Striving For a Healthy Long Life

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Naperville

Striving For a Healthy Long Life

Post by Naperville »

THIS POST IS EDITED FREQUENTLY

I have a new Samsung 23S phone now, and it records steps, so I'll be using that for my walks.

My daily supplements as of 06/01/2023:
- Centrum Silver(1/day)
- Aspirin 81mg(1/day)
- Nature Made Cholest-Off Plus(2/2x/day)
- Nicotinamide Riboside (NR)(2/2x/day)
- Ubiquinol CoQ10 100mg(1/2x/day)
- Metamucil Psyllium Husk (5/3x/day)
- Omega-3s 1065mg(1/3x/day)
- Odorless Garlic 3600mg(1/3x/day)

My daily supplements as of 07/01/2023:
SUPPLEMENTS
- Aspririn 81mg(once or twice per day)
- Centrum Silver(1 time/day)
- Zinc 50mg(1/day)
- Super B-vitamin Complex(1/day)
- Ginkgo Biloba 120mg(1/day)
- Hyaluronic Acid(1/2X/day)
- Spermidine(1/2x/day)
- Acetyl L Carnitine(2/2x/day)
- Alpha Lipoic Acid(1/2x/day)
- Ashwagandha(1/2x/day) #Will be stopping
- Bacopa Monnieri 350mg(1/2x/day)
- Vit C 500mg(1/2x/day)
- Vit D3 50mg(2/2x/day)
- Vit K-2, MK-7 100mcg(1/2x/day)
- Fisetin (2/2x/day)
- N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC)(1/2x/day)
- Nattokinase Supplement(2/2x/day)
- Nicotinamide Riboside (NR)(2/2x/day)
- Qunol Tumeric 1000mg(1/2x/day)
- Ubiquinol CoQ10 100mg(1/2x/day)
- Berberine 500mg(1/3x/day)
- Green Tea Extract, EGCG(2/2x/day)
- Nature Made Cholest-Off Plus(2/3x/day)
- Metamucil Psyllium Husk (5/3x/day)
- Omega-3s 1065mg(2/2x/day)
- Odorless Garlic 3600mg(2/2x/day)
- Resveratrol 800mg, Quercetin 250mg, MCT 850mg (1/2x/day)

When I get hungry, I usually drink a glass of water, a cup of tea or a V8 Original 100% Vegetable Juice.
Last edited by Naperville on Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:31 pm, edited 10 times in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
RustyIron

Re: Striving For a Healthy Long Life

Post by RustyIron »

Hey, Naperville.
I wish you the best on your quest for wellness and a long life. I'm no expert on what's best, even for myself. But when people seek my opinion, my typical mantra is, "You can't exercise your way out of a bad diet." I think we can extend that to include, "You can't supplement your way out of a bad diet."

That concludes my rational response. Now begins my rant. If you eat ANY fast food, CANCEL it from your diet immediately. McDonalds, Taco Bell, Dunkin' Donuts, KFC, Pizza Hut all kill more Americans every year that Bin Laden and his buddies could ever hope for. I hold them in the same regard as tobacco companies and fentanyl dealers. If ISIS was smart, they'd just build fast food franchises and murder Americans through coronary disease.

If you're interested, I'll share with you a book that was written by a friend of mine, intended to help regular folks like you and me. Each chapter is useful by itself, and only a couple pages long, making it super easy to read.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2e2xdwdwtql9 ... s.pdf?dl=0
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'm in it for the long run too Naperville. I hope to be as in shape cognitive wise as physical.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Good advice and well spoken Rustyiron.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
James Y

Post by James Y »

My goal is to simply be as happy and physically/mentally capable as I can possibly be, for as long as I'm going to be here. There's a good chance I'll live into my 90s, if my mom was any indication.

I'm turning 60 in May. For me, 100 years old is too long.

TBH, I'm not a health food nut, and at the moment I'm not taking any dietary supplements. I do not eat fast food. I prepare all my own meals. I do eat lots of vegetables (raw and cooked), fruits, gluten-free grains, etc. I still eat some meat (poultry, and some occasional seafood). I completely cut out red meat and pork back in 1995. I had to cut out gluten, due to a gluten sensitivity that started back in 2011.

