Will Endura 4 be back in G10 one day?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stas

Will Endura 4 be back in G10 one day?

Post by Stas »

Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 is in the mail, but l don’t think it will make Endura obsolete. Still hope for G10 version of this classic. Even just VG10 and modest price too :D

I got in to knives a bit too late and G10 ‘made in Japan’ models with full liners (Endura, Police, Stretch) are gone and impossible for me to find second hand.

Endura has become my favourite platform and the steel choices are awesome. I don’t dislike FRN – have quite a few and use them, including trainer. But if FRN knives were shoes, they'd be crocs :) Wold love to own a bit more refined Endura option. Anyone feel the same?
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
cjk

Re: Will Endura 4 be back in G10 one day?

Post by cjk »

At one time, I was in the same boat. These can be found on the secondary market, but you'll have to look for awhile.
I set up saved ebay searches and acquired a couple of these over maybe 6 months or a year. One light user at about $135 and one lnib around $150, both with boxes.

That being said, aftermarket scales and titanium backspacers are both things that exist. The result is not as nice as a factory one, but still can be quite nice.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Never say never, but it is unlikely they will return in G10. It seems that combination is expensive from Japan and I don't think the market will support a $200+ Endura. But, who knows, maybe with the right steel & color of G10 it might sell out as a premium. K390 & medium blue G10?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
cjk

Post by cjk »

the knifecenter Spyderco pakkawood exclusives are just as nice as the factory G-10 ones, but no G-10.
There's a Police offered too. Most of them have HAP40 steel.

Edit: I should point out that these are currently in stock.
cjk

Post by cjk »

If you want a fancy factory Endura, there are a couple options which can be found in stock right now.

black pakkawood, full liner, metal backspacer, VG-10 Damascus --> at knifecenter only
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C10WDBK/2362

titanium scales, no liners, metal backspacer, VG-10 Damascus --> you'll have to look hard, but you can find these in stock here and there.
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C10TID/920
Stas

Post by Stas »

cjk wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:27 am
At one time, I was in the same boat. These can be found on the secondary market, but you'll have to look for awhile.
I set up saved ebay searches and acquired a couple of these over maybe 6 months or a year. One light user at about $135 and one lnib around $150, both with boxes.

That being said, aftermarket scales and titanium backspacers are both things that exist. The result is not as nice as a factory one, but still can be quite nice.
I have eBay search set for a few months and so far there was just one G10 foliage green Endura for 250 usd from US (I'm in Europe). I was considering to get it but it is gone now. Still think she deserve it's palce in the current portfolio.

I agree, aftermarket and custom scales are the options, but not as nice as factory full steel liners and backspacer.
There is one craftsmen in my country who make micarta scales for Native Chief and recently did micarta Endura without liners... Will try it one of mine Enduras or Pacific Salt.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't think you'd save much money having Spyderco make them in G10 vs buying scales from a scale maker and paying that cost plus the cost of a FRN model, and in the end you can choose whatever color and style of G10 you can dream of.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cjk

Post by cjk »

Interesting quote from Sal in 2013 regarding G-10 models from Japan. I added the highlighting.

Source thread: viewtopic.php?t=60932
sal wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:42 am
Hi Free2game,

Welcome to our forum.

Internal stop pins can offer some advantages in some situations. We don't use them on the Native 5 which hasn't shown any play. the Native lt.wt. will use the same lock geometry as the 5.

Japan doesn't do much with G-10 production. Most of our Seki made G-10 models are using USA made G-10. Usually machined in the US and shipped to Seki.

We've been working with our Japanese makers for more than 30 years. There would have to be a really good reason to move production, especially for our Endura and Delica models. Japanese prices have been going up steadily against the doollar for a number of years. I don't anticipate much change in the future. There is also the possibility of the dollar weakening against the Yen.

As far as steel goes, we have no experience with Acutco so I have no opoinions there. (If anyone here knows anything about Acutco, please share). Nor can I speak for Kershaw or their business model. They are a much larger company than Spyderco and usually have other issues (like supplying Big Boxes) than we do.

sal
cjk

Post by cjk »

Stas wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:52 am
I have eBay search set for a few months and so far there was just one G10 foliage green Endura for 250 usd from US (I'm in Europe). I was considering to get it but it is gone now. Still think she deserve it's palce in the current portfolio.

I agree, aftermarket and custom scales are the options, but not as nice as factory full steel liners and backspacer.
There is one craftsmen in my country who make micarta scales for Native Chief and recently did micarta Endura without liners... Will try it one of mine Enduras or Pacific Salt.
knifecenter does ship internationally.

It'd be great if everybody could update their approximate locations in their forum profile. I mean this as an "in general" comment, not directed at you personally. In a lot of cases, it makes the conversations more relevant.
Mirek.r

Post by Mirek.r »

look here

https://www.knife.cz/Default.aspx?tabid ... 4469&p=108

made by a person from the Czech Republic
There is also Endura in g10, and the last conversion is really without attachments. I recommend going through the whole thread ;-)
Stas

Post by Stas »

Thank for the replies guys!

