Best Spyderco for Backpacking

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Best Spyderco for Backpacking

Post by Bolster »

"In the spring, some men's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of...backpacking!" (Apologies to Tennyson.) As I'm shaking out my down quilt and researching the purchase of a bear canister, I need to choose a knife to take with. It's time to do an updated review of Spyderco's offerings for this purpose. What do you suggest?

• If you happen to suggest a salt knife, why? Do you typically get your knives wet during backpacking, have you had rust problems? I'm asking because I've not had backcountry rust issues.
• Tell me where you would carry the knife. (Front pockets are difficult with a pack.)
• Would you ask your backpacking knife to be adept at SD (assuming a longer blade in that case), or would you go for the lightest weight possible with a short blade?
• Do you typically put knife to wood on a pack trip? If so, what are you whittling and why? (Here in Calif and I think also Arizona open fires are mostly prohibited so feather sticks are out.)
• What are your most typical uses for your knife on a pack trip?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Re: Best Spyderco for Backpacking

Post by Wartstein »

I assume we´re talking folders? If so:

Pacific Salt SE (in my case the "1" and in H1) - or the Salt 2 SE if I bring a fixed blade too.

- The "Salt" aspect is not important at all to me, even a tool steel would be fine. This despite my knives certainly get (and stay for a while) wet on most backpacking trips. Be it from rain, snow, mud or stuff I cut or just moisture in pocket or pack. I still don´t have rust problems though or would not mind a few spots on a blade

- Used to carry my folders rfp when backpacking, but lost an Endura while doing so (longer knives can get pushed out of the pocket when doing high steps). Now pretty much all of my PACKS do have a front pocket or I attach a small pouch to the hip belt where I keep the folder. When not wearing the pack: RFP in camp, IWB on the move (again, outdoors and doing a lot of high steps. Don´t like iwb generally)

- SD is not on my mind when backpacking. Still longer blade (if I just carry folder!): More versatile, stays sharp longer, better at food prep...

- Yes, I do make fires for cooking and warming, so wood is in my mind. I found SE to be perfectly suited for that kind of wood cutting! Whittles great due to the chisel grind (as long as one just does rough pointy sticks or whatever) and makes amazingly fine feathersticks

- Uses?_: Food prep, starting fires, removing ticks, repairing stuff, cutting branches for a "matress" or shelters, emergency use (for makeshift splints or crutches), scraping resin from palms or snow from ski climbing skins, and certainly more not on my mind right now... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Added to my post above:

SE over PE, on a folder!

- Just stays sharp a lot longer, and will still decently separate matter when actually / technically NOT really sharp anymore...
- Even the kind of batoning I do with folders (smaller branches, just for making kindling) is no problem for the "teeth".
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:27 pm
• have you had rust problems? I'm asking because I've not had backcountry rust issues.

My last backpacking trip was about five years go. I think my days of epic backpacking adventures have come to an end. My rough-use, do it all, maybe lose it, sacrificial beater knife is a Manix 2 LW REX45. It's light enough, but big enough to do what I need. Smaller knives always leave me wanting for something bigger.

Bolster wrote:
• Tell me where you would carry the knife.

Clipped to front pocket. It works for me.

Bolster wrote:
• Would you ask your backpacking knife to be adept at SD

YES! OF COURSE! Although traipsing through the hills is infinitely safer than walking down the street in the city, EVERY knife I own can be used for serious business if the need arises.
Bolster wrote:
• Do you typically put knife to wood on a pack trip?

Generally not. In the dry climes of Socal, finding big wood is the challenge. Making kindling isn't. There's plenty of pine needles or crumbling logs to use.

Bolster wrote:

Making dinner. Backpacking with me is a culinary extravaganza. I'm strong and stubborn enough to carry the extra weight.
Matus

Post by Matus »

It really depends what YOUR use will be. I would tend to prefer a lightweight fixed blade (TRC Classic Freedom in my case, so not a Spydie) over a folder, but if all you will be doing is opening some ready-meal package, slice some food or such, then a medium/large sized folder will be more than enough. For a rust resistant, yet easy to re-sharpen, full size folder I would get either the Siren or the Caribbean. Humididy in the air will be less of an issue compared to your own sweat (if you keep the knife in a pants pocket for example).

