Android or IPhone?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Android or IPhone?

Post by MacLaren »

The wife & I just got a couple new phones
I got the Samsung 23 Ultra & she got the IPhone 14 Pro
Anyone have experience with either?
I'm hoping it will be a decent upgrade coming from a Samsung Note 10 + & an Apple 11 Pro Max
Thanks in advance!
abbazaba

Re: Android or IPhone?

Post by abbazaba »

I just upgraded from the S10 to the S23 and it's very nice. The S10 still holds it's own and has SD, 3.5mm, and much lighter weight, but the S23 is noticeably better in almost every way. Only problem so far is losing service until I turn on and off Airplane mode... Seems to happen when it's trying to use 5g but probably just out of range.

Personally, I think the Samsung UI has come a long way and I like all the customizations they've baked in that the Pixel and iPhone don't always have. The S10 was also the only phone I ever had that never needed a factory reset, and I had it for 4 years.

Not sure why Samsung is giving away the S23 on every carrier (I know people that got an $800 trade in for their S7!). I assume it has something to do with iPhone grabbing most of the market lately. I saw some stat a while back that 90% of phone users under age 20 were iPhone users vs Android.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

abbazaba wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:00 am
I just upgraded from the S10 to the S23 and it's very nice. The S10 still holds it's own and has SD, 3.5mm, and much lighter weight, but the S23 is noticeably better in almost every way. Only problem so far is losing service until I turn on and off Airplane mode... Seems to happen when it's trying to use 5g but probably just out of range.

Personally, I think the Samsung UI has come a long way and I like all the customizations they've baked in that the Pixel and iPhone don't always have. The S10 was also the only phone I ever had that never needed a factory reset, and I had it for 4 years.

Not sure why Samsung is giving away the S23 on every carrier. I assume it has something to do with iPhone grabbing most of the market lately. I saw some stat a while back that 90% of phone users under age 20 were iPhone users vs Android.
AWESOME! 👏 👏 👏
That's what I was hoping to hear
I'm also hoping the camera is what its cracked up to be. My daughter is playing fast pitch softball and I really wanna a good camera on my phone - not to say the Note 10+ was bad, just the opposite! I love the camera on my phone but, this S23 Ultra seems REALLY nice....
Btw, I got $652 on trade in for my Note 10+ & the wife got back $245 for her Iphone 11 Pro Max
cjk

Post by cjk »

iPhone, reluctantly.

I had Android phones for years. Then I got hearing aids due to hereditary hearing loss. The control software for them was developed for iPhone first, so I ended up with iPhones.

They're both "fine" I guess.

Siri is honestly hot garbage compared to the Google assistant.
The iPhone's notification system doesn't seem to work very well.

Long term support of iPhones is longer than typical Android vendors. Update support is usually around 6 years vs 3 years (if that) for Android stuff.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Android. I use an iPhone 12 for work and I hate it so much I would go back to landlines before it was my only phone.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

cjk wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:29 am
iPhone, reluctantly.

I had Android phones for years. Then I got hearing aids due to hereditary hearing loss. The control software for them was developed for iPhone first, so I ended up with iPhones.

They're both "fine" I guess.

Siri is honestly hot garbage compared to the Google assistant.
The iPhone's notification system doesn't seem to work very well.

Long term support of iPhones is longer than typical Android vendors. Update support is usually around 6 years vs 3 years (if that) for Android stuff.
Good stuff! Thank you, cjk 😃
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:29 pm
Android. I use an iPhone 12 for work and I hate it so much I would go back to landlines before it was my only phone.
Lol, I hear ya buddy..I just can't make that jump to an IPhone- & now I never will. 😂
But, the wife and daughter like thier Iphones & that's fine.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

IPHONE for me.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I loose a phone a year or two fishing or what not….so it’s $300 phones max for me.

Use the latest IPhone for work and use it for work only. (Gov job)

Oddly I got a 9 year birthday with my phone carrier only today :party

Don’t know why I have a phone with these stats :winking-tongue
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:18 am
IPHONE for me.
I hear ya man. The wife & daughter wouldn't even consider going to Android. But, they started with Iphone - as I started with Android. I think that's the big hold up with me not going to IPhone.
Heck, they're both great phones
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

I started with Windows Phone (Lumia anyone? :D), switched to iPhone (I think 6?) then went Android and never looked back. There were plenty of things You just couldn't change/setup/do on the iPhone that irked me (why can't I put my icons at the bottom of the screen?...) while I had none such issues since the switch to Android.

Plus almost always being behind with the cool gadgety stuff like extra cameras, fast refresh screens and so on.

However I must note, that the last couple iPhone Pros have mostly caught up on that last front, just the notch/"dynamic island" anachronity stayed. And other than that they are great phones, great battery life, fast and competent cameras, easy and smooth UI and loooong software support.

