Why is the Kapara so overlooked ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Why is the Kapara so overlooked ?

Post by elena86 »

One of Spyderco's finest high-end folders to date if you ask me. Splendid fit and finish, stellar blade and ergos....and yet it doesn't seem to be very popular even among the ''connaisseurs''. Most seem to gravitate around the same 5-6 models. I wonder why ?! Any thoughts ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
mikey177

Re: Why is the Kapara so overlooked ?

Post by mikey177 »

I have to concentrate more when unlocking the Kapara because of its skinny and relatively slicker scales. Sometimes I feel like I might accidentally drop it while manipulating the compression lock.

Thus it gets used less compared to the Yojimbo 2 or Amalgam, for example.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Not by me! Everything else gets judged against it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Well, I really liked my Kapara when I had it.

Has a lot going for it:
- Great amount of cutting edge for the very compact carry
- Perfect choil for an a bit larger knife (eats up just very little edge)
- A lot of clearance for the hand when cutting on a surface
- Great fit and finish

What I still disliked:
- Comp.lock with small cutout and combined with the narrow, slick scales not ideal
- Deep carry clip. I really dislike those, especially on longer handles.

So: In my efforts to keep my array of Spydies as slim as possible I decided that in the end my Enduras are the "better Kaparas"...

A Micarta or FRN linerlock version of the Kapara though would be an instant buy for me... :smirk
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Not overlooked.
I think Warty summed it up quite eloquently.
The Kapara is among a handful of Spydercos I would love to try, because it offers a few things that I often miss from other models. Especially the incorporation of that choil that gets you right up the edge without eating too much into it, preserving a good edge ratio even with that choil.
Then again, there are other design elements that make it a less obvious choice for what I'll likely use it for. CF, comp lock, liners... those are maybe not ideal. Again, I would love to try it, that could sway me over, but I'm currently at a point where I've compiled more than enough knives that turned out to be not ideal. Non of those trials and errors did come with a USD 450 penalty though..
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

I love my kapara. It’s my favorite knife. I did upgrade it with RGT python micarta scales because I thought they were the coolest looking thing out there. I was surprised how much extra grip it gave me and how much more secure it feels in hand now. I keep casually looking for another one to use hard. My first one was a gift and has too much sentimental value to be beat on.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the kapara is a very interesting knife to me, but it always ends up falling behind in line when it's time to pick something new. either other designs are slightly more intriguing (or an exclusive that i can only get right now), other steels are calling me, there is another new manix i need, or it's some combination of those reasons.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

mikey177 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:21 am
I have to concentrate more when unlocking the Kapara because of its skinny and relatively slicker scales. Sometimes I feel like I might accidentally drop it while manipulating the compression lock.

I don’t have one but have handled one twice and have the same impressions which are magnified being left handed . Disappointing since Knife feels so nice in hand . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Skinny contoured scales, don't play nice with the compression lock. Too little real estate to pinch when closing. You can close it like a back lock, but at that point it may as well be a back lock. It is extremely comfortable in hand. I will say my preferences have changed in that for a work knife I prefer a little more meat to grasp. For and EDC knife it is almost perfect.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Hard to close. Too narrow and too slippery. Shame. Beautiful blade.
- Richard
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

I love mine and zero issues with the lock. One of smoothest knives I’ve ever owned.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I regret not owning a Kapara, and I think in a lot of ways it was "designed for me." I like a narrow knife with a narrow handle, which means it will be pocket friendly (though not in slippery CF, a least-favorite handle material for me). I love a choil that's mostly in the handle and just a little in the blade...wish they were all that way. I regret when a choil unnecessarily eats up useable edge. The blade shape is great. Love the deep carry wire clip. Everything about it says "Great knife for Mr. Bolster" except...the last thing I need is more S30V, I already have enough S30V to supply a small army. So my S30V embargo scotched the Kapara. Maybe I should sell some other S30V knife and get the Kapara instead...
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:21 am
I regret not owning a Kapara, and I think in a lot of ways it was "designed for me." I like a narrow knife with a narrow handle, which means it will be pocket friendly (though not in slippery CF, a least-favorite handle material for me). I love a choil that's mostly in the handle and just a little in the blade...wish they were all that way. I regret when a choil unnecessarily eats up useable edge. The blade shape is great. Love the deep carry wire clip. Everything about it says "Great knife for Mr. Bolster" except...the last thing I need is more S30V, I already have enough S30V to supply a small army. So my S30V embargo scotched the Kapara. Maybe I should sell some other S30V knife and get the Kapara instead...
Kapara in LC200N or Magnacut would be just about perfect.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

mikey177 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:21 am

Bingo nailed it on the head exactly, but you only know this once you use it.

