FRN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rufus

FRN

Post by rufus »

How durable is the frn handle material ? Does knifes with this handle material have a steel liner behind them ?
sal

Re: FRN

Post by sal »

Hi Rufus,

FRN is very durable. Some models ave liners, some do not.

sal
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Yes, What Sal said!!!!
I like the FRN as much as the G10 but my experience with either one is limited.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Strong, durable, and light weight. Recommended!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I have a FRN knife with no liners that is something like 15 years old, has been used (and abused) for most of his lifetime and the handle is still in very good condition. I had to regrind the blade since it was used as a screwdriver by the previous owner.

The blade marks easier than the handle ;)

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Bennett

Post by Bennett »

rufus wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:06 pm
How durable is the frn handle material ? Does knifes with this handle material have a steel liner behind them ?
I’ve been really enjoying Native 5 lightweights for a smaller carry. Not having liners, the FRN seems harder then say a Stretch 2 in K390 (wish there were more no hump Stretch 2 models) which has liners. I really like the feel and look of the mold injected patterns done on all Spyderco. I have an Endura from the 90s, handles never cracked.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=54136
Attachments
AA62DD9E-ECF3-4C13-A176-442EB34CCE28.jpeg
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

It's my favorite handle material.
MNOSD member 0011
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Durable enough that you can break the blade before you break the handle.

Some people do think they can feel flimsy, some models can be squeezed and you'll feel some flex but it has never effected strength in my experience.

I once destroyed a Manix 2 Lightweight (FRCP, slightly different than FRN but similar enough for comparison) and it took a lot of very deliberate effort to break it apart.

IMO the new version of linerless FRN with molded 3D underside that aids in rigidity are nothing short of "future knives". If you went back in time to the '60s with a MagnaCut Native 5 it would seem like space magic.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bennett,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

It's fine. Spyderco has been using it for decades. Any kinks were doubtless worked out ages upon ages ago.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Highly recommend FRN , I have never had any issues with the material. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

It's so solid that Spyderco started to remove the liners entirely on some models : Native 5 lightweight and Para 3 lightweight.
Vamais

Post by Vamais »

I prefer FRN to G10, hands down. The bi-directional FRN handles have better grip, and textured G10 wears smooth over time.

To understand the difference between them, you need to know a little bit about composites.

Both G10 and FRN are composites of plastic and fiberglass. FRN stands for "fiberglass reinforced nylon", or "fiber reinforced nylon". Basically it's nylon (a thermoplastic) with short fiberglass fibers mixed it. It can be injection molded if the fibers aren't too long, which makes it possible to make shaped handles for not very much money.

G10, I believe, is sheets of fiberglass cloth impregnated/glued together with epoxy (a thermoset plastic). Because the fibers are continuous, you can get more strength/stiffness out of G10 FOR A GIVEN GEOMETRY. However, the epoxy is not super tough, and if you impact the edge of a G10 slab hard enough, you can get delamination of the fiberglass layers (It happened to me when I dropped a manix 2 xl on concrete). The nylon thermoplasic in FRN is much tougher, just not as stiff. It is more likely to deform than crack. The difference in stiffness doesn't make too much difference if the knife has steel liners.

About the texture on G10:

The texture you see on G10 scales is from something called "peel-ply". When the layers of fiberglass are glued together, they are put on a flat surface (such as a sheet of glass or metal) and compressed to remove as much air/voids as possible (voids in the matrix--the epoxy in this case--make the composite weaker). To keep the G10 from being glued to the flat surface, a layer of fabric called peel-ply is used as a barrier. The epoxy doesn't really stick to the peel ply. The texture of the peel-ply weave gets pressed into the epoxy on the surface, and that's where you get the texture from. Use a peel-ply with a different weave, and you will get a different texture.
Last edited by Vamais on Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
-AHAB
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Very durable…I dropped my H1 Dfly out of my pocket once from like 50/60 ft while in a tree and it landed on some rocks cause that’s basically the only thing underneath me as we were on the side of a mountain and were doing some vista pruning and it bounced and ricocheted off a whole bunch of stuff…none the worse for wear and still in my pocket everyday…the hardware coating has partially worn off but that’s like patina to me 👊

araneae

Post by araneae »

I've seen exactly one FRN handle broken in my time on this forum and it was run over by a bobcat while stuck into the ground blade first. It's plenty tough, even with no liners.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

araneae wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:09 pm
I've seen exactly one FRN handle broken in my time on this forum and it was run over by a bobcat while stuck into the ground blade first. It's plenty tough, even with no liners.
That's a great story. Thanks
James Y

Post by James Y »

Xformer wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:30 pm
It's so solid that Spyderco started to remove the liners entirely on some models : Native 5 lightweight and Para 3 lightweight.

Spyderco's FRN back locks originally had no liners at all, just like the FRN Salts. They started incorporating liners on FRN back locks with the Delica 4/Endura 4.

FRN with liners is fine, but I actually prefer no liners. It's still plenty strong, but linerless has fewer places for moisture to become trapped.

Jim
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

It's very durable. You aren't gonna break it, maybe you can get little dents in it from dropping your knife but that's about it.
Bennett

Post by Bennett »

sal wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:05 pm
Hi Bennett,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you very much Mr. Glesser.
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

The first knife that I had with FRN handles was more flexible than I liked. That was over 20 years ago so it is not a recent observation but a couple of days ago I received a new Delica with liners and it is a much improved handle. I am looking forward to see how this handle does but it looks and feels very solid.