Fake GITD Delica?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Traditional.Sharpening

Fake GITD Delica?

Post by Traditional.Sharpening »

I just picked up one of these Glow In the Dark Delica 4's from not an authorized dealer, wish I would have checked the list first) and can't help but wonder (is it fake??) as something seemed too good to be true that they would even have stock of these left as I believe these were made at least a couple years back.

Some things I noticed that seemed off were that the action has some grit in it on the first few mm's of opening the blade. My other Delica is buttery smooth all the way straight from Spyderco. The box looks different than the other Delica, it is much more matte than the Foliage Green Delica which is more glossy. The box also does not slide out easily and seems to bind, it also came with a sheet of paper with copy from Spyderco. This was printed on a smaller sheet, not printer paper.

Last edited by Traditional.Sharpening on Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
JRinFL

Re: Fake GITD Delica From Botach?

Post by JRinFL »

I'm no expert, but that seems legitimate to me. I read somewhere here that the current boxes have changed a bit over time so I'm not sure the box alone is a 100% reliable indicator of a fake.

The texture of the FRN, the mold accuracy, the grind, and the engraving all appear to be genuine Spyderco.

Let's see what other say.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
DSH007

Re: Fake GITD Delica?

Post by DSH007 »

Looks legit to me. Aside from the standard visual cues on the knife looking correct, the "sheet of paper with copy from Spyderco" also provides a clue to the knife's authenticity. The first paragraph explains that this Delica is a wholesale retailer/distributor exclusive model. Sportsmans Supply, Inc is a distributor of sporting goods equipment and it is quite possible that their "sales channels" (where you bought the knife) include dealers that may not be on the Spyderco "authorized dealer" list. If investigated further, I would not be surprised to learn that wherever you bought this particular knife had a business relationship with Sportsmans Supply, Inc.. Given the evidence presented, I don't see anything suspicious about this knife..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
steelcity16

Re: Fake GITD Delica?

Post by steelcity16 »

I have more Seki knives than probably 99% of the users here and I carry a Delica or Endela almost every day. I have a handful of the GITD Delicas and that one is for sure legit. The box and paperwork can vary as small changes are made in the production process over time and some stock is older than others. Rest easy and carry it with pride!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red