MT37P - AEB-L Mule Team Dropping Soon

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TazKristi

Re: MT37P - AEB-L Mule Team Dropping Soon

Post by TazKristi »

DaveD wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:00 pm
I am trying to purchase one and the cart keeps adding a black manix and will not let me delete it?????????????????????/
Hi, Dave:
Welcome to our forum. Have you tried clearing your browser cache or using a different browser? If you've done those things, and it persists, please email techsupport@spyderco.com and explain the issue. Our webmaster can take a look.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

weeping minora wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:48 am
Ramonade wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:15 pm
adub wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:11 pm
Tried to buy two of these and got rejected by the fraud detector despite having purchased mules from the spyderco store in the past. no response from customer service for a couple of days, surprising to see this kind of experience coming from Spyderco.
Happened to me on the last drop, I had to make a new account just to order. Too bad, I liked to have all my orders come from only one account.
There may be a discrepancy amongst the device you're trying to order through and Spyderco's fraud detection server. I was also hit with the "non-verifiable information or potential fraudulence" message when trying to order through my laptop and instead was able to place the order, without a single hiccup, whilst logged in and proceeding via my phone. Same account. It's honestly an unusual hassle, but a potential compromise to obtain your two mules. Quick, easy, painless and they won't even charge extra to boot :winking-tongue. Thanks again to JR and CLOK for this bit of info, because I thought I too was SOoL on this one.
Hey, everyone:
There are a lot of different factors that can cause this; usually, it's an issue with an IP address. Please reach out to our outlet store at sfo@spyderco.com and explain what you're experiencing (a screenshot is most helpful if you can include one). They can clear your account and resolve the issue fairly quickly.

Kristi
adub

Post by adub »

Oh looks like I did get a response in my spam folder, but not one that indicates any concern nor provides any useful information about what the issue might be. I haven't had any fraud on my account ever, I've purchased a mule from Spyderco before with this account, and my billing information works just fine everywhere else. There's something wrong on your system. If Spyderco doesn't want my business that's fine, plenty of other ways to spend my money.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

adub wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:31 am
Oh looks like I did get a response in my spam folder, but not one that indicates any concern nor provides any useful information about what the issue might be. I haven't had any fraud on my account ever, I've purchased a mule from Spyderco before with this account, and my billing information works just fine everywhere else. There's something wrong on your system. If Spyderco doesn't want my business that's fine, plenty of other ways to spend my money.
Hi, adub:
I'm sorry for your frustration. I was able to do a little digging. It actually wasn't our anti-fraud platform that stopped your order. It appears that your credit card was declined due to what was probably a typo. Your best course of action is to reach out to your financial institution, as they will have full details about why it was declined - only they or you can fix the error. We can't force a transaction if your financial institution declines it.

As for the email from SFO, I have a copy of that, too. I also have the email sent this morning, cc'ing Sal and Eric. I'm sorry you feel we don't want your business. However, some things are beyond our control, and a card that declines is one of those things, unfortunately.

We're always happy to resolve issues when they come up. And we'll do our best to continue to resolve any issue that is within our control.

Thanks much.

Kristi
adub

Post by adub »

Thanks for taking time to look into it at least, my billing information is correct and other ecomm vendors are taking my orders. Take care.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Might be a weird interaction between your CC and the website. The process used to go through with the transaction is different from website to website so it might just be something as "simple" as that
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Who is first to receive the AEB-L in the mail?
What's your opinion?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
jnelson28504

Post by jnelson28504 »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:05 pm
Who is first to receive the AEB-L in the mail?
What's your opinion?
First time posting after reading the forum for years. I did get mine today. Excellent finish overall and indeed it is made in Italy. Unfortunately, not very sharp, but the edge grind angles appear to be uniform. I plan to get this one reground for maximum performance.
bob-atlatl

Post by bob-atlatl »

Overall ok for a mule, but a couple nits.
The flat grind was much deeper than previous mules (SPY27, M398s)
and edge grind made for more belly shape as well.
Factory edge seems rougher than M398s, like maybe only a 600 grit.
Surprised to measure 12° per side edges. Will keep that, but polish smooth.
A few pics below:
... rule #9 ...
aprivetera

Post by aprivetera »

Definitely on par with all the other mules received from Spyderco. Very nice fine grain structure by visible. Performed spectacular on the taco prep test.

Very curious to test it with the more acute edge. Want to keep it at the factory edge for now to compare with the other mules. Also maybe a corrosion test vs M398 to see which might be a better knife to stash long term in a backpack.

Now for some good old uneducated speculation. Seems to have less of a "bite" compared to M398. Surprised it seems to prefer a push cut rather than a slice. Not sure how to describe it other than that but interested to hear how others find it.

Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

bob-atlatl wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:54 pm
A few pics below:

Is it ground thinner overall or is the FFG at another angle, in comparison to the M398 and SPY27?
bob-atlatl

Post by bob-atlatl »

Senfkarte: the blade spine thickness just above the spydie holes are nearly identical.
The blade height at the sharpened edge near the plunge line is 1.313"(M398) vs 1.203"(AEB-L).
So the overall flat grind has slightly more angle, deeper cut, than the M398.
Shows up as a mismatch in the pic below:
... rule #9 ...
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Let's see some hand sharpened edges.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

Has anyone measured the thickness behind the edge and/or measured the edge angle with a ganiometer? I’d be very pleased with 12 degrees per side from the factory. Mine may get delivered tonight so hopefully I get a chance to measure mine and start putting it to use.
bob-atlatl

Post by bob-atlatl »

my goniometer had 12° AEB-L, 15° M398, 17° SPY27, per side, ymmv
Last edited by bob-atlatl on Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... rule #9 ...
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

bob-atlatl wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:54 pm
A few pics below:
Maybe it looks worse in the close up pic than it is but that’s not good at all. The life of your knife has been shortened right off the bat. I’m sure Spyderco would do something about it for you. My experience with Spyderco’s Maniago made small slipjoint folders has been fine, but I haven’t been impressed with Italian knives in general. I was honestly very surprised to see they hit 62-63 on the HT. I’m excited about this one but that grinding work is a bummer.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Has anyone sharpened theirs yet?
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:18 pm
Has anyone sharpened theirs yet?
Assuming mine was delivered tonight I’ll try to get mine sharpened up tomorrow if I have time. If it is already at 12 DPS then I’ll probably take it to 10 DPS on my first sharpening. AEB-L at 62-63 RC, as you well know, can handle that with ease for all but the roughest cutting tasks.
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

bob-atlatl wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:50 pm
Senfkarte: the blade spine thickness just above the spydie holes are nearly identical.
The blade height at the sharpened edge near the plunge line is 1.313"(M398) vs 1.203"(AEB-L).
So the overall flat grind has slightly more angle, deeper cut, than the M398.
Shows up as a mismatch in the pic below:
Thanks for the answer.

Yes, I noticed the mismatch in the pictures you posted already.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

bob-atlatl wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:50 pm

That certainly doesn't look right. Looks like a knife that has had many years of sharpenings. Is unlike the catalog photo:
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 9.14.12 AM.png
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189