What you don't like about spyderco knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Brock O Lee

Re: What you don't like about spyderco knives?

Post by Brock O Lee »

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but I don't like designs, like the G10 Manix, where a flared lanyard tube is used for structural integrity at the back of the scales.

This is probably never going to be an issue for people who don't disassemble their knives. It makes it hard though for complete disassembly (for scale swaps or dye jobs), and reassembly. It is hard to get a solid fit again when using a previously flared lanyard tube, and if you replace it with an aftermarket tube, you have to glue the back together. This does not inspire confidence for a design that has a reputation for being robust and ready for "harder than average" use.

The converse is also true, on a PM2 and others I had to deal with a rattling lanyard tube. A drop of superglue normally sort it out but. Now I tinker and tune my knives, so it is not a big deal to me, but why should an end user have to deal with that?
Last edited by Brock O Lee on Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
vivi

Post by vivi »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:43 pm
Not sure if this was mentioned before, but I don't like designs, like the G10 Manix, where a flared lanyard tube is used for structural integrity at the back of the scales.

This is probably never going to be an issue for people who don't disassemble their knives. It makes it hard for complete disassembly (for scale swaps or dye jobs), and reassembly. It is hard to get a solid fit again when using a previously flared lanyard tube, and if you replace it with an aftermarket tube, you have to glue the back together. This does not inspire confidence for a design that has a reputation for being robust and ready for "harder than average" use.
I dunno how I've never run into this issue. I've scale swapped 3 Manix folder and two Millies without issues, and have taken them apart a few times each as well.
:unicorn
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Guess it depends on the degree of flare. I've experienced this especially with older Manix's, perhaps it has been addressed already.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Id change how they do sprints if I could.

I would like to see the older modles updated with a new steels.

I don't really care about what steel they use as long as it's quality like vg 10 ect.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JAfromMN wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:22 pm

I don't really care about what steel they use as long as it's quality like vg 10 ect.

Um... I'm confused.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:50 pm
JAfromMN wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:22 pm

Um... I'm confused.
Well ill try to reword but it's pretty simple

Id just like to see more modles from the past come back into production with using modern steel. Things have come a long way since gin 1 , g2 , ats55 and 440hc.
Metallurgy is way way more understood now than just 20 years ago. :)
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Haunted House wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:28 am
•I really, REALLY wish they would make course and fine CBN or Diamond rods for the sharpmaker. In this age of “super steels”, it’s a bit of a head scratcher that they don’t offer course/medium/fine in diamond or CBN.

My biggest wish at the moment!
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

First I want to say, Spyderco is my favorite knife brand. There are no other production knives out there that perform that well, or at least I don't know of any.

But they are not perfect. So this is, what I don't like:

The hole.
Don't get me wrong, the hole is by far the very best opening method out there. Nothing comes even close. I absolutely love the hole. But it is also true, that there is a big hole in the blade. That can't be good for the strength of the blade. And I often feel, a smaller hole would do just fine. On the other hand, all my Spydercos are folders, so the blade does not need to be that strong.
So not really a complaint.

The fit and finish.
Yes, these are production knives and one can only expect so much but for the price they sell, (partly a problem because I pay EU prices) I often wish for more. Sure they most often cut well and all but still, most other brands, independent if cheaper or equal in price, seem to do a better job. There are factorys that do better, than others but in general the fit and finish of the Spyderco knives I own is not where I think the price would indicate.

Warranty.
Again this is mainly because, I (living in the EU) decided to buy a knife from a brand located in the USA. But if I buy a Spyderco, I buy it knowing there effectively won't be any warranty for me. Either send it back within 14 days to the seller or keep it. If there appears a problem after the 14 days I have to deal with it by myself. Sending it to Golden, in most cases, is just not economical and or worth the risk. But I also have to say, there never was a reason to send one back to Golden.

Detent.
Maybe this is a me problem, too. For me the Spyderco knives, that rely on a detent ball to stay closed often are to easy to open. This is fixable and so I have increased the detent on most of my Spydercos. Still it is something I wish would not be necessary.

Compression lock.
This is purely on me. I just don't like the CL that was designed for right handed people. Does not work for me. For clarity; I am left handed. Often I read that other left handed people are fine with the CL but a liner lock is difficult for them. For me it is just the other way around.

Pocket clips.
It's more about the placement of the clip. Sometimes it feels like the location of the lanyard hole got a higher priority than that of the clip. For me the clip is more important than the lanyard hole.
At first I though, I also would like deep carry clips better. But after thinking about it a little more, I came to the conclusion, that my favorite EDC already has a deep carry clip (UKPK) and in other scenarios a non deep carry clip has some advantages. So it really depends on the specific use, I personally have for the knife.
In theory it would be perfect if all Spydercos came with both types in the box, none already screwed to the knife. This would prevent the markings in the scales for the collectors and compensate a little for the added cost of the second clip, since one assembly step can be saved.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Something new i do not like about spyderco....
Mainly the quality of there servers of the main website!! :rofl
Sal please buff up the server against the next online Sale. You would make so many people happy if they could also have a chance on something they want. Also if possible put a limit on 1 login purchase round per online ID , i mean people getting multiple orders and plunder everything while so many can not even get on the site isnt really fair. If i remember correctly from the forum you even give people a time limit at the physical sale.
So if the case this would be a no brainer to set some rules against acounts having multiple orders during an online second sale.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I don't like how I inflation has put most spydercos out of my price range. I bought a 15v shaman as it was a "must have" but don't see any other knife purchases in my near future. No fault to spyderco but disappointing all the same.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

My complaint list:
- Eliminate all T6 screws on all mid-size and larger models, specifically the pocket clips
- Get rid of the lanyard holes. Nobody I know uses them and they're pointless. Or at least stop using lanyard hole tubes that are difficult to remove
- Ship the pm2 (and other models) in the tip-up orientation, as that seems to be generally preferred
- Ship the cage ball lock models with titanium (or at least steel) cages. I'd pay extra for that.
- Add some texture to the Shaman grips. I like that they are thick and rounded off, but they dont have much purchase

Thats all I got!
BingBong

Post by BingBong »

Jim Malone wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:19 pm
The cost. In Europe they are very expensive.
Agree. Probably just a lack/absence of competition between European Spyderco importers/dealers. German Spyderco prices seem especially high (19% VAT) compared to some other European countries which have higher VAT.