It is great for all other reasons yet to be enumerated but slick scales are just plain unwelcome by me in actual use. Currently getting over heartburn concerning price of after market scales it should have come with to begin with.

You know the ones at DLT with traction, for people who actually use their knives. >:[
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Is it overlooked? I agree with OP that the majority of this forum seems to gravitate around the same 5 or 6 models, but I always sort of thought the Kapara got a good amount of positive attention for a collaboration.

In my experience, I don’t find the handle to be “too slippery” at all nor do I find access to the compression lock to be difficult. Not saying those can’t be issues for some people, they’re just not in my experience. I find it to be a very comfortable knife in hand and the blade shape is absolutely ideal for my preferences. It has a low tip, good amount of edge length, and the edge doesn’t have a large belly. To top it all off, the fit and finish is reliably awesome! It’s easily one of the best knives Spyderco currently makes.
-Nick :bug-red
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I definitely find the Kapara intriguing. Still, the price is just too high for a knife I would have to mod with micarta scales to make it useful to me. I'd have sunk $350 before I even cut enough to become disappointed with a blade that's at least 0.5mm too thick. I've read that it's really slicy, but what's essentially a folding paring knife should have a blade no more than 2.5mm thick.

That's my opinion, admittedly having never held or even seen the knife in person. ;)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I will say, the RGT Scales you can get from DLT help, but do not completely eliminate the issue. I really think it is more about the contoured already skinny scales creating very little real estate to pinch when closing while also having a small lock opening. In use in a full grip, the factory scales are not an issue. The ergos take over.

I made this comparison in another thread. If you have a Caly 3.5 ZDP-189 in CF, the scales are glass smooth. No traction really. I have never felt that knife was going to slip out of my hands when closing. It is a back lock. I have dropped the Kapara a few times when I was closing it. I wasn't laser focused on closing the knife.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

On paper, the Kapara seemed perfect for me. I loved the look, wire clip, choil design, and the blade shape. However, as others have said, I find the CF a bit slick, and the compression lock seems like a less than optimal choice here given the handle height. As it is, I end up closing the Kapara like a back lock.

I did get some micarta scales for it, but they don't help as much as I'd hoped. In fact, I plan to go back to the CF. I'd like to see a version of this knife with textured G10 (similar to PM2), but contoured like the CF, and a liner lock or back lock.

I do still like the knife, though.
Last edited by Road Tripper on Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

I was wondering about the CF Scales on the Kapara, I have the DLT Exclusive in 20CV with the grey G10 and it is too slippery with the small CF lock space.

This is the only thing that keeps it out of the pocket, a PM 2 kicked it back into the box as I am currently contemplating yet another PM2 this time in 15V so carrying my S35VN PM2 today and bypassed my Kapara to see if I can stand the brown scales and the drop point after carrying the Wharncliffe version for so long. So far I am liking the Earth Brown Scales more than I used to.

When I purchased the Kapara in 20CV I was still in stupid A$$ mode thinking S30V was not good enough. Since then I have learned how to really sharpen S30V and honestly it is more than good enough on everything really.

In fact If not for the CF Lock the scales would be far less of an issue, knifes a natural for the ( Dare I say it here? ) Benchmade axis lock.

By the way guys thanks for the honest input on the aftermarket scales you just saved me the disappointment, hmmm maybe it's time to trade mine for a CF S30V version on Blade Forums where someone might actually like the smoothness?
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

It looked like The One on paper for me, but in hand it never felt safe. The slick scales, comp lock, and shallow choil with very little finger guard left me feeling nervous every time I went to use it with my big clumsy hands.

I think a slight redesign could make it one of the greats, but until then my GB2 gets the 3.5" Tiachung pocket time. I like the comp lock, but the push for it on knives that would be better suited with a liner lock or back lock leaves me wondering.