Whoever sharpened this PM2 deserves a raise

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jerome Howard

Whoever sharpened this PM2 deserves a raise

Post by Jerome Howard »

I got another PM2 in the mail today. In Maxamet. It is the sharpest Spyderco, and probably the sharpest knife I've ever owned, right out of the box. It seriously is razor sharp. Like way beyond scary sharp. Hair whittling sharp.

Good job to whoever in Golden sharpened this one. I can see a band-aid in my future.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Whoever sharpened this PM2 deserves a raise

Post by Doc Dan »

I got a 204P Delica like that. It would cut hanging toilet paper. I posted a picture somewhere on this forum.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

A have a few like that but it drives me crazy when they come with uneven cutting bevels from the factory. I am talking Golden here. I allways hoped they are going to use sharpening robots. Sorry for the derail.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:52 am
A have a few like that but it drives me crazy when they come with uneven cutting bevels from the factory. I am talking Golden here. I allways hoped they are going to use sharpening robots. Sorry for the derail.
I was under the impression, they already use robots. And I thought they use those for a few years now.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Yup. The robot does all the production sharpening at Golden, and he's pretty darned good at it.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:57 am
Yup. The robot does all the production sharpening at Golden, and he's pretty darned good at it.
No kidding ! I might show you just a few( six or seven) of my Golden spydies bought in the last 6 months to juge for yourself. Factory edge … all over the place … uneven and inconsistent cutting bevels… but who knows, maybe that robot is high on something.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Jerome Howard wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:25 pm
I got another PM2 in the mail today. In Maxamet. It is the sharpest Spyderco, and probably the sharpest knife I've ever owned, right out of the box. It seriously is razor sharp. Like way beyond scary sharp. Hair whittling sharp.

Good job to whoever in Golden sharpened this one. I can see a band-aid in my future.
My Manix 2 LW in BD1N is like that
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Lately I wasn't very pleases with what I got (but they were made in 2021 and 2019). However, when Kristi organized the Random Acts of Kindness I was lucky to get a Spy27 M2 LW. Th date of birth on the blade was in 2022. Man this was crazy, crazy sharp. Splitting hair in two, all the fun stuff.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:46 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:57 am
No kidding ! I might show you just a few( six or seven) of my Golden spydies bought in the last 6 months to juge for yourself. Factory edge … all over the place … uneven and inconsistent cutting bevels… but who knows, maybe that robot is high on something.
The evenness of the bevels is dependent on the human loading the blades into the machine. Just a thought.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Is the resharpening service done by robot also? I know the original sharpening is, but I'm unsure about this.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The robot only works on bare blades, so they'd have to take the knife apart to use it for resharpening.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

That's what I thought. So when a knife is sent in for resharpening, it must be done by hand? Interesting. I wonder if it is a belt or a Sharpmaker. It seems a Sharpmaker would take way too long.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

with any production knife, it's hit or miss. I have had really sharp blades as well as some that couldn't cut paper. not just Spyderco either, I've had fancy CRK's north of $750 show up with an edge that couldn't slice paper and bevels so uneven it was unreal (but obviously it was very real)
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
razorburn

Post by razorburn »

Hit and Miss here all recent purchases. Ladybug S30V that absolutely will cut at all and would tear paper.The next a BNIB SNK Manix 2 XL 4V which had a satisfactory sharp edge but still had buffing compound at the tip.The same knife has also a unbelieveablely loose lanyard hole tube you can literally squeeze the scales and liners together.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

They need to hire that robot in Seki ;)
The DLT Cruwear Endela I got had some of the most uneven edge grinds I've ever seen, especially at the tip.
Easy enough to fix. Three hundred or so strokes on the diamond rods should do the trick.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:46 am
I've noticed a ripple of sorts on the edges of a few new Golden Spydies. Like the robots movement wasn't very fluid.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Any idea on resharpening methods?
Subverto

Post by Subverto »

Last time I stopped by the Factory Outlet to have knives sharpened they sharpened them on a Sharpmaker right in front of me. Can't speak for how they do ones that are mailed in.
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

Superflex wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:53 am
They need to hire that robot in Seki ;)
The DLT Cruwear Endela I got had some of the most uneven edge grinds I've ever seen, especially at the tip.
Easy enough to fix. Three hundred or so strokes on the diamond rods should do the trick.
I was happy with my Cruwear Endela, even though it was dull and the angles weren’t consistent. The angles were a very nice 12-13 degrees per side for most of the blade, then it went to 14-15 degrees at the tip. Edge thickness was .018”-.019” which is great these days for a 12-13 degree angle. Last night I used an Atoma 400 to set the angle to 12 degrees along the whole edge and it went very quickly since the factory angle was already there most of the blade. I then used a Shapton 500 and used a few passes on a Shapton 16000 to finish and got a very clean and crisp edge. All else being equal I’d have loved a sharp factory edge, but I’d rather have the geometry closer to my preferred 8-10 degree angles than have a sharper edge at 17 degrees per side.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It's nice when you get to the skill level with sharpening, when you get one with a factory edge and think it's dull and put your own on it right away. That's when you know you're getting somewhere, you're winning!

I remember years ago thinking I could never sharpen better than a factory edge. Glad I bit the bullet and got into sharpening. I actually find that the most fun part of the hobby these days, and I don't even have any upper tier systems.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick