Thumb ramp or naw?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Thumb ramp or naw?

Thumb ramp
65%
Naw
35%

Total votes: 62

TheGiant80

Thumb ramp or naw?

Post by TheGiant80 »

Spyderco fans have their preferences. A real straight forward question that everyone’s got an opinion on; do you dig thumb ramps or not?
Wartstein

Re: Thumb ramp or naw?

Post by Wartstein »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:04 am
Spyderco fans have their preferences. A real straight forward question that everyone’s got an opinion on; do you dig thumb ramps or not?

Well.. no, not really
For me the option "don´t really care" is missing in your poll ;)

Some thoughts though:

- I rarely use thumb ramps as such, but rather put my thumb on the side/flat of the blade, not the ramp - here the "ramp" can be advantageous, cause it makes for more surface on the flat to put the thumb on

- IF Is used thumb ramps as such: I think I´d prefer them to be not steep and rather subtle, perhaps even just a flat spine (so no ramp). As a matter of fact I put my thumb more often on the spine of folders that don´t have a ramp.

- I don´t mind at all that the ramp makes the knife wider in pocket. Width in pocket has never been a concern of mine, rather length and shape of the handle end (the Manix 2 LW is a great carry for me for example)

- I like that the ramp normally makes for an easier one handed opening (hole better accessible, better "arc of motion" for the thumb)

- I could also imagine that the taller blade the ramp creates could make for a bit better cutting geometry.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Strongly prefer naw. I like it on some models but I often feel cramped when using them, and I find that I end up placing my thumb above them anyway. I think carrying a Yojimbo 2 for so long broke my love of thumb ramps.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

Not a Walmart shopper…. But I agree with Walmart, for this one. Shrink the hump…. Never happen though.
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

For me it depends on the knife. It certainly is not a binary decision. As a culture, we really need to stop making everything an either/or proposition.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I dig them. But I certainly don’t hate the design of other knives that don’t have them and call them a naw. But generally I find all my favorite spyderco designs do have a ramped thumb rest. I generally find on a pocket knife, a curve that contours up on my thumb gives a nice solid pitch style of grip which feels like I have precise control over the blade.
Last edited by Tristan_david2001 on Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-red-white
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:05 am
For me it depends on the knife. It certainly is not a binary decision. As a culture, we really need to stop making everything an either/or proposition.

I couldnt agree more. Its like a form of dichotomous thinking that causes people to treat everything like a competition.

I’m indifferent towards thumb ramps. I like them on knives them have them and I like knives that dont have them.
-Nick :bug-red
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

JRinFL wrote:
Just a dumb poll I posted last night when I couldn’t sleep. Don’t think too deeply on it.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

JRinFL wrote:
Hard agree. Without context, thumb ramp or not is an incomplete query.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I guess I don't mind a thumb ramp, but my favorite models tend to have a subtle or no ramp at all (Manix, Shaman, Native Chief) Though the UKPK is also up there on my list and has a pretty defined ramp. Probably depends on the day!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

While I understand what some are saying I think we can read between the lines and understand this thread was just meant to harmlessly start a discussion on whether some prefer they’re knives with a ramp or not and why, if you have no preference then that’s just fine also.
:bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:41 am
While I understand what some are saying I think we can read between the lines and understand this thread was just meant to harmlessly start a discussion on whether some prefer they’re knives with a ramp or not and why, if you have no preference then that’s just fine also.

Yeah, kinda odd that this is being taken so concrete and literal and being seen in any way as a bad thing. If having a hard preference for something is bad then I think we're all guilty for preferring thumb holes and pocket clips and steel varieties and the list goes on. Some people absolutely won't buy non stainless steels, some refuse to buy coated blades, I thought this was the root purpose of a discussion forum.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

It's an interesting question because it made me think a little more about my preferences. That said, like others I don't really have a hard yes or no, so I was unable to vote.

First, the lack of a thumb ramp never bothers me. I would never decide not to buy a knife because there was no thumb ramp. On the other hand, I usually like a shallow ramp a little better. The best example is the Manix 2, which is well-nigh perfect for me.

An abrupt ramp is gradually becoming a hard no for me. It hasn't stopped me from buying several Mule Teams, but that ramp is borderline annoying, and I'm constantly on the verge of freehand modding one to see if I can improve it. I will eventually sell my Saver Salt because of the ramp. I recently returned an Atlantic Salt because I couldn't stand the ramp.

A steep ramp in the context of a reasonably friendly handle, a la the Pacific Salt or PM2, is okay, but shallower would feel even better. On a cramped or strongly finger-grooved handle, a steep ramp is a non-starter. I understand the purpose of the large Spydiehole, but I like the small hole better. I'll go as far as to say I'd prefer the small hole for all of Spyderco's knives, except those specifically aimed at the rescue use case, because of how it would improve the feel of the ramp.
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

Yes I do.

But I wouldn't want every knife to have one.
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Gonna be a naw for me dawg
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:55 am
JRinFL wrote:
Just a dumb poll I posted last night when I couldn’t sleep. Don’t think too deeply on it.
Sorry, it was not meant as an attack on you. It’s just something that’s been bothering me for awhile, though I should have left the last comment off of my reply.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

It’s not something that I’ve ever considered when purchasing a knife. That being said I do think I prefer having them over not having them.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:04 am
In deed I do. But, I also like the other blades that do not sport the thumb ramp.
Case in point my Shaman, and Native 5.
Can You Dig it!!!
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I like knives both ways 🤷🏼‍♂️ I love a PM2 tanto but I also love a Yojumbo. I was recently considering BRK’s and I was surprised how polarising their thumb ramps seem to be in reviews.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

I prefer the half hump on knives like the Manix. It gives you some variation on where you put your thumb while still letting you put force into the knife with your thumb. The full hump also tends to create a but of a snag point.