Macro & Close-Up Photos!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Fly Fishing Rick

Re: Macro & Close-Up Photos!

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 12:16 pm
Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:42 am
If it were me I'd stick with Nikon since you already have Nikon compatible glass and the differences between the top manufacturers is negligible at best and comes down to a few specific features and the layout/feel of the buttons/body. I feel that buying DSLRs is a much better bang for your buck right now because the higher end DSLRs are better than all but the flagship mirrorless models such as the Z9, for a fraction of the cost. If I had to choose a FF camera today and I was low on cash and already had Nikon glass, I'd prolly pick up a used D810 but I have a D850 on my wish list. In a perfect world you'd have both FX and DX and use whichever suited what you were doing that day, and by staying in the same system your FX lenses would be interchangeable with your DX body which could be useful in the future as your collection grows. I paid around $1k for my DX D500 because I wanted a camera that was good for action and wildlife, I could have had a really nice FX model and had a few hundred left towards another lens but I chose the tool that fit what I wanted to do best. I hope your lens comes today and that it helps you itch this scratch haha, best of luck!
Hehe, we'll see how it goes. There was an A7SII for sale in my area, that I had my eyes on, but I've been caught up in stuff and now it's sold, so I guess I've got some more time to think this through.
When I got into photography the first time around, I was always hoping for a one and done, all-in-one solution to come along. Fast AF, low light performance, IQ and all of that. Of course that gets big, heavy and expensive very fast. Especially back then. I'm more laidback now. I don't need to have an all in one solution. I don't even think it's ideal. Maybe sometime in the future, but not with the current tech.
I don't even think I would want something as big as the D850 (i.e. pro DSLR bodies) or even Z9 sized as my people-/social situations camera. And that's where I miss FF the most. E.g. the pics I got of my kids back when I had FF is just on another level from anything I've been able to produce since. Fast, reliable AF and good low light performance in the smallest package possible, is really what I'm looking for in that domain. So it could basically be a mirrorless with only one lens, and I would likely be very well served by a crop sensor DSLR for everything else.
Ohh... lens arrived at the PO. Go to go :)
I agree that the pro bodies can be kind of large and cumbersome but with that size/weight penalty comes excellent performance and a rugged housing. I can see mirrorless having the advantage for social situations or public events for their quiet shutter and smaller size(depending on which model you choose). I also love the idea of the auto focus not having to be calibrated with mirrorless... I still don't see myself switching any time soon tho, since there's no real performance increase in it for the kind of shooting that I do without going straight to a Z9 which is way outside my price range. I'm glad your lens arrived, hope to see some photos soon!
-Jimmy
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

I'm watching this discussion. I am still using my Olympus E520 and my E330. My dad gave me his older Sony A7 with some lenses that need an adapter. I'm not sure what I think of it yet.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

troutinCO wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 1:35 pm
I'm watching this discussion. I am still using my Olympus E520 and my E330. My dad gave me his older Sony A7 with some lenses that need an adapter. I'm not sure what I think of it yet.
I think I'm guilty of derailing the discussion quite a bit, but then again, it was Rick who offered his advice. Actually, now that I think about it, he's to blame for everything. My new lens, me keeping an eye on the secondary market and spending too much time catching up on the tech.

Just kidding ofc. I'm actually quite happy to feel the spark again.

Olympus has always made good cameras, IMO. And they were high on my list when I first got into photography. I remember reading an article about a war zone photographer that swore by them, and I was of course quite intrigued by this. I traveled extensively myself at the time, so while a wee bit safer it was still relatable.
The Nikon D300s that I'm currently using got released around the same time as your E520, so we're shooting with same gen. tech.
My Olympus OM-D E-M10 (who decides those model names anyways?) is a generation or two younger (same year as the OG A7), but still feeling the age somewhat. I got it at the tail end of my travelling days, so it did manage to see a couple of continents and live up to my initial expectations attached to the Olympus brand before we settled on a more stationary lifestyle.

With that I think I'll return this thread to it's initial topic.