I do still exercise and train, but not to the degree I used to train. I used to train obsessively, from childhood and into my 40s. Things change, like bodies, priorities, and level of motivation. I would also say need. I no longer need to train as hard or as much as I once did.

Mindset is a BIG factor in a healthy life that many people ignore or never consider. I've known people who were obsessive about exercise and diet/nutrition, but who still developed health issues; while I knew a few others who seemed not to care too much and did whatever they wanted, and remained mostly healthy, and passed away peacefully at an old age.

Having a variety of interests is important. I always keep myself mentally engaged in many different types of subjects that interest me.

A positive attitude in life goes a long way. The mind, the emotions, and the body are all connected. Like everyone else, I definitely have things in life I have stress around, but I do my best to mitigate and eliminate the prolonged effects of things like stress, anxiety, bitterness, etc., which, if allowed to fester, can eventually manifest into health issues.

It also helps to have a thick skin. Many people in the current climate are easily triggered by every little thing, and are actively seeking to be offended. That creates emotional stress in themselves, which they hold on to like a badge of honor. Prolonged anger and bitterness is not a recipe for good health in the long run.

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Eh, once my body fails and I can't fend for myself I'm all set. I've seen nursing homes and let me tell ya, that is a fate worse than death. Once life isn't enjoyable anymore, I'm ok with moving on. It's just the nature cycle of things.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:15 am
Eh, once my body fails and I can't fend for myself I'm all set. I've seen nursing homes and let me tell ya, that is a fate worse than death. Once life isn't enjoyable anymore, I'm ok with moving on. It's just the nature cycle of things.

I agree 100%. When I was young and working various jobs here, saving up before I spent several years overseas, one of my jobs was janitorial work in a nursing home, 5 am to 1:30 pm. The facilities were kept nice, but I hated working there. The environment absolutely sucked.

I'm good with however many years I have left, as long as I'm physically able, and mentally healthy and sharp.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:38 pm
Hey, Naperville.
I wish you the best on your quest for wellness and a long life. I'm no expert on what's best, even for myself. But when people seek my opinion, my typical mantra is, "You can't exercise your way out of a bad diet." I think we can extend that to include, "You can't supplement your way out of a bad diet."

That concludes my rational response. Now begins my rant. If you eat ANY fast food, CANCEL it from your diet immediately. McDonalds, Taco Bell, Dunkin' Donuts, KFC, Pizza Hut all kill more Americans every year that Bin Laden and his buddies could ever hope for. I hold them in the same regard as tobacco companies and fentanyl dealers. If ISIS was smart, they'd just build fast food franchises and murder Americans through coronary disease.

If you're interested, I'll share with you a book that was written by a friend of mine, intended to help regular folks like you and me. Each chapter is useful by itself, and only a couple pages long, making it super easy to read.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2e2xdwdwtql9 ... s.pdf?dl=0
I'm doing my best Rusty!!!! I'll take a look at the book! Thank you.

I usually go to Dunkin 4+ times a week for coffee in the morning. Sometimes I get myself a doughnut, which is not a good idea for a guy like me who weighs 200+ lbs.

I stay away from most fast food. I think that I ate at McD's 1x this year so far, and maybe 2x over the last 3 years. I know that we ate at Taco Bell 2x last year, none so far this year. I really do not like anything that these fast food places offer and I really worry about food prep. I don't trust them to prepare the food properly and with clean work stations...I'm afraid we will be served rotten or adulterated food and end up poisoned. After we eat, it sits in my stomach like lead! It does not digest very fast whatever it is.

Whatever you do don't ever order McD's Chicken McNuggets, it is a pink paste that they mix up. I saw that video on YouTube and it was sickening.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:23 am
My goal is to simply be as happy and physically/mentally capable as I can possibly be, for as long as I'm going to be here. There's a good chance I'll live into my 90s, if my mom was any indication.

TBH, I'm not a health food nut, and at the moment I'm not taking any dietary supplements. I do not eat fast food. I prepare all my own meals. I do eat lots of vegetables (raw and cooked), fruits, gluten-free grains, etc. I still eat some meat (poultry, and some occasional seafood). I completely cut out red meat and pork back in 1995. I had to cut out gluten, due to a gluten sensitivity that started back in 2011.

