Zome + Super Blue Sprint!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Zome + Super Blue Sprint!

Post by awa54 »

The original Super Blue full Sakai series Sprint was released right at the beginning of my serious Spyderco addiction and I only managed to grab a Manbug and Stretch before they were all gone, since the Delica and D'Fly sold through quickly in true Sprint run fashion (thought back then it was days or weeks to full sellout, as opposed to minutes, like it is now).

...so I'm glad to finally be able to get a Delica in this steel, despite having mostly moved on to higher wear tool steels and M390-ish stainless for my folding knife needs.

What interests me almost as much as the re-issue of this knife, is the way it's being offered: as an SFO exclusive...

Is this a harbinger of things to come, with future Sprints offered at "retail" direct from Spyderco only and retailer/distributor Exclusives as the only "special" Spydies that make it out into the wider retail world at MAP, or is this a special/test case?
If it is, this may be good for AFIs, since this run has been available for weeks now, rather than gone in a heartbeat.

Either way, I'm thankful to have gotten a second chance on this one, even if I did have to wait a decade :rofl
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
p_atrick

Re: Zome + Super Blue Sprint!

Post by p_atrick »

I'm curious if the High Performance Delica will distributed in the same manner as the Super Blue Delica.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I just hope they come out with an Endura is this configuration.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

The Caly jr blade would look really cool with a stainless outer clad and line for the inner steel one that will patina over time
:bug-red-white
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I'd be interested to know if anyone is actually buying these... seems like lots of Spydiefolk may be taking a pass on this one?

If this had been released eight years ago, I'd have expected the community to snap them all up quickly, but now there doesn't even seem to be another thread up discussing it, at least not one that's anywhere near the front page of the forum.
-David

awa54

Post by awa54 »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:04 pm
The Caly jr blade would look really cool with a stainless outer clad and line for the inner steel one that will patina over time

...pretty sure that Moki (maker of the Caly Jr.) works in solid SB only, while Sakai (the Delica etc. family) prefers the laminate. Sakai has been getting more flexible about what steels it uses though, so maybe there could be a hope of Moki doing a similar thing, though the Caly Jr. Sprint from a few years back stuck around for a good while before selling out, so it might be a really hard sell to convince Spyderco to do yet another run of it.
-David

Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Moki uses clad ZDP, so why wouldn't they use clad SB?
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Bemo wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:41 am
That’s what I was thinking as well. And even if it’s not superblue, a San mai Caly Jr blade with some other high quality Japanese high carbon steel that gathers a nice patina would still be a great idea
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

awa54 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:31 pm
I'd be interested to know if anyone is actually buying these... seems like lots of Spydiefolk may be taking a pass on this one?

If this had been released eight years ago, I'd have expected the community to snap them all up quickly, but now there doesn't even seem to be another thread up discussing it, at least not one that's anywhere near the front page of the forum.
I definitely bought the Delica. My superblue Delica was my favorite knife back when I had it. It was my trusted companion for a couple years before I gave it to my brother when he became a cop, and I've missed it ever since. Over the years, I paid some outrageous eBay prices to get another superblue Delica, but I jumped at the chance to snap one of these up. I don't like zome, but this is the first one I did like, and I happen to like it better than the original's gray scales.
--Jeremy
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

I wasn’t going to pick up one of these new Zome Superblue Delicas but I am reconsidering that position. It might be fun to carry a laminated blade.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

DavidNM wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:11 am
I wasn’t going to pick up one of these new Zome Superblue Delicas but I am reconsidering that position. It might be fun to carry a laminated blade.
I recommend the Knife Center exclusive. Pakkawood is some good looking stuff. When I ordered mine, I asked them to send me one with even lamination lines. They included a little note about my request and the blade looked as even as one could expect.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

awa54 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:07 pm
...so I'm glad to finally be able to get a Delica in this steel.
What steel are you talking about?
EDIT: Disregard, I looked it up.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
Skar

Post by Skar »

I really enjoy the super blue steel.
Easy to work with and takes a sharp edge, holds the edge decently long.
I knew I would get one as soon as I saw it.

I don’t know about the plans pertaining to release products through sfo. Either way I’m happy they did this one.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bemo wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:41 am

Despite owning a CF/ZDP Caly 3 the fact that it's a laminated Hitachi steel had escaped me as I wrote that post...
I think maybe it was that Sakai wouldn't work in homogenous SB, only laminate and Moki just happened to have made all of their SB blades from solid stock?

The threads that dug into that subject are almost a decade old at this point, so I haven't tried to chase them down.
-David

DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

I just ordered one of those blue zone Dragonfly’s in that super blue laminated steel to try out. I hope I like it better than the VG10 version that I currently own.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

DavidNM wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:05 pm
I just ordered one of those blue zone Dragonfly’s in that super blue laminated steel to try out. I hope I like it better than the VG10 version that I currently own.

Well, it's still a Dragonfly... which IMO is its most important feature. If you aren't a fan of the design, then an exotic steel won't change that.

The SB variant has exposed edge steel that isn't at all stain resistant, while VG-10 has passable stain resistance.
The SB steel is harder, yet easier to grind and will both take a slightly finer edge and do so with less effort and expertise required than the VG-10.
VG-10 is more difficult to get great sharpening results with than SB, especially if you use natural stones, or non-ceramic water stones, it isn't however a hard steel to sharpen, SB is just very easy to get excellent results with (as are many low alloy carbon steels).

Most users seem to value the stainlessness and longer edge retention of VG-10 over the sharpening response of Super blue.

One way or the other, You'll know soon!
-David

Brant

Post by Brant »

awa54 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:31 pm
I nabbed 2 of the Dragonfly’s in this run, one of each blade. I carry the plain blade all the time, and it’s still razor sharp.
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

I am looking forward to trying out the blade steel. I am not very fond of FRN handles but for the price I decided to try it out. It looks like I will see mine on Wednesday.
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

My Zome + Super Blue Steel Dragonfly arrived this evening. Yeah, I know. That isn’t a Dragonfly but a Delica. Some one make a mistake somewhere along the line. I am going to contact Spyderco tomorrow about it.
I am not really all that inclined to send it back so I will see if I can just pay the difference. I haven’t had a Delica in over 20 years, the one I had was where the pocket clip was molded FRN and part of the handle. I am going to give this one a try and see if I like it any better.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I recently started carrying a Delica. It was a fun change. What a serendipitous mixup you have.