glove compartment knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

glove compartment knife?

Post by sethwm »

What do folks keep in their glove compartment? Serrated for seatbelts? Nothing? A small bug for random packages?

I have a vg10 dragonfly myself but I’ve never used it (since I always have something on me) but it makes me feel better to have it.
Mushroom

Re: glove compartment knife?

Post by Mushroom »

I keep an Astute in my car for the odd chance that I go out and forget to have a knife in my pocket. Which is apparently less rare than I thought because I’ve had to pocket the Astute a few times already.
-Nick :bug-red
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

S35VN Resilience. Sometimes a larger blade is a better fit for impromptu food prep than my EDC.
R100

Post by R100 »

I ride a motorcycle and always carry a SE H1 Pac Salt in my jacket. In the glovebox of my wife's car is a VG10 Endela that has too much lock rock for me to ever carry but is useful if a sharp blade is needed.

Dan
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

4WD:
-SE Tenacious, primarily for slicing bread and other fibrous foods on the go.
-Hultafors OK4 carbon steel fixed blade for rougher work
-LM Supertool 300 for quick access to misc. tools (more in the trunk, incl. a Fiskars X11 axe).

EV:
-CS American Lawman (relegated to glove comp. duty as it drifted out of my EDC rotation. The compact yet stout construction turned out to be a pretty nice fit for a small car with limited storage space).
-LM Rebar (basically my main tool kit for this car, there's not much you can do in way of repairs anyways)

Edit: Just to add, I've used the glove comp. tools in my 4WD on multiple occasions. It's the car we take for vacations and longer trips, to trailheads and most other outdoor activities, so they often come in handy.
The EV tools hardly ever see any use, but I seem to remember having needed both at some point, but hardly with any regular frequency.
Last edited by aicolainen on Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I don't carry any knife in my glove box, but I have Victorinox Rescue Tool in my car - but mainly with the idea to help others (should that ever be necessary, hopefully not).
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For years it was my D'Allara 2 but I'd feel ok with practically any Salt model you like. It'll be less likely to dull over time (so long as you didn't leave a burr when you put it away) and they're generally less expensive so you can justify buying a knife just to close up and forget about. I've been meaning to update my first aid kits and I think I'll be adding a MagnaCut Native 5 Salt to them, I keep one in each car and one in the kitchen pantry. Something like this could also save you on the day you forget your usual EDC at home.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I leave a serrated pacific salt in the truck. It’s there in case of emergencies or if I forget to put a knife in my pocket before walking out the door - which does actually happen from time to time
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i always have a se spyderco on me for emergency use, so i don't need to leave any spydercos in my vehicle. i've been considering getting an orange cara cara rescue for each vehicle though.

i do leave some knives/tools in the car for survival purposes, but those are a cold steel voyager tanto xl and a rajah ii. the tanto is for urban scenarios and the rajah for wilderness. i also leave a mora, a laplander saw, and a swiss army knife in my bag. actually, i also have my magnacut mule in my bag, not that i think about it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

SE wharncliffe Endura with micarta scales clipped to a cup in a cup holder is my daily driver
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Assist Salt
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ok, confession: It is not a Spydie... :grimace (and it is not in the glove compartment, but openly on that "platform" between the front seats):

A long discontinued leatherman knife Crater c33tx... Comboedge 420HC blade, plus a pretty ok phillips and flathead screwdriver (and a bottle opener/carabiner).

I practically always have a Spydie in pocket anyway, never bothered with selling the leatherman, and just keep it there in my car though I almost never use it. The thin, combo edge blade could come in handy though for seatbelt cutting, and the a bit multitoolish aspects (screwdrivers) can´t hurt either.

Still: The LM is certainly in a place that I´ll HAVE TO find a Spyderco for instead eventually and replace the former with it ;)
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
olywa

Post by olywa »

Orange Byrd Cara Cara Rescue in my glovebox. Been glad to have it on more than one occasion.

Edited to add that this knife has 'rescued' more picnics than anything else. I count that as good fortune.
Last edited by olywa on Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Any time I'm out of the house I carry a medium-to-large Spyderco folder, so when I'm in the car there's always a knife on me. I keep a counterfeit Civilian on the platform between the seats.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I can see already that my assessments and considerations for choosing glove compartment knives deviate a bit from the mean.
Not an unusual situation for me :) but in this case it's quite interesting, and maybe worth digging into.
As a few points out they always carry a knife, so what's in the glove box isn't a biggie. OK, maybe. Context and reasoning is everything, I guess.
For me, the knives (and other tools) in the car is primarily for unexpected situations like car breakdown or road closures (and subsequent efforts to repair, stay warm, safe and reasonably comfortable), or hitting/finding a hurt animal hit by another car that needs to be euthanized. All these situations are rare (so far anyways), so I don't want to tie up a lot of money in these tools. I usually pick reasonably suitable knives from my drawer that didn't quite fit into the role I initially had in mind, that would otherwise be hot candidates for resale.
Winter conditions around here can be very harsh and with our low population density many roads are very desolate, with the potential to get stranded alone for a very long time before anyone comes by. So in essence; anything that goes wrong can turn into a quite challenging situation that I wouldn't be caught in without some good quality, suitable tools. This becomes even more obvious when we move out of the glove compartment and look around the rest of the car (4WD specifically), but that's for another topic. And all this is of course true no matter who drives the car, so what I normally carry in my pockets carry little to no weight in that regard.

As far as rescue specific knives go, it hasn't been an important consideration. If I'm cognizant, mobile and tactile enough to retrieve something from my glove box, I believe I should be able to free myself from my seatbelt with just about any knife. Like @Matus, my rescue priorities are more focused toward helping others and since driving any of my cars is a pretty rare occurrence for me, I keep my rescue tools in my backpack (specifically a BM rescue hook and LM Raptor shears) so they're always with me no matter if I walk, bike, take public transport, share a ride or drive one of my own cars.

Self defense has not been a consideration. I have no knife training whatsoever, so unless I'm coincidentally on my way to/from the gun range or to/from a hunt, I put my trust in good shoes and a fast pair of legs.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Byrd rescue 2 stays in center armrest compartment. Everyone should own one of these might be the best bang for your buck lightsaber out there. It's a cutting machine.

Every male in my family has been gifted one.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Mora Companion stainless. Mostly gets used for picnics.

OG PM2 in the console as my beater/backup.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Just an old Gerber M600 multitool. Too many break-ins….
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Glove compartments are unknown to my Spydies.

My first-loved Spydie, a much-used M4 Manix2 (the first BBS exclusive), rides in the recess of my very low-mileage Tacoma’s’s dashboard.

When in the Prius, a VG10 Assist rides within easy reach in my General Outing bag under my legs.

I remain skeptical that a knife will do much good in my own wreck. Bad impacts typically dislodge stuff and let it fly, not to mention distort the interior and its conveniences and impede access to them. IMO, rescue knives are for other people’s wrecks…
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

I got too good of a deal on a SE Rescue 3 so it now lives in my truck. It’s never even been used, just sharp and toothy and ready for some work.