I Created a 3D Printed Sheath That Should Work With (almost) All Scales (WORK IN PROGRESS)

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
spiritbender

I Created a 3D Printed Sheath That Should Work With (almost) All Scales (WORK IN PROGRESS)

Post by spiritbender »

Hello fellow spider enthusiasts! I have been working on a sheath that is nearly entirely 3d printed. It does require 6 M3 bolts/nuts. It can be printed without supports, but I recommend them, only for the recesses for the nuts/bolts.

I printed in PLA, this seems to work fine. My test was done with all components except the spring printed with a .6mm nozzle with 3 outer layers. The spring was printed with a .4mm nozzle and 3 outer layers (the .6mm did not have the resolution).

I tried attaching the STL's but the forum attachment uploader didn't seem to like them.

This is a work in progress and still has many issues, as follows:

1. Blade wiggles a little side to side/ will rattle if your knife has been used heavily and the blade is smaller due to sharpening.

2. The detent that holds it in needs to be tuned better, it is a little weak right now.

3. Need to develop mounting system using existing bolts.

4. Insertion of knife in sheath requires practice, need to find a way to make it more user friendly.

5. More that I am sure I am not thinking of.

Here are some pictures of the design, I will go over them in more detail below the pics.

Pics of prints:
real_top.jpeg
real_bottom.jpeg

Pics of 3D model:

Completed pics:
completed_top (Custom).png
complete_bottom (Custom).png

Bottom of the sheath uses the spydie hole (in combination with the printed spring, discussed below) as a detent to keep the knife in the sheath. It also contains a ramp to help keep the blade from rattling as much.
bottom.jpg
The top of the sheath is fairly simple, aside from the slot that holds the printed spring.

top (Custom).png
complete_top (Custom).png
The spring itself:
spring (Custom).png
Please see this image for some tips on using the sheath:
completed_top (Custom)_notes.jpg
Thank you for reading!! If you have any questions please let me know.
JRinFL

Re: I Created a 3D Printed Sheath That Should Work With (almost) All Scales (WORK IN PROGRESS)

Post by JRinFL »

Nice model! Thanks for making it available to the community.

Now I need to get off my rear and get my printer setup.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RustyIron

Re: I Created a 3D Printed Sheath That Should Work With (almost) All Scales (WORK IN PROGRESS)

Post by RustyIron »

That's some pretty fancy printing.
Thanks for showing us.
bob-atlatl

Post by bob-atlatl »

Nice..
... rule #9 ...
spiritbender

Post by spiritbender »

Thanks!

Went ahead and published the files for printing on Prusa Printables. Link below:

https://www.printables.com/model/463604 ... ife-sheath
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

That’s very clever.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Awesome!
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Looks good!
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Nice design. You're inspiring me to buy a printer.