New Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189 in BRG please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

New Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189 in BRG please

Post by Doc Dan »

@Sal, can we please have a new Dragonfly 2 in ZDP-189 (laminated is okay) and British Racing Green FRN? My one and only is the Nishijin and it is irreplaceable so I don't carry it any longer. The BRG is a great color, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Re: New Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189 in BRG please

Post by Doc Dan »

The Dragonfly is the perfect pocket knife. It was a genius creation. The FRN makes it a lot more pocket friendly and the ZDP-189 makes for a long lasting edge. The lamination would give the steel protection from corrosion. Yep, take my money already.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:11 pm
The Dragonfly is the perfect pocket knife. It was a genius creation. The FRN makes it a lot more pocket friendly and the ZDP-189 makes for a long lasting edge. The lamination would give the steel protection from corrosion. Yep, take my money already.
I would prefer one in powder blue and add a Delica while we’re there…
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

I would love to buy a Dragonfly in the dark blue G-10 handle and S110V blade steel. The same treatment Spyderco has done with the Military and the Native 5.
olywa

Post by olywa »

The Dragonfly was my first Spydie in ZDP-189. I still have it, along with a Delica, Endura, and Stretch 2.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

100% in support of this. Thanks for starting the thread, Dan.

I’ve been carrying my Cruwear Dragonfly a lot lately and it reminded me how great the lightweight platform is. ZDP is a fantastic steel for the platform, as it just keeps on cutting and cutting.

I’d love to be able to buy a ZDP Dragonfly, and the BRG color is fantastic.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:23 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:11 pm
I would prefer one in powder blue and add a Delica while we’re there…
I wouldn't argue with a powder blue ZDP-189 Dragonfly. No way! We can but dream.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I'm just curious as to why blue/zdp189 when there is the blue/k390 available?
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

prndltech wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:02 am
I don't think he asked for blue but rather for the green used on ZDP knives (which is called british racing green).

Personally now that I have a K390 Dragonfly I don't really feel a need for a ZDP Dfly ! But my ZDP needs are already fullfilled (Ladybug especially :smiling-heart-eyes ).
Having some Seki FRN models made with laminated ZDP would sure be cool though.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
z1r

Post by z1r »

My ZDP DF2 is in my pocket nearly every single day.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Count me in , not that I tire of Yellow ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ZDP-189 Dfly was my first Spyderco as well. If I only knew how much that knife was really gonna cost me :rofl

I'd be in for another run. Great steel, great knife.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Two threads on the front page requesting knives in ZDP, I had to check and see what year it is. This steel seemed like the height of blade technology when I joined this forum and then fell off the charts. I had a love hate relationship with it because I bought some early on in my sharpening growing pains days and it very quickly showed me all the wrong things I was doing. I still have a FFG ZDP Ladybug and I still carry it on my keys now and then.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
z1r

Post by z1r »

For me ZDP and K390 are very similar. I carry a ZDP DF2 and K390 Endela nearly every day. I rotate a knife in here and there, but this is generally my M-F carry. Personally, I find ZDP a bit harder to sharpen, certainly more effort required to reprofile. But, once there, I find it easy to maintain and I feel I can get a sharper edge on ZDP. I literally buy up any ZDP Spyderco I find. Almost bought another Endura but since I can't carry one, I passed. I nearly wept when my ZDP Ladybug's back lock stopped working. But a little judicious filing fixed it.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

While not nearly as stainless, K390 is better in every other measurable and pleasurable way. However, British Racing Green might be the best color FRN to ever come from Seki IMO.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I'll be frank and state that I like K390 better, but the color on the ZDP-189 is very nice. I do like ZDP-189, however, and it deserves to live and not go the way of the dodo. It takes a very keen edge and makes one cuss it when sharpening. It's kind of like marrying the girl of your dreams. You love the way she looks but some of her quirks drive you crazy.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

ZDP189 is “better” for me. That being said K390 is an awesome steel. We all should stop using “best” or “better” when it comes to steels. We know better :winking-tongue
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

I’d buy this.
endura3

Post by endura3 »

prndltech wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:02 am
One other potential benefit to ZDP-189 relative to steels like K390 is that its carbide volume is made up of softer chromium carbide instead of vanadium carbide or other very hard alloys. This means that it can be sharpened more effectively with a wider variety of mediums and it's not necessary to use diamond or CBN to get an ideal edge.

I believe that was actually one of the design goals for ZDP - maximizing wear resistance from chromium carbide alone. Not a huge deal for me personally, but I can imagine it's a nice material for folks who like to use more traditional sharpening mediums.
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I would be in for a clad zpd189 dragonfly in the same brg color. Would probably get more than one.