Spyderco for steak

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jerome Howard

Spyderco for steak

Post by Jerome Howard »

I find myself using my PE Enduras for steak knives. Even my wife likes using them for steaks and other meats.

Anyone else find that they make great steak knives?

I use them more than my Wusthofs

Or what do you use from your collection for such purpose?
FrontierAJL

Re: Spyderco for steak

Post by FrontierAJL »

I used my Spydiechef to cut up a smoked tri-tip last night. Worked great and sliced through it with ease.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

SE Counter Puppy for me, can’t wait to get the Critter!

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

An Endura would make a fantastic steak knife. The challenge would be not ruining the edge on the plate.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I think the serrated aqua salt is in some ways the ultimate evolution of a steak knife.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Frontier,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jerome Howard wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:27 pm
I find myself using my PE Enduras for steak knives. Even my wife likes using them for steaks and other meats.

Anyone else find that they make great steak knives?

I use them more than my Wusthofs

Or what do you use from your collection for such purpose?

Endura is great for any kind of food prep (for an all purpose folder). I use mine a lot for that.

For steaks I´d like shallow serrations though even a bit better than PE - like my Endela SE or Stretch XL SE offer.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I've actually cut steak with an ARK, a Salt 1, a Pacific Salt 1 and 2, a Jumpmaster 2, and I'm sure others I'm forgetting. I enjoy it, because they are always sharper than the steak knives in our knife block. I also like to cut sushi with Spydies, as does sal.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:49 am
I've actually cut steak with an ARK, a Salt 1, a Pacific Salt 1 and 2, a Jumpmaster 2, and I'm sure others I'm forgetting. I enjoy it, because they are always sharper than the steak knives in our knife block. I also like to cut sushi with Spydies, as does sal.

I seem to recall Sal saying that one of the main reasons he carries a long bladed folder (alongside a smaller, "non scary" one) is exactly for cutting food in restaurants (that might not have the sharpest knives).

In my case this is true anyway: One of the reasons why I prefer Endura length folders for general, all purpose EDC is that they are better at cutting / prepping food. Not that I do this all the time with folders, but it still happens quite often.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yep. I've actually been using my MagnaCut Mule almost exclusively for food, at least over the winter when I'm not doing outdoors/yard work stuff.

Our Easter plans sort of went sideways yesterday so we ordered some steaks for takeout. I don't like using my knives on ceramic/glass plates but we have some cheapo plastic plates we use at home.

It's a bit like swatting flies with a sledgehammer...When a steak will literally pull apart with a fork anyway, and you've got a knife that's so much sharper than a typical steak house knife.

Of course it was only when I was about finished with the steak that I remembered that I coated this blade with Tuf-Glide. 🤦🏼‍♂️
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Oops. Is it not food safe?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:53 am

What I've seen says that it "bonds to steel" and that prevents transfer to your food, but then all their products on their website have the "causes cancer according to California" disclaimer so probably not.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:31 am
cabfrank wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:53 am

What I've seen says that it "bonds to steel" and that prevents transfer to your food, but then all their products on their website have the "causes cancer according to California" disclaimer so probably not.
A lot of companies put that warning on every product, just because it's the easiest way to deal with CA's requirement.
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

They made the Ramco Laguiole, that’s the perfect Spyderco for steak, if you can find one.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Ikuchi.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I always thought the best Spyderco for steaks would be the Darn Dao.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

How cool would it be to have a bunch of people over for dinner, and each table setting includes an Endura? I imagine that's what dinner's like at the Glesser household.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I used this guy for steaks a few years back to get that patina.

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:01 pm
An Endura would make a fantastic steak knife. The challenge would be not ruining the edge on the plate.

This is where the Pac Salt in H1 SE shines. The serrations don't get messed up on the plate and easy cleanup and no patina. I've even thrown mine in the dishwasher plenty of times with no ill effect!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:38 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:01 pm

This is where the Pac Salt in H1 SE shines. The serrations don't get messed up on the plate and easy cleanup and no patina. I've even thrown mine in the dishwasher plenty of times with no ill effect!
That's a good choice, as well. I like the Endura and its iterations and am not crazy about some of the newer designs. I mean, sure, that finger bump drives me crazy, but it is easily removed. I like the otherwise more neutral handle, the blade shape and length, pretty much everything. Long live Endura!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050