Bottom line - if no particular use or demanding conditions are expected - just take whatever you like to carry. If you expect doing whatever wood related work - take that folder and add a dedicated bushcrafter of choice.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
K1500

Post by K1500 »

Pacific salt PE, because it’s big, light, and easily sharpened in the field with a small rod if needed. Rustproof helps, but VG10 works in that regard. It’s more about the weight reduction of the salt without any liner weights and the TI clip.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

It’s not the answer anyone on this particular forum wants to hear but modern day backpacking does not require a knife. Yet I still make sure to bring at least one with me every time I go out backpacking.

Ive had numerous knives in even VG10 show rust with normal use and I still don't believe a Salt series model is necessary for backpacking.

I usually carry a folder and not always in the same spot. Sometimes I carry in waistband but other times ill store it in my backpack to make sure I don't accidentally drop it somehow. It’s rarely ever needed though, so I tend to prioritize the comfort of not having it in my waistband while hiking. The hip pocket built into my backpack is a good spot for easy access.

For self defense? No, not even a consideration for me but I guess it could be a last ditch option. I’d much sooner prioritize weight over self defense capability.

Even in New England, I never even think about making a fire. I usually don't have the time anyway. Ill spend the better part of the day hiking and then get to camp in the early evening. Usually enough time to set up camp and eat before hikers midnight.

My most typical uses are food prep and that’s it. Usually that food prep consists of slicing the top off of a dehydrated meal bag… I basically only bring a knife with me because I’m helplessly obsessed with Spyderco.

I like to carry a Para 3 LW while backpacking. Its a nice lightweight knife and cuts open dehydrated meals as good as the rest of them… Also, the Junior and Ouroboros have come with me on a bunch of backpacking trips. They’re light enough and I like the broad shaped blades.
-Nick :bug-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I forgot to ask:

• Would you take any sharpening device to re-sharpen in the field?

...and...
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:49 pm
I assume we´re talking folders?

Not necessarily...interested in what folks would take and why. I lean toward a fixie myself but I have taken folders in the past and they've been very satisfactory.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm only casual at this stuff at best, more of a family hike out in a large state park kind of guy so I probably don't look at this as seriously as others...

But I think I'd take my MagnaCut Mule. Because it's a fixed blade, so will be stronger than a folder, it's small enough to carry but big enough for most tasks (though maybe a little small for real bushcraft stuff), and MagnaCut is basically maintenance free.

Folder wise I'd probably take a Military of some flavor just because it has a good size to weight ratio.

If weight is critical, take the scales off the mule.

For low weight folder I'd go with a LC200N Pacific even though I don't like the handle, again for the size to weight ratio. For even smaller/lighter I'd go with the MagnaCut Native 5.

All carried either in right front pocket or on my belt in that general area.

In the woods, everything is for self defense, especially if I'm somewhere that puts me in the food chain. Not much of that where I live though.

All knives get used for carving something, even just mundane whittling. Any of them could be used for fire prep, people overthink that part too much. You can make feather sticks with any knife blade.