I do still exercise and train, but not to the degree I used to train. I used to train obsessively, from childhood and into my 40s. Things change, like bodies, priorities, and level of motivation. I would also say need. I no longer need to train as hard or as much as I once did.

Mindset is a BIG factor in a healthy life that many people ignore or never consider. I've known people who were obsessive about exercise and diet/nutrition, but who still developed health issues; while I knew a few others who seemed not to care too much and did whatever they wanted, and remained mostly healthy, and passed away peacefully at an old age.

Having a variety of interests is important. I always keep myself mentally engaged in many different types of subjects that interest me.

A positive attitude in life goes a long way. The mind, the emotions, and the body are all connected. Like everyone else, I definitely have things in life I have stress around, but I do my best to mitigate and eliminate the prolonged effects of things like stress, anxiety, bitterness, etc., which, if allowed to fester, can eventually manifest into health issues.

It also helps to have a thick skin. Many people in the current climate are easily triggered by every little thing, and are actively seeking to be offended. That creates emotional stress in themselves, which they hold on to like a badge of honor. Prolonged anger and bitterness is not a recipe for good health in the long run.

Jim
I agree with everything that you said James except for one thing, my grandmother lived to be 102 and she was almost perfect mentally and physically for the first 95 to 97 years of her life. She did not take prescribed pills for the 102 years of her life that I know of. She refused to go to the doctors office. I remember her sitting in her recliner for days on end cough....she just rode out illnesses that came along. Maybe that is the secret to living long! She did have some mobility issues for the last 3 years, and she moved in with my mom for the last 3 years of her life.

If I could pull off what my grandmother did I'd be willing to live to 100 if I had family that could help me for the last 2 or 3 years. But I don't want to be in that position. It is no good to be helpless and dependent on folks for your life.

Old folks homes are bad news. People should take care of their family members. People are not disposable.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Evil D wrote:
I'll be 63 this year, and my mother will be 83. She has her moments. But I'll be damned if I let her go into a home. I know how the system works....just a bit, and I'll have nurses come here once every week or two to help me manage her.

I'm really worried about dementia and Alzheimer's disease. Not sure what the heck I'd do if that was the case. I suppose we will deal with it the best that we can when/if it happens.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

bearrowland wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:12 am
I'm in it for the long run too Naperville. I hope to be as in shape cognitive wise as physical.
I'll be 63 in 2 weeks. I just started looking at this and thinking I had better do more or suffer the consequences.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:24 pm
James Y wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:23 am

Jim
I agree with everything that you said James except for one thing, my grandmother lived to be 102 and she was almost perfect mentally and physically for the first 95 to 97 years of her life. She did not take prescribed pills for the 102 years of her life that I know of. She refused to go to the doctors office. I remember her sitting in her recliner for days on end cough....she just rode out illnesses that came along. Maybe that is the secret to living long! She did have some mobility issues for the last 3 years, and she moved in with my mom for the last 3 years of her life.

If I could pull off what my grandmother did I'd be willing to live to 100 if I had family that could help me for the last 2 or 3 years. But I don't want to be in that position. It is no good to be helpless and dependent on folks for your life.

Old folks homes are bad news. People should take care of their family members. People are not disposable.

I hope you reach your goal of living to a healthy 100!

Nobody in my family line has ever reached 100. My mom lived to 93, but my dad passed away at 78.

I helped my mom care for my dad, and years later I cared for my mom for 9 years, her last year as her full-time caregiver. That last year I couldn't even go out for my walks, in case something happened when I left. I left only one day a week for 90 minutes to go grocery shopping. Or to pick up her meds. Or to take my mom to her doctor's appointments.

When the social worker sent by my mom's long-term care insurance visited to check to see if the layout of the house and her standard of care were up to code, we easily passed the inspection, but she seemed more concerned about my welfare than my mom's. She could see I was tired and a bit stressed out. It's really important to care for yourself when you're the sole caregiver. That last year, 2019, was very stressful, but in spite of me not being a trained caregiver, the people who checked in were impressed at the level of care I was providing my mom.

