Looking to get my first Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mongo1958

Re: Looking to get my first Spyderco

Post by mongo1958 »

dbmc88 wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:41 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:00 am
dbmc88 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:38 pm
The package is secured! I am officially the proud owner of a Manix 2 LW! It's the newer model with the screw together construction as well! So far I really like it, seems like the perfect balance for EDC and the outdoors. Thanks again to everyone for your advice! Alas I also have a few more on my list now, safe to say indeed it won't be my last and I'm not mad about it. Now to just get the hang of the spydey flick.... 🤔😆

Very nice, one of the best EDC knives you could get imo! I can't imagine being without a Manix 2 LW (in my case the REX 45 variant).

What others are you considering? :smirk

Spydieflick: Not important to master at all, but for me most of the times more convenient and a bit quicker and safer in hand than slow rolling.
As always my number one tip: Don't imagine you'd push/flick the blade "outwards" / away from the handle but rather that you "shoot it out the front of the handle" (so push the finger in the hole forward, parallel to the handle, not perpendicular away from it).
https://youtu.be/Y-v-iWnsLdc

I got it! Followed your advice and instantly happened. Now I can do it every time. Thanks for that! On my list.. still have the Sage 5 in the cart idk I just like the look of it. Also the Para 2 and the Endura. I like the salt versions as well I do a bit of fishing at the ocean so I'm sure one of those models will end up in my tackle box. So glad I joined this forum.. you guys rock!
You will absolutely love the Sage 5 LW.
When I opened it for the first time, it opened so fast that it seemed like an auto knife😮.
The Sage 5 is a pocket friendly knife that you will forget you have in your pocket.
The PM2 is also a favorite of mine as well.
Not sure what work environment you work in, the sage won't freak out folks like the PM2 potentially could.
I don't have an Endura but it is highly rated here on the forum.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
Jerome Howard

Post by Jerome Howard »

Be careful. You cannot own just one.
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

Jerome Howard wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:23 pm
Be careful. You cannot own just one.

Scary thing is one of each does not even seem to be enough...
embry386

Post by embry386 »

JoviAl wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:12 am
If you love the manix LW (who wouldn’t?! It’s a beautiful bit of engineering), then I would heartily recommend the Manix XL as your next knife. It’s basically a regular manix, but sized for fighting bear in your underpants. It’s also acceptable to use it for bushcraft, general cutting and even as a rudimentary spoon for eating yoghurt (in the unlikely event that there are no bear around or you happen to be fully clothed).
:') Honestly this right here is part of why I love the Amalgam so much. Used to go for the really pointy knives, but it's tricky to use them for yogurt/peanut butter/jelly/ice cream/oatmeal/etc... These days I have grown to appreciate broad-bladed knives haha

Cool choice dbmc88, and welcome to the world of Spyderco. Watch out or you'll have like 15 knives before you know it (and no money lol)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

embry386 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:39 am
JoviAl wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:12 am
:') Honestly this right here is part of why I love the Amalgam so much. Used to go for the really pointy knives, but it's tricky to use them for yogurt/peanut butter/jelly/ice cream/oatmeal/etc... These days I have grown to appreciate broad-bladed knives haha

;)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

If (when?) I was buying a non salt knife (and pay for a more premium knife), the Roc would be 100% the one.
Unfortunately cant convince myself to commit that much for now for something it is illegal to carry in most places I am.