Why is the Kapara so overlooked ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Candyman

Re: Why is the Kapara so overlooked ?

Post by Candyman »

I really think it’s a fantastic knife that is built extremely well. The only thing that stopped me from carrying it regularly was that there wasn’t any jimping by the thumb ramp to have more grip when push cutting. Totally personal preference on my end though.

Rich
Think for yourself
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

One of Spyderco's best collaborations. Great design and execution. No issue for me with the comp lock.

Price is more than fair, and I hope Mr Phillips made some nice coin on it. It's a special knife even for Spyderco, and that's a high bar to clear.
Brian
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

I've bought it and sold it 3 times. It's one of Spyderco's best, and also one of the longest cutting edge to total length knives. However, the stock CF scales are way too slippery, the compression lock tab is way too small due to the thinness of the knife which leaves you either palming the whole knife on close, or uncomfortably pinching it with just thumb and index on close. I'm locking forward to the slippie that is supposedly in the works, I'd even prefer it if it was a back lock or liner lock.
kobold

Post by kobold »

For me it is its compression lock. Not only I prefer other locks or even no lock to a compression lock, but IME Taichung compression locks are simply unusable, ie pressing the tab combined with a wrist action won't close the blade. This was the case with the Sage which after failing to break it in I sold and is the case with the SE wharnie Caribbean also, which I am thinking of selling as soon I find a suitable replacement for it.

I am sure I could jam my finger super deep into the cutout each time and I am sure I could press much, much harder, to achieve a greater rate of successful closures, but why would I do that, when I have other knives where no extra effort and attention is necessary?

Golden made Maxamet PM2 and P3 do work flawlessly/effortlessly and smoothly so I still have them in my collection. However any knife with a compression lock from Taichung is an automatic hard no for me.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Could be pointier like the Chief. Don't like the lanyard hole placement. Needs an aftermarket clip.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

In my book, it's a top three Spyderco of all time, that was not designed by Sal or Eric. :bug-red-white

It's a lifetime keeper! :cheap-sunglasses

Early on too, I bought a bright red backspacer from Alistair directly, and that had it looking like it always should have, to me.
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

kobold wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 6:21 am
For me it is its compression lock. Not only I prefer other locks or even no lock to a compression lock, but IME Taichung compression locks are simply unusable, ie pressing the tab combined with a wrist action won't close the blade. This was the case with the Sage which after failing to break it in I sold and is the case with the SE wharnie Caribbean also, which I am thinking of selling as soon I find a suitable replacement for it.
I had and sold a Kapara for reasons already mentioned by others, namely the skinny and slick handle. But I can't say this is my experience with Taichung compression locks. My Sage 5 is nice and smooth, if a bit lacking in detent force like other Taichung models.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

My guess is that pricing must be in for something too.
It's 3D contoured and all, but in Europe it's around 280€. Even if some of us won't go towards chinese made knives, at this price range the propositions from the competitions have even more premium materials and blade steels (even if blade steel isn't the biggest price difference I'm sure grinding S30V is a cakewalk compared to S90V or even M390, like we see a lot).

And if it's that expensive in Europe it must be quite high in the USA too. I waited a good occasion to buy one, and luckily I could get one brand new for less.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

This thread reminded me that the Kapara is one of my favorite Spyderco collaboration models. It's now in my pocket for the day

I don't have an issue with closing it the traditional compression lock way. But for those who do try closing it like a mid-lock. Use your thumb to move the lock bar over and let the finger choil fall on your finger

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ekastanis wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 11:49 am
kobold wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 6:21 am
I had and sold a Kapara for reasons already mentioned by others, namely the skinny and slick handle. But I can't say this is my experience with Taichung compression locks. My Sage 5 is nice and smooth, if a bit lacking in detent force like other Taichung models.
I understand not wanting to have to mess with a knife but it's an easy fix for the Taichung comp lock and detent