It was worth it. I'm proud of the care I gave her, and I have no regrets; I knew there was NO WAY I would allow my mom to be put into a nursing home. That said, I've paid my dues in this lifetime, as far as caregiving for others is concerned.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

56 in a week here and I agree 💯. It doesn't get easier so now's the time to get it done.
Naperville wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:29 pm
bearrowland wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:12 am
I'll be 63 in 2 weeks. I just started looking at this and thinking I had better do more or suffer the consequences.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:
I hear ya buddy.....your right.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Taking resveratrol, garlic and omega-3, three times per day now.

Looking forward to getting my delivery before the 21st of the following:
- Nicotinamide Riboside (NR): NR is a serious supplement. NMN (which is like NR and from the same company) is really supposed to work, and the FDA is thinking of making folks get prescriptions in order to take it! It could be one of the first supplements pulled off the market that slows aging.

- N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC): Looking forward to the potential cognitive benefits.

- Nattokinase: I'll quit taking the 81mg of aspirin once I start this. It thins the blood out. Might take it with ginger too. It also helps to strip the body of the presence of MRNA from the shot that clogs veins.

- Psyllium Husk: Helps lower LDL cholesterol ...glad that I found this in METAMUCIL PILLS. I'll pop 6 of these a day and never miss getting a daily allowance for fiber. This should give me a fantastic cholesterol and A1C. Trying to get off of the diabetes label the Dr gave me.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Mindset, genetics, and luck. My dad is a 102 year old WWII combat veteran, who spent 30 years as a police officer. He's never watched his diet, until now that he doesn't have a choice (he lives with my brother and his wife), never exercised beyond playing golf a couple times a week, and has never heard of all those supplements, let alone taken them.

For any of you over 40 who are concerned with quality of life rather than simply the length therefore, I strongly recommend getting a copy of The Barbell Prescription by Dr. John M. Sullivan MD, PhD and Andy Baker.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

dsvirsky wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:12 pm
Mindset, genetics, and luck. My dad is a 102 year old WWII combat veteran, who spent 30 years as a police officer. He's never watched his diet, until now that he doesn't have a choice (he lives with my brother and his wife), never exercised beyond playing golf a couple times a week, and has never heard of all those supplements, let alone taken them.

For any of you over 40 who are concerned with quality of life rather than simply the length therefore, I strongly recommend getting a copy of The Barbell Prescription by Dr. John M. Sullivan MD, PhD and Andy Baker.
"Mindset, genetics, and luck." I agree with that but I do not live in the same environment that my now deceased 102 yr old grandmother lived in. Like I said above, I do not recall my grandmother taking any medicine/pills. She was born in 1905 in Chicago and I'm guessing that the level of pollution was nothing like it was in 1960 when I was born in Chicago. The quality of food, air that we breathed and water that we drank were all very different.

I'm just trying to use food, walking and supplements where science has found some things might work.

It's a fun experiment. Not sure that I can afford to follow through with it. This is not cheap at all. I've already spent more than $600US and that is a ton of money to someone like me at the moment.

It is now 04/2023, it is no longer 1905. For me, I'll follow the science to add a few years to the quality of my life if it is possible.

I ORDERED THE FOLLOWING TODAY:
- Fisetin: Fisetin is a natural flavonoid with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It has shown potential in promoting brain health and combating age-related cognitive decline.

Mayo Clinic Fisetin protocol: The newest Mayo protocol on fisetin is for 3 consecutive days on fisetin, followed by a month rest. Repeat this cycle for 5 months total.

https://www.salk.edu/news-release/evide ... cts-aging/

https://academic.oup.com/biomedgerontol ... ogin=false
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I really think the quality of our food plays a part in it. The preservatives and other garbage had to factor into our long term health somehow.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Longevity Summit Dublin

Professor of Genetics at Harvard Med
David Sinclair's work has had a significant impact on the field of longevity and has garnered widespread recognition.

Buy your ticket now https://bit.ly/3GN0a9d

https://twitter.com/LongevityDublin/sta ... 6186529792
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

bearrowland wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:17 am
I really think the quality of our food plays a part in it. The preservatives and other garbage had to factor into our long term health somehow.
That's for sure. For half of my life I exercised with weights, played ice hockey, did martial arts, worked in construction, bicycle raced, and those things kept me in pretty good shape, plus I ate right. The other half of my life I did not do so well and I am trying to make up for it.