Typical uses are to carve a walking stick, maybe make a fire but usually not. Realistically used more for photo opportunities for the internet lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Bolster wrote:
"In the spring, some men's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of...backpacking!" (Apologies to Tennyson.) As I'm shaking out my down quilt and researching the purchase of a bear canister, I need to choose a knife to take with. It's time to do an updated review of Spyderco's offerings for this purpose. What do you suggest?
One of my favorite topics. Though I feel we've been down this road before, I'm more than happy to join in, again!
As with any, or at least most topics concerning practical use, I believe our frame of reference varies widely. Backpacking can mean so many things for different people. Even I myself enjoy such a wide range of activities that all fall under the "backpacking" umbrella, that tend to require radically different priorities and choices. I predict the answers in this thread will reflect this diversity, and maybe not be as useful for guidance, but it will be interesting to get a glimpse into the habits of others nonetheless.
Bolster wrote:
• If you happen to suggest a salt knife, why? Do you typically get your knives wet during backpacking, have you had rust problems? I'm asking because I've not had backcountry rust issues.
For me it's often a salt knife. It doesn't always have to be, but it's often what I end up with as it solves several possible concerns. Most important among those are weight and need for maintenance. And as I touched on above, my outdoor related interests cover such a wide range of activities that while salts aren't strictly needed for all of them, there is a lot of cross over potential. There's also this thing about living where the gulf stream intersects with the arctic, it's probably not the most favorable climate for less stainless steels. Fällknivens laminated VG-10 has proved to be mostly sufficient for inland use, while carbon steels like 3V has fared terribly for me.
Bolster wrote:
• Tell me where you would carry the knife. (Front pockets are difficult with a pack.)
Again, it depends. Often in my back pocket, if I have one. In many instances it's not a big concern and I'll be more than willing to carry it in my backpack if that's more convenient/comfortable. If weight and mobility is a big priority, I'll carry just a Victorinox alox Bantam in a small pocket organizer together with a credit card, some cash and a tiny AAA flashlight, where this organizer replaces my regular wallet in my LFP.
Bolster wrote:
• Would you ask your backpacking knife to be adept at SD (assuming a longer blade in that case), or would you go for the lightest weight possible with a short blade?
No. Not concerned about SD and wouldn't know how to turn such an instrument of conflict escalation to my favor.
Bolster wrote:
• Do you typically put knife to wood on a pack trip? If so, what are you whittling and why? (Here in Calif and I think also Arizona open fires are mostly prohibited so feather sticks are out.)
Typically no, but leaving it at that would be a bit misleading. When we do the less weight conscious forms of backpacking (typically shorter, canoe based etc.), there's often quite a lot of wood and fires involved. And more advanced food too. But then again, this changes the priorities and the weight equation, so a fixed blade and a folding saw is likely to come along as well.
Making feather sticks, batoning logs into smaller pieces, making sausage-/marshmallow sticks, carving/keeping the kids busy practicing their artistic skills are typical things going on when a knife is put to wood.
Bolster wrote:
I'd say food is way up there. I try to avoid freeze dried food as much as possible, and a knife becomes rather important for anything more involved.
I often combine backpacking with fishing and to some extent hunting, so processing catch, cutting fishing line, clearing a fishing spot/hunting post or even a campsite of obstacles like thin branches and underwood.
Repairs, wound treatments and all the other stuff you didn't plan for, but yet try to be prepared for.

So what's the best Spyderco for all of this?
Man, if I knew that I'd have a lot less knives :)
It's impossible to not mention the Salt 2 FFG, it's probably the best one size fits all solution for me. I'm more deliberate than that though, so when it comes down to hard stats, it might not even be my most carried Spyderco for backpacking.
Overall, for my use it's probably more or less a tie between the Salt 2 FFG, Pac Salt 2 FFG and Native 5 salt.

I look forward to getting my hands on a MC UKPK and hopefully a SXL Salt. I think they can give the Salt and Pac Salt, respectively, a run for their money.

Keeping it short and on the money, as always ;)
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

These two in wb 🥾👍
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

The Moran is a good fixed blade pack knife.
benben

Post by benben »

Sounds like a new K390 Enuff could be in your future?
kobold

Post by kobold »

Depends on the area. For fighting thick vegetation, a Tasman SE would be my pick. But if the trail is in a good shape anything small and light is fine. A Native or just a Dragonfly even. Definitely use a lanyard + shackle to secure it.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

you guys carry a backpack? i just tuck a roadie into my loincloth and disappear into the wilds.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:46 am
you guys carry a backpack? i just tuck a roadie into my loincloth and disappear into the wilds.

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If weight is a concern, as has been said, a Pac Salt or Salt 2 are called for. Super light, both of them. If not, then a Moran fixed blade. Still pretty light. I'd likely go for the Moran.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The often overlooked Siren might be an excellent choice.

I used to use the Moran for day tripping, and sometimes the Street Bowie.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Vamais

Post by Vamais »

Depends on where I'm at or what I'm doing.

If bears, mountain lions, etc. are a concern, I would want a fixed blade. If bad things happen and you end up with a big critter on top of you, you'll probably be wishing for a big knife if you don't have one.

Other than that, I'd go with whatever you can hold on to well that has the blade shape you like. Tired, cold, or numb hands make trying to hold on to some knives feel like trying to hold on to an icicle (think Kershaw Leek).
-AHAB
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

For longer trips a razor blade will cut food packages, lines, and moleskin with minimal weight penalty. For overnight trips where I'm gonna do food prep I like the Pacific Salt.

I agree with Mushroom that a knife is not strictly needed for modern backpacking. Especially for the Sierras since open fires aren't permitted and all your food needs to fit in a bear canister. That said, if I were to recommend a Spyderco to take backpacking its the Dragonfly 2 which can do anything I'd need and more without adding much weight or bulk.