Major weight difference👀. Why ❓❓🫠❓❓

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Major weight difference👀. Why ❓❓🫠❓❓

Post by Evil D »

One has skeletonized nested liners, one has full non-skeletonized liners.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

They’re both skeletonized I think, but the PM2’s liners are also nested, which removes more weight.
The Manix’s lock is a few extra components, including a large steel bar, while the PM2’s Comp Lock is just part of the liner, so the latter has a lot less metal in the handle.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cl1ff wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:21 pm
They’re both skeletonized I think, but the PM2’s liners are also nested, which removes more weight.
---

No, the liners of the S30V G10 Manix are not skeletonized, hence the weight of 4.9 oz

The liners of all (I think) other G10 Manixes ARE skeletonized, hence a weight for those of 4.2 oz
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

For some reason the exclusives, and I think sprint runs Manixes, Manixi or whatever have heavily skelonitized liners where the standard version does not. Plus wide blade and handle make for more material.
Last edited by JSumm on Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
RandomNick

Post by RandomNick »

Two very different knives. Why is it surprising the weight would be different?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Is the weight difference really "major?"
They're completely different knives.

StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

One ounce isn't that big of a deal unless you're going into space or hiking up a mountain.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Muchograzes.😇
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:38 pm
Cl1ff wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:21 pm
---

No, the liners of the S30V G10 Manix are not skeletonized, hence the weight of 4.9 oz

The liners of all (I think) other G10 Manixes ARE skeletonized, hence a weight for those of 4.2 oz
Oh, thank you! I didn’t know there would be a difference. My 15V Manix is pretty extensively skeletonized, but I probably should have listened to my hand telling me it felt a bit lighter than 5 ounces!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

People have different preferences. I like lightweight knives and yeah, I agree, an ounce is a sizable difference. It's not a strength thing, that's silly to misattribute the preference for LW to a lack of bodily strength. Besides, carrying a 9 oz knife doesn't make anybody a macho man. The desirable difference with a LW knife, for me, is: I tend to be constantly aware of heavier knives in the pocket, and I prefer lighter knives that "disappear" from awareness, until needed. A big heavy knife slapping against my leg is a distraction for me. So "I get it," Pincher Man. It's perfectly OK to buy on weight or lack thereof. Skeletonized liners highly recommended, if linerless doesn't do it for ya. Couldn't pay me to carry full linered knives.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

I like getting slapped on the leg.
Less so on the wrist.
Last edited by Cheddarnut on Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Two completely different knife models that aren't even in the same series. Weight is one of many differences between the two.

I'd suggest requesting a Spyderco catalog (very nicely printed and free) so you can see the knives pictured to scale. Looking at website photos doesn't tell the tale when it comes to the size of a knife, which can get extra confusing when trying to compare models.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The weight difference is definitely enough to feel, and once upon a time it did bother me enough to do a heck of a lot of work to even them out.

viewtopic.php?t=70091#p1072767
~David
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

At 280lbs I don't notice an ounce... ever.

It is like the time the guy tried to sell me a carbon fibre road bike. His major selling point was that it was x ounces (maybe pounds... who knows) lighter. I thought I sweat that in an hour. We won't even talk about the weight difference a bathroom break makes. Money saved.

I like linered knives, I am mostly ambivalent if they are skeletonized. I would love to see the Stretchy Salt with liners...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bobnikon wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:03 pm

I feel like you could weigh 1000lbs and still feel the weight difference and especially the balance difference in your hand. That's where it matters most to me. That said I think my current favorite knives are among the heavier options in the catalog (Autonomy 5.3oz and Shaman 5.2oz).
~David
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:18 pm
bobnikon wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:03 pm
I feel like you could weigh 1000lbs and still feel the weight difference and especially the balance difference in your hand. That's where it matters most to me. That said I think my current favorite knives are among the heavier options in the catalog (Autonomy 5.3oz and Shaman 5.2oz).

Fair,
I am not saying I can't feel it in hand, I am just saying it doesn't impact my use of the knife. I like my Chavez, SHF, Pac Salt2, and Bugout all for their own features. A knife being light, doesn't impact me the slightest for use, much more so blade size and profile, for carry weight (for the most part) I don't much care, though in very light shorts I suppose prefer a light knife because I don't do in-waistband-carry. But the majority of times I am in jeans, so ambivalent.