I see I need to clarify a bit :) I was thinking it is obvious, but the big part of the appeal of Japan made backlock models with G10 for me is the construction they use (full liners and metal backspacer). IMHO It can not be achieved by just replacing FRN material with G10 material, but it is still a nice option, I agree :)

I know the aftermarkert options and have some work from Cuscadi and mr. Mydlinka himself. I wouldn't start this thread otherwise :) I'm aware of pakkawood model and have titanium version. Not a huge fan of damascus, a blade and lock swap is still an option though.

Just appreciate the classiness of a full liner backlock with G10, like Endura Foliage green, ZDP Stretch 2 brown G10 or Police K390 from the past. If they all should cost like Cru-wear Stretch 2 XL now, this is another story. I understand that not many people willing to pay such money for not so hot (actually 30 year old) design. If Endura remains FRN only, I'm fine with it. At the end it started its life with Zytel handle and has this LW vibe in the DNA)
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Stas wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:00 am
I got in to knives a bit too late and G10 ‘made in Japan’ models with full liners (Endura, Police, Stretch) are gone and impossible for me to find.
Hey Stas,
Botach has 8 of the brown G10 Stretch in stock if you're looking.
https://botach.com/spyderco-stretch-2-g ... ves-brown/
- Richard
cjk

Post by cjk »

Stas wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:42 pm
Just appreciate the classiness of a full liner backlock with G10, like Endura Foliage green, ZDP Stretch 2 brown G10 or Police K390 from the past. If they all should cost like Cru-wear Stretch 2 XL now, this is another story. I understand that not many people willing to pay such money for not so hot (actually 30 year old) design. If Endura remains FRN only, I'm fine with it. At the end it started its life with Zytel handle and has this LW vibe in the DNA)
At least in the US, these things do show up in secondary markets (facebook groups, ebay, etc...) periodically. Not super often, but it does happen. Just keep an eye out frequently and you will eventually succeed. The only one of these which I have missed out on in the past couple years is the foliage green G-10 Delica either because a seller wanted too much or I was too slow.
Stas

Post by Stas »

riclaw wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:57 pm
Stas wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:00 am
I got in to knives a bit too late and G10 ‘made in Japan’ models with full liners (Endura, Police, Stretch) are gone and impossible for me to find.
Hey Stas,
Botach has 8 of the brown G10 Stretch in stock if you're looking.
https://botach.com/spyderco-stretch-2-g ... ves-brown/
Hey Richard, thank you very much! Will see if they can ship to my part of the world.
cjk

Post by cjk »

The full liner + metal backspacer + G-10 scales + lockback construction is also my favorite.

I would recommend picking up the HAP40 pakkawood Endela if you did not already. I really quite like that one. I'd rather it were G-10, but it's pretty great on its own.
Stas

Post by Stas »

cjk wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:36 pm
The full liner + metal backspacer + G-10 scales + lockback construction is also my favorite.

I would recommend picking up the HAP40 pakkawood Endela if you did not already. I really quite like that one. I'd rather it were G-10, but it's pretty great on its own.
Shame to me, I don't have Endela at all. This is a nice excuse to get one :)
cjk

Post by cjk »

Stas wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:15 pm
cjk wrote:

They also have a Pakkawood HAP40 Police.

Given that the pakkawood models have full liners just like the G-10 ones, It shouldn't be terribly difficult to have aftermarket G-10 scales made for these.
Stas

Post by Stas »

cjk wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:28 pm
Stas wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:15 pm
cjk wrote:

They also have a Pakkawood HAP40 Police.

Given that the pakkawood models have full liners just like the G-10 ones, It shouldn't be terribly difficult to have aftermarket G-10 scales made for these.
You're right sir!
Stas

Post by Stas »

Also, just a small observation. The last of the Seki "premium" configuration knives – Dragonfly with same VG-10 blade steel and a G-10 foliage green handle is still officially available for quite a reasonable price.

My logic could be wrong, but if it is all about cost of the labor and import / export costs, not the material itself, then G10 Endura shouldn't be another Stretch 2 XL pricewise. To produce a small knife it takes roughly the same operations as for the bigger model. And VG-10 / G10 is not a platinum :)
cjk

Post by cjk »

The current street price of the G-10 dragonfly (just over $128) is 55 USD more than the FRN one. The G-10 one is $42.70 more than a stainless steel handled Dragonfly.

I'd expect that a Dragonfly takes about half the materials to make as an Endura.

I think a more valid (or at least more similar) comparison is comparing the MSRP and then expected MAP of the pakkawood models (specifically the Endela as it's the newest) to the MSRP of the G-10 Stretch 2 XL.

MSRP taken from the Spyderco web site, then multiplied by .7 to get MAP:
Endela MSRP/MAP: 310.00 / 217.00
Stretch 2 XL MSRP/MAP: 406.50 / 284.55

The difference in expected street price (MAP) between a pakkawood Endela and a Stretch 2 XL is $67.55
As far as I can tell, pakkawood is a Japanese domestic product. So is the HAP40 steel.
The difference in price is predominantly the US G-10 and and US made steel.

I'd be surprised if a new G-10 Endura has a street price under $200. Don't get me wrong, if it did, I think that'd be great, but I just wouldn't bet on it. :smlling-eyes