Caribbean: it’s that time of year again…

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manifestgtr

Caribbean: it’s that time of year again…

Post by Manifestgtr »

This is my favorite time of year and this knife is hugely emblematic of it:
0B854D76-EE85-4D73-8359-B1AC7DD58ED4.jpeg
Busting out the fly rods, hitting the rivers for the first time this spring and fiddling with my caribbean on the ride is one of those “yessss, happy days are here again” feelings.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Wandering_About

Re: Caribbean: it’s that time of year again…

Post by Wandering_About »

Not much spring feeling here yet. It snowed yesterday, and today it's 25F with 20-30mph wind. There's a spring fed creek that keeps me fly fishing during the winter months, but local lakes are still locked in with ice.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

I purchased a Caribbean sheeps foot serrated last month. It's been sitting in a cold Indiana tackle box for weeks waiting to cut. It's my new fishing/bait knife. I'm headed to Florida for vacation in 2 weeks. I cant wait to finally use the thing.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

jmj3esq wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:18 pm
I purchased a Caribbean sheeps foot serrated last month. It's been sitting in a cold Indiana tackle box for weeks waiting to cut. It's my new fishing/bait knife. I'm headed to Florida for vacation in 2 weeks. I cant wait to finally use the thing.
I have a feeling you’ll like it. It’s been my main fishing knife for a couple seasons now and have no plans on replacing it.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Getting ready to head out to the jetties and hopefully land a Ling Cod! So the serrated Caribbean is next to me, and I'm thinking...is this the greatest knife ever made? The odd handle design put me off originally - I even considered dying it. But now - I love everything about this knife, yellow and black striped scales included.

I would certainly purchase a 'Caribbean Jr.'

pleadnotguilty

Post by pleadnotguilty »

I love the theme of this thread! 🥰
bladesandbeverages

Post by bladesandbeverages »

HolySteel wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:18 pm
Getting ready to head out to the jetties and hopefully land a Ling Cod! So the serrated Caribbean is next to me, and I'm thinking...is this the greatest knife ever made? The odd handle design put me off originally - I even considered dying it. But now - I love everything about this knife, yellow and black striped scales included.

I could not agree more with everything you said. Had the exact same experience
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

The PE sheetsfoot is on sale right now for $160, and it's hard to not scooping one up for that price. I just want it for another example of LC200N. That stuff is special.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

HolySteel wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:18 pm

I would love a Carib Jr.

One of the things that put me off the Caribbean was (surprise) not the bumblebee color, but rather, the width of the handle. If we could get a smaller version that would be amazing.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

The Caribbean is such a generally useful design!

My #1 wish for Spyderco is to "un-salt" the Caribbean: make a LW model using a different steel for the base model and 4-way carry.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

derangedhermit wrote: My #1 wish for Spyderco is to "un-salt" the Caribbean: make a LW model using a different steel for the base model and 4-way carry.
You really ARE a deranged hermit! 😆

(I would buy it :squinting-tongue )
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

HolySteel wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:24 am
derangedhermit wrote: My #1 wish for Spyderco is to "un-salt" the Caribbean: make a LW model using a different steel for the base model and 4-way carry.
You really ARE a deranged hermit! 😆

(I would buy it :squinting-tongue )
Well, Sal has been working on new "knife/life without choil" designs. He already has an excellent proven sans choil design, it's just kitted out and marketed as an on-the-water knife. It's an excellent EDC choice as it is. Why not promote its use in that broader market by giving it the FRN, 4-way carry, not-LC200n blade treatment? Call it something else if need be, just re-use the great design.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

That all makes sense. It’s a great blade shape.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I consider my Caribbean: (1) a vast improvement on the Tenacious that initially won me to Spyderco; (2) a reward for sticking with the Glesser genius that gave us the Tenacious; and (3) an inducement to wait for what else will be handle-forward.

Rather than contradict the iconic (and difficult to manufacture) Caribbean by bringing it out as a non-Salt, I’d prefer the fantastic varieties of non-Salt steel to be visited upon Sal’s Lil’Temp3, Rock Jumper, and Leaf Jumper, and the imminent Cliff Jumper, Sequoia, and handle-forward Shaman.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

derangedhermit wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:22 am
The Caribbean is such a generally useful design!

My #1 wish for Spyderco is to "un-salt" the Caribbean: make a LW model using a different steel for the base model and 4-way carry.

It really isn't impossible, but it might take a dealer commissioning an exclusive. They did it with the S30V Autonomy 2 which then was not a Salt model.

Oh and the S90V Siren.
Last edited by Evil D on Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:31 pm
One of the things that put me off the Caribbean was (surprise) not the bumblebee color, but rather, the width of the handle. If we could get a smaller version that would be amazing.

The Lil Temp 3 is fairly close to being a Lil Caribbean, but it still has the tall handle that you don't like. This can be modified on the Caribbean though, it's worth looking into if you love everything else and this is the one detail that's holding you back.

You can't shave that much from the total height before you hit the liners but you could thin it out maybe 1/16 of an inch or so, and you can practically do away with the hooks on the ends.

~David
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:28 pm
nerdlock wrote:

The Lil Temp 3 is fairly close to being a Lil Caribbean, but it still has the tall handle that you don't like. This can be modified on the Caribbean though, it's worth looking into if you love everything else and this is the one detail that's holding you back.

You can't shave that much from the total height before you hit the liners but you could thin it out maybe 1/16 of an inch or so, and you can practically do away with the hooks on the ends.

Got the G10 Lil Temp 3. An amazing small knife, despite the wide palm area, the chamfering makes it comfortable enough for my narrow hands. If they ever make a super stainless or MagnaCut LT3 LW, I'd probably do a blade swap to my G10 and make it a Lil Carib substitute. 😜
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Evil D wrote:
nerdlock wrote:

Strange, but the pics I'm finding of the Lil Temp 3 show a blade that's much fatter than the one you show.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

HolySteel wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:13 am
Evil D wrote:
nerdlock wrote:

Strange, but the pics I'm finding of the Lil Temp 3 show a blade that's much fatter than the one you show.

Because that's a Caribbean 😉

The pic was to show the inside of the G10 scales to give him an idea of how much he might be able to thin out the height of the handle if he really wanted to.
~David
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:05 am
HolySteel wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:13 am

Because that's a Caribbean 😉

The pic was to show the inside of the G10 scales to give him an idea of how much he might be able to thin out the height of the handle if he really wanted to.
:eyes Now I see. :tonque-out