You guys can keep your straight spine Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

You guys can keep your straight spine Stretch

Post by Evil D »

I'd buy them all with the curvy spine just so I could mod the tips like this.

Every time I get this one out it makes me question a lot of my purchases. Still one of the best slicing SE knives I've tried, and the one that started it all for me. Even though it was technically my third SE (I think) it was the one that opened my eyes to FFG/SE. Just look at the crazy distal taper this knife has, which you can see in how the height of the serrations gets shorter as it moves towards the tip. This spine regrind just makes it even more high performance.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Re: You guys can keep your straight spine Stretch

Post by Mushroom »

I like that a lot. It offers the acute point of an upswept blade but still keeps the tip low and in line with the handle. It resolves the main issue I have with upswept tips in that the tip usually ends up angled too high for my liking. This is a nice solution to that.
-Nick :bug-red
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Excuse my ignorance: In your SE performance post with a photo of many SE knives, is that the Stretch that in the photograph? Did you grind down the hump near the tip or am I missing something?
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

mongo1958 wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:34 am
Excuse my ignorance: In your SE performance post with a photo of many SE knives, is that the Stretch that in the photograph? Did you grind down the hump near the tip or am I missing something?

Same knife. The hump at the tip of the blade got ground down and I've also sharpened it a bit and tried to mellow out the teeth some. This knife was also my sharpening learning guinea pig and it got worked over with a tapered diamond rods and the serrations got screwed up a bit so I did some work on the Sharpmaker to get them in the right shape and angle again.
~David
benben

Post by benben »

Great looking knife David, my old PE Stretch is still one of the smoothest opening knives I own, think I’ll carry it today!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

You should try the SE XL Stretch. It will rock your(spyderedge) world. No need for mods. ''Crisp'' tip(to quote Eric Glesser) and thin bte.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:38 am
You should try the SE XL Stretch. It will rock your(spyderedge) world. No need for mods. ''Crisp'' tip(to quote Eric Glesser) and thin bte.

+1
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

If they ever release the SE Chaparral you’ll forget all about how slicy the Stretch is.

My SE stretch is my get stuff done knife. It’s more than enough for chorin around the house or hiking or whatever. During the week though I usually carry something that looks less aggressive in the office.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Nicer looking than any other version of the Stretch, in my opinion. Great eye for functional aesthetics and the talent to pull off the mod. Super job, David!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Definitely get C01 Worker vibes here.

I like the modified clip on the straight spine better, but I do see the appeal here. Looks fittingly evil.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:06 pm

I like the modified clip on the straight spine better, but I do see the appeal here. Looks fittingly evil.

That is absolutely the appeal for me. At some point the Worker (much like the Ayoob) went from looking kind of stupid to suddenly looking beautiful and extremely useful, and I've been wanting a modern version of the Worker for the longest time. I could probably grind up a blade and make one functionally similar but I wish that blade design with the small secondary edge on top was an idea that Spyderco explored more.
~David
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:54 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:06 pm

That is absolutely the appeal for me. At some point the Worker (much like the Ayoob) went from looking kind of stupid to suddenly looking beautiful and extremely useful, and I've been wanting a modern version of the Worker for the longest time. I could probably grind up a blade and make one functionally similar but I wish that blade design with the small secondary edge on top was an idea that Spyderco explored more.
OH yeah, like a Bowie blade with SE with a short secondary PE on top.
Man, that would be awesome.😃
OK, maybe not a worker blade, but a Bowie blade would still be cool.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Very nice David ! I almost bought another Stretch this morning but went into another direction . That tip is awesome . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

This has me thinking. I found an old Stretch 1 in ZDP 189 that had been lost for like 9 years and wasn’t cleaned after processing a deer, so it looked rough. I took it all apart and cleaned it out and started hand grinding the blade to remove the rusted steel and thin it out. But now I’m thinking a proper regrind and change in blade profile to have that nice needle tip would be a great thing to do to that blade. I’m a sucker for thin, pointy tips, and those pictures in the first post seem are very much to my liking.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

This is really cool. Bet it's a great steak knife. I gotta try out the Stretch 1 someday.
bob-atlatl

Post by bob-atlatl »

Also like the modified clip on my straight spine Stretch2 in K390.
My goto knife for that size blade.
... rule #9 ...
petz462

Post by petz462 »

Instead of buying a new Pacific Salt SE on the Summer Sale, I bought this guy on the secondary market. It's used and needs sharpening and hopefully I won't botch that up, I do have a Sharpmaker. As is it just tears paper, but it did destroy a cardboard box pretty easily.
David, I was admiring the work you did on your knife above. I think I'll use this one for awhile as is and and see how I like it but it does make me curious. Would you mind discussing what you used to grind off the hump and any special techniques?
thanks,
Dave

Dave
USAF Retired
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

petz462 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:36 pm
Instead of buying a new Pacific Salt SE on the Summer Sale, I bought this guy on the secondary market. It's used and needs sharpening and hopefully I won't botch that up, I do have a Sharpmaker. As is it just tears paper, but it did destroy a cardboard box pretty easily.
David, I was admiring the work you did on your knife above. I think I'll use this one for awhile as is and and see how I like it but it does make me curious. Would you mind discussing what you used to grind off the hump and any special techniques?
thanks,
Dave

Funny this thread should get a bump as I reprofile my SE Stretch XL tonight. If you have diamond rods for the Sharpmaker I highly recommend them. Still a bit of a slow process but it’s coming along nicely.
petz462

Post by petz462 »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:56 pm
petz462 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:36 pm
thanks,
Dave

Funny this thread should get a bump as I reprofile my SE Stretch XL tonight. If you have diamond rods for the Sharpmaker I highly recommend them. Still a bit of a slow process but it’s coming along nicely.
No diamonds but I do have new CBN rods, guessing they will do ok?
Dave
USAF Retired
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:55 am
Me likey!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi