Which Delica 4, is the right Delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sherer19

Which Delica 4, is the right Delica?

Post by Sherer19 »

Hi everyone,
This is a first time post and I completely understand it is a subjective question. However I am considering both the BladeHQ Delicia (Mint FRN and M4), and the Knifejoy edition (Wharncliff 20CV).
I do not know if I love the design of the Delica 4, and would probably prefer models that allow you to grip closer to the blade (such as the Native 5 and Dragonfly, which I already own).
However I like the FRN with skeletonized liners and these seem to be well priced.
I happen to like the green handles and hear good things about the M4 steel. However I do not have any wharncliff blades (except a Mcbee). I feel that handles can always be changed and should go more for bladeshape?

Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Does anyone know if they may be rereleased with DLC coating?

Thank you everyone

Jesse
z1r

Re: Which Delica 4, is the right Delica?

Post by z1r »

Of the two you mention, the Mint M4. I don't care much for the Delica myself, but do like the SE Wharnie.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

personally, i'd go with the wharncliffe. i'm planning on getting one in k390 and in lc200n. it's not my favorite handle either, but it's hard to beat for the overall size, thin blade, and price.

don't forget the leafjumper and rockjumper though. those are good options in this range as well, even though they are only currently available in vg10.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Skar

Post by Skar »

Love the Delica !!
I suggest the m4 Delica or the sfo super blue.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I do love a delica especially wharncliffe ones, but since you like the handle that goes up to the blade I would suggest looking at the rockjumper or leafjumper.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

They all are - if the handle fits your hand, and the knife design fits with your intended uses.

I think both knives mentioned are equally good and equally bad if not a fit for you.

I’m a huge delica 4 fan! I like both the plain edge and the wharncliffe. Think the overall blade length is superb for the wharncliffe ( not too long or too short).

Handle shape is ideal in my hand and I have never felt a need to grip closer.

It is a very popular knife, you should be able to find one local to wrap your hand around.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

The 20cv warncliffe from Knifejoy is a great knife.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I say either the plain jane saber SE delica or a SE wharncliffe.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

There never is a "right" one. Im on my 4th now. Ive got K390 Wharncliffe, M390, Damascus and an M4 on the way. All customized of course.

It's hands down the best sized and weighted EDC knife Ive come across.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The only Delica on my radar is the (eventually) upcoming high performance slicer version. Of the current crop I'd probably get a SE wharnie.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I’ve never had a regular Delica, but I’ve got 3 Salt 2’s (H1 PE, LC200N PE & LC200N SE wharncliffe), so that’s obviously the right Delica IMO.
Lighter (because linerless), same handle shape but slightly thicker (could be here or there depending on preferences), slightly longer blade (or so I’ve been told), more rounded tip on the regular blade (modified sheepsfoot-ish), rust proof and also come in green (though a fair bit more vibrant than the M4 Delica)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Delica is a superb 3 incher for daily mundane chores. Why would you need a tool steel in a medium edc folder… unless you are a steel nerd. My advice : go with the plain VG10 wharnie one. I carry my serrated one probably more than any spyderco folder. VG10 performs well in plain edge and surprisingly well in spyderedge. Trust me, VG10 is the right steel for the Delica.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Both of the Delicas mentioned by the original poster are going to be very good. I personally prefer the slight curve of the standard Delica blade to a Wharncliffe for all around use. M4 is indeed very good steel, but if you need corrosion resistance, then it's not so good. I'm not a huge fan of 20CV but it's not a poor steel by any means, and it does have great corrosion resistance. I do have the regular blade KnifeJoy 20CV Delica, and the blue is really nice, especially with the silver clip/hardware.

It's a pretty safe bet that BladeHQ will have a coated Delica eventually, although the Seki City models like the Delica use a TiCN coating instead of DLC.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

The Delica is the finest EDC pocketknife in the world. The ergos are spot on and afford all the major grips for various types of work. I suggest going with the leaf shaped blade. Spyderco’s VG10 treatment makes it a superb choice to start. After a year with that I went a bit further down the rabbit hole and acquired one featuring K390. While VG10 is superb, K390 is a madman. It is tougher than M4 in side by side tests. I can get it to a finer sharp edge than anything that holds an edge even close to K390. You will need to keep a sheen of mineral oil on the K390 but that is also true for M4. K390 takes a very good looking soft gray patina.

Delicas really smooth out silky, glassy smooth in a couple of weeks. My Native 5, a folder I like, never did become near that smooth. The walk and talk is top drawer.

Oh, and it holds an edge like nobody’s business.

The full flat grind with thin stock is super slicey. That K390 actually scares me…just a little. Lol

Here is a shot of the patina K390 takes so well with my wilderness as the background. I take this fine knife into this intrepid place several times a week.

Last edited by Ryder on Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

If corrosion resistance isn't a worry and you're looking for ultimate edge performance, K390 all the way. Choose wharnie or standard blade shape and enjoy.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
cjk

Post by cjk »

regardless of which Delicas you're trying to decide between, the wharncliffe is the correct answer. Glad I could help! :winking-tongue
cjk

Post by cjk »

Ryder wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:11 pm
The Delica is the finest EDC pocketknife in the world....
Cool picture Ryder!
Sherer19

Post by Sherer19 »

Thank you everyone for the help. As I knew it’s subjective like all knife questions.
I love the opinions and knowledge of this forum, equally to the quality and variety of spyderco s product.

I just picked up the red 45 native 5 and love it and have the k390 manbug.

I’m leaning towards the M4 and perhaps the wharn all black manbug.

I can’t wait to hear the other responses.

One thing, I assume all Delica 4 are screwed construction with steel
Liners under the FRN?

Thanks everyone.
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

cjk wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:15 pm
Ryder wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:11 pm
The Delica is the finest EDC pocketknife in the world....
Cool picture Ryder!

Thanks. There are seven major canyons I can walk to from home leading from desert to mountain peaks. Trails connect 400 square miles of wilderness and National Forest. It would be folly to venture in here without a Delica 4 as part of the 10 Essentials. :smlling-eyes
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I’m sun devil alumni from 85, been out of the valley since 90. Are you further down south in wildcat territory???
So many knives - so little funds!!!