But even with that in mind I'm not even considering switching from my S21 Ultra. Samsung stepped up their update policy (is it 4 big updates + 1 year of security already?), the camera is great and versatile, the battery life is starting to lag a bit, but the 5000mAh cell still carries me through most days, but the most heavy-use ones. And that screen is just <chef's kiss>. Plus it's still capable enough for every game or app I might want to use, so happy there
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I had the iPhones up to and including the 5S but got tired of Apples walled garden and the constant hassle of jailbreaking.
At that time, Android UI looked like it was drawn by a daft child IMO, but then iPhone changed to simpleton icons/looks as well so i decided to jump ship. Haven't looked back since. My computers are all Apple /Mac though.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Well I like Apple products, they to me are for dummies. I say this as back in 1990's I wanted to replace my Memory Typewriter. So I went to Office Depot purchase a Compac PC, and HP LazerWriter. Office Depot offered a 30 day return policy.

Setup my New Computer, and hooked up the HP Printer. Founth for 3 day, when I had free tome to try to get computer to get printer to do a test sheet. After this waist of time, I returned both to Office Depot for REFUND.

Went to Montgomery Wards purchased an Apple Performa, and StyleWriter II. Simple as 1, 2, 3 to set up, and then I did the same TEST Print thing. System worked, and life was wonderful. Yes the Apple system was more expensive, but they seem to be ME friendly.

Next Apple was in 2003 a E-Mac, and Canon Printer. Again everything work a simple as pie.

E-Mac died in December of 2022. Now I have a MacBook Air, and Brother Printer.

I-Phones are like Apple Computer easy to use.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:38 am
Ankerson wrote:
IPHONE for me.
I hear ya man. The wife & daughter wouldn't even consider going to Android. But, they started with Iphone - as I started with Android. I think that's the big hold up with me not going to IPhone.
I started out early with the IPHONES, as in my 1st good smart phone that wasn't a pain. I did have a smart phone that wasn't an IPHONE 1st and it was a pain to use and the battery drained fast etc.

I will stick with IPHONES.

Still on my IP 11.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:07 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:38 am
Ankerson wrote:
IPHONE for me.
I started out early with the IPHONES, as in my 1st good smart phone that wasn't a pain. I did have a smart phone that wasn't an IPHONE 1st and it was a pain to use and the battery drained fast etc.

I will stick with IPHONES.

Still on my IP 11.
Yeah, my wife still has her 11 - but, that 14 Pro just came in about 90 minutes ago
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

IPhone. I just upgraded my 6s to a 13 mini, as the whole household is on Apple. The integration of family calendars / diaries prevents so many arguments….
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:13 pm
IPhone. I just upgraded my 6s to a 13 mini, as the whole household is on Apple. The integration of family calendars / diaries prevents so many arguments….
Yes. I certainly understand that!
sok

Post by sok »

My first smartphone was a crackberry. I swore I would never go away from a keypad.

Then I went with an iPhone 3, then various sized Androids for a while.

I made the final switch to Apple with an iPhone 7 and I now have had an iPhone mini 13 for about a year. I found I don’t need anything that iPhone’s closed system doesn’t have. And it integrates pretty good with my iPad.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Android. I started with the Motorola Droid. Those were fun times. Used to do all kinds of stuff to the phone. Overclock, custom roms, even took 2 of the Droids apart to make a useable phone when one broke. Used to use it for USB tether for internet. Now most android phones don't require all of that. I can use wifi Hotspot built into the phone without messing with Root. I purchased a S23 ultra 2 weeks ago and I can't complain. Came from a note 20 ultra. Better battery life and ridiculous camera. I wouldn't get an iPhone if they were handing them out for free. I'd rather pay for an android. The S23 even allows you to charge other devices wirelessly. I do miss SD card slots though. Shame they stopped putting them on phones. Never liked the cloud storage.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:21 pm
Android. I started with the Motorola Droid. Those were fun times. Used to do all kinds of stuff to the phone. Overclock, custom roms, even took 2 of the Droids apart to make a useable phone when one broke. Used to use it for USB tether for internet. Now most android phones don't require all of that. I can use wifi Hotspot built into the phone without messing with Root. I purchased a S23 ultra 2 weeks ago and I can't complain. Came from a note 20 ultra. Better battery life and ridiculous camera. I wouldn't get an iPhone if they were handing them out for free. I'd rather pay for an android. The S23 even allows you to charge other devices wirelessly. I do miss SD card slots though. Shame they stopped putting them on phones. Never liked the cloud storage.
Awesome!
Gotta say, I'm very excited about that 200MP Camera! Our phones just came in yesterday
Hope to have it up and running today
I'm coming from a Note 10+ - should be a very good upgrade im.hoping