PS! would very much like to hear what you think of the A7 when your thoughts on it has matured. That's probably a topic for another thread though.
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Well here are some close ups of a new to me mineral specimen. I'm choosing to post this since it comes from North Table Mesa, right by the SFO.
Thomsonite (the white fuzzy stuff, that also happened to form in a stalagmite form)
I think the clear crystal mineral on there is chabazite based on other specimens from there. This is where I wish I had a true macro.
Thomsonite & Chabazite - North Table Mnt, Golden, CO (4) crop.jpg
Thomsonite & Chabazite - North Table Mnt, Golden, CO (9)crop.jpg
Fly Fishing Rick

troutinCO wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 1:08 pm
Well here are some close ups of a new to me mineral specimen. I'm choosing to post this since it comes from North Table Mesa, right by the SFO.
Thomsonite (the white fuzzy stuff, that also happened to form in a stalagmite form)
I think the clear crystal mineral on there is chabazite based on other specimens from there. This is where I wish I had a true macro.
Thomsonite & Chabazite - North Table Mnt, Golden, CO (4) crop.jpg
Thomsonite & Chabazite - North Table Mnt, Golden, CO (9)crop.jpg
Very cool, it looks delicate. Thanks for sharing! :smlling-eyes
-Jimmy
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Just unboxed, doing a quick test on my tabletop. There’s quite a few things to learn here, but I’ll get there eventually.
Fly Fishing Rick

aicolainen wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 3:41 pm
Just unboxed, doing a quick test on my tabletop. There’s quite a few things to learn here, but I’ll get there eventually.
Looks good, that super shallow depth of field is the biggest thing to get used to. When shooting insects, arachnids, and other small critters just make sure the eyes are in focus and you're pretty much good to go. You may also want to look into stacking photos to get a larger depth of field eventually as well.
-Jimmy
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
Fly Fishing Rick

Makunochimaster wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 1:00 pm
Pine tree?
-Jimmy
Makunochimaster

Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 1:16 pm
Pine tree?
Seems yes 🤔
Donut

Post by Donut »

I got a reverse lensing kit and I don't think I have the patience for macro photography. This is the only shot I took.

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Fly Fishing Rick

Donut wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 5:48 am
I got a reverse lensing kit and I don't think I have the patience for macro photography. This is the only shot I took.

Haha using a reversing ring or extension tubes makes the learning curve so much steeper than just starting with a dedicated macro lens. Macro is not for everyone though, some people just can't stand having that super shallow depth of field that comes with all macro lenses. If you think you'd really like it but are just not sure, I suggest getting a cheap used macro lens and trying that.
-Jimmy
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'll work on that. You can see in my photo that since I'm at an angle, there is a very small amount in focus and there is a lot that is out of focus.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Fly Fishing Rick

Donut wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 6:25 pm
I'll work on that. You can see in my photo that since I'm at an angle, there is a very small amount in focus and there is a lot that is out of focus.
yep, that's your depth of field, the higher the magnification the more shallow it gets too. For living things just work at getting the eyes in focus to start, a lot can be forgiven if the eyes are sharp and in focus. Eventually you may also want to look into focus stacking, where you take multiple photos focusing on different areas then combine them with software into one image that's sharp from front to back. Even having just 2-3 photos to combine can make quite a difference.
-Jimmy
Fly Fishing Rick

Some species of Halictid Bee
-Jimmy
Fly Fishing Rick

Bronze Jumper - Female

Goldenrod Crab Spider - Female

Damselflies

Dragonfly
-Jimmy
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Yep, I like it when this thread pops up. Great pics as usual!
Fly Fishing Rick

troutinCO wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 8:25 am
Yep, I like it when this thread pops up. Great pics as usual!
Thank you very much :smiling-cheeks
-Jimmy
Makunochimaster

Casio G-9000 Mudman G-Shock
IMG_20230519_215918_770.jpg
Fly Fishing Rick

When the hunter becomes the hunted.

Tan Jumper - Female
-Jimmy