My early Sage 5 wasn't very good either. The CQI ones should be much better and I was considering buying one. That is until I added a ceramic detent ball and opened up the detent hole a little on my existing Sage 5. Now the action rivals my Sage 5 LW. Actually, I think it's even better than my S5LW. It totally transformed the Sage 5 for me. I've done the same to my Kapara, Sliverax, and Mantra
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 12:58 pm
I added a ceramic detent ball and opened up the detent hole a little on my existing Sage 5. Now the action rivals my Sage 5 LW. Actually, I think it's even better than my S5LW. It totally transformed the Sage 5 for me. I've done the same to my Kapara, Sliverax, and Mantra
Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll do this to my Sage 5 and GB2. I saw @phaust's post linking how-to videos, looks pretty straightforward.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The Kapara is the apex of Spyderco collaborations in my opinion.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ekastanis wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 6:20 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 12:58 pm
I added a ceramic detent ball and opened up the detent hole a little on my existing Sage 5. Now the action rivals my Sage 5 LW. Actually, I think it's even better than my S5LW. It totally transformed the Sage 5 for me. I've done the same to my Kapara, Sliverax, and Mantra
Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll do this to my Sage 5 and GB2. I saw @phaust's post linking how-to videos, looks pretty straightforward.
While you're at it I'd recommend you open the detent hole a little. It's easy to do and it doesn't take much to make a big improvement. I suggest you do it by hand (vs under power) and test often

viewtopic.php?p=1294128#p1294128
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I skipped the Kapara, based on looks… The open and closed profiles do not appeal to me, both the handle shape and drop point blade shape. I also prefer a negative blade angle, and this design goes the other way.

It is a popular design so I must be missing something!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

I love my Kapara's. One of Spyderco's best knives. I have the S30v and the 20cv exclusive. I have no issue with the lock. I showed it to one of my long time buddies, in fact the guy that got me started on the Spyderco freight train :beaming-face, and he had never seen one! He was mind boggled at the quality and design. Thing is, neither of us carries one still to this day. I don't know why, but he carries an Endura and a Dragonfly, and I carry a Native Chief lightweight and a Dragonfly. Spyderco makes work horses and the Kapara is just too beautiful to fit in that category? I don't know but when I need to cut up a bunch of stuff I always go for the Dragonfly or the Chief.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cletus wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 3:07 pm
I love my Kapara's. One of Spyderco's best knives. I have the S30v and the 20cv exclusive. I have no issue with the lock. I showed it to one of my long time buddies, in fact the guy that got me started on the Spyderco freight train :beaming-face, and he had never seen one! He was mind boggled at the quality and design. Thing is, neither of us carries one still to this day. I don't know why, but he carries an Endura and a Dragonfly, and I carry a Native Chief lightweight and a Dragonfly. Spyderco makes work horses and the Kapara is just too beautiful to fit in that category? I don't know but when I need to cut up a bunch of stuff I always go for the Dragonfly or the Chief.

A bit like it was in my case:

Differently to you I did use my Kapara (got one pretty soon after it firstly came out) a lot and for all kinds of tasks, also "dirty and hard" ones. Did not baby it at all.
I liked many aspects of the design, especially the edge to handle ratio, the not TOO fine tip, the clever way the choil sacrifices almost no cutting edge length.

But in the end and overall I just realized that for me personally and purely practically speaking the Endura works just better and overall is the better design in that size range for me.

So I sold the Kapara, but miss it sometimes. If I was more of a "collector" in the sense of accumulating a lot of knives, I´d definitely still have mine.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

After my post, of COURSE I just had to dig out and admire my Kapara's. Sooo, now the 20cv is in my pocket and a set of burlap micarta scales are on the way. :winking-tongue I feel that it should have a rougher surface to grab onto. Now for a cru-carta Kapara! ')
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Is the Kapara really overlooked? In terms of sales? I find it one of the better colabs Spyderco has done. Great slicer, light weight and very nice ergo's. I would prefer a bit stronger detent and a bit larger area
to access the compression lock.

PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
WRB

Post by WRB »

Back when I really wanted to get my hands on one, I couldn't. Now that I can, I don't think the price lines up with what you get. If the price were dropped a touch, the blade S90V, and slap on some G10/Micarta scales we might be in business. My $0.02 anyway.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

The 20cv exclusive with g-10 scales was quite a bit cheaper than the standard carbon fiber version. That solid carbon fiber must cost a bundle. An s90 blade and micarta would probably be cheaper.