Spydercard LW Salt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Spydercard LW Salt

Post by Evil D »

I really liked the original but missed the opportunity to buy one. I would love to see a LW FRN version in full Salt flavor so I can store it wherever I need to without concern for corrosion. I'd be ok with any of the 3 Salt steels but of course a SE option is definitely a need. I think blade (or rather edge/belly) variants would be cool too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Re: Spydercard LW Salt

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm with you. that would be a fun piece to add to the collection.

i often wonder how many spyderco designs were just too ahead of their time. some of the older designs that didn't take would do much better today. others might need a little tweak to bring them to today's market, but i think people have far more open minds about crazy looking designs than they used to. just look at some of the stuff that's popular today from we knives to medford to kingdom armory and lots more. lots of weird stuff out there that make a spydercard look normal.

eta:
i just noticed that it's from japan. i have to say, if it's from the same factory that made the ayoob and stretch xl cruwear, i probably won't be interested. i'm not a fan of the way that factory is putting out knives with issues and spyderco is just okay with charging us extra for them. not trying to rehash all of that or derail the thread, but the knives from that factory are cost-prohibitive, even if they had no issues and i'm not taking that gamble anymore.

i would be interested in a spydercard, but i'm apprehensive now when i see people request an old model from japan to be resurrected.
Last edited by ladybug93 on Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I suspect there are a number of current salt models that could fill the exact same role of this knife, they’re just not such an extremely unconventional design.

It’s a very unique model of knife and would be cool to own one but I see it as more of a novelty than a conventional knife that I would want to keep stashed around in certain places.

I imagine a Delica Salt Wharncliffe would outperform a Spydercard ten times out of ten.

Also for what it’s worth, Spydercards are not difficult to come by on the secondary market at reasonable prices.
-Nick :bug-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:44 am
I suspect there are a number of current salt models that could fill the exact same role of this knife, they’re just not such an extremely unconventional design.

It’s a very unique model of knife and would be cool to own one but I see it as more of a novelty than a conventional knife that I would want to keep stashed around in certain places.

I imagine a Delica Salt Wharncliffe would outperform a Spydercard ten times out of ten.

Also for what it’s worth, Spydercards are not difficult to come by on the secondary market at reasonable prices.
you are probably right about the delica wharncliffe. that's on my list as well. it wouldn't fit in a wallet though. does the spydercard?
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:50 am
Mushroom wrote:

you are probably right about the delica wharncliffe. that's on my list as well. it wouldn't fit in a wallet though. does the spydercard?
With the right wallet it would fit inside but I tend to see that as a large part of the knife’s novelty.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the Spydercard design and would love to own one someday (likely will) I just think Spyderco’s resources could be better serve elsewhere, at the moment. :respect :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I dunno, I'd make the argument that Spyderco do quite a few designs that fall short in all out performance, that's not always the only important factor. Recent designs that come to mind are the Dogtag and Pochi. Some models seem geared towards the fun and quirky and I think this idea fits in with that.
~David
brj

Post by brj »

I'd buy this in a hearbeat (as opposed to basically the rest of Spyderco's current line-up).

Any of the Salt steels indeed, **** I'd even be happy with something like 440C (at some point in time I used to regularly carry my bi-fold clipped inside wallet, and getting soaking wet in a quick summer rain did have zero adverse effects).
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:04 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

With the right wallet it would fit inside but I tend to see that as a large part of the knife’s novelty.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the Spydercard design and would love to own one someday (likely will) I just think Spyderco’s resources could be better serve elsewhere, at the moment. :respect :bug-white-red
Where do you suggest they use there resources instead?
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:40 am

eta:
i just noticed that it's from japan. i have to say, if it's from the same factory that made the ayoob and stretch xl cruwear, i probably won't be interested. i'm not a fan of the way that factory is putting out knives with issues and spyderco is just okay with charging us extra for them. not trying to rehash all of that or derail the thread, but the knives from that factory are cost-prohibitive, even if they had no issues and i'm not taking that gamble anymore.

i would be interested in a spydercard, but i'm apprehensive now when i see people request an old model from japan to be resurrected.
I don’t think those two knives are made in the same factory. I remember some pretty detailed posts comparing the two with this in mind. Maybe I’m mistaken?

I don’t really mean to add to any derailment, either, but I haven’t actually seen much that isn’t promising coming from any Japanese Spyderco factory? I think some of the serrated Ayoobs had a slightly weird serration at the tip? Aside from that they seem like excellent knives, especially out of a factory just recovering from facing hardship.
I can’t remember any reported issues with the Stretch XLs?

I’d say you’re not wrong for criticizing issues, though!
Supporting their improvement seems like such a promising endeavor in my eyes, so I just haven’t been turned off.

Maybe I will change my mind about that factory after we get the new Calys, which I think are from that factory (?). I don’t think the Caly lightweights are going to be all that cost prohibitive compared to other Spyderco VG10/FRN backlocks from Japan.

For some perspective, my SE RockJumper’s plain edge tip was a little wonky from the factory, but it didn’t affect performance and was completely dealt with after the first sharpening. My 15V Manix’s factory edge was pretty asymmetrical; My Caribbean’s first serration is wonky in the same way I’ve seen it in pictures from other members; My Siren has some side to side play and is not centered while my Byrd is perfect in that respect.
I could go on.

Every factory has room to improve.
Maybe I’m just really forgiving, because I actually feel the same way about knives with much worse problems from another manufacturer I respect.

I personally have little interest in a Spydercard, regardless, which I guess means my comment isn’t contributing much to this thread at all, sorry.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:45 am
Every factory has room to improve.
my ayoob has the snaggletooth. it's not a huge deal. it still cuts like a laser, but it was an expensive knife for what it was and that's because it was made in that seki factory. there are actually other issues with it that i haven't really mentioned. honestly, i wouldn't have even noticed if i wasn't looking because i'm not really that picky about a lot of these things. i only looked closer because the serration was messed up and because of the price.

the stretch has been plagued by the blade hitting the lanyard tube. i'm sure it will be fine after a few sharpenings, so again, not a huge deal, except that the knife is really expensive. it's even more cost prohibitive than the ayoob was.

i suspect the lum tanto came from that factory as well because it's also very expensive and also had quite a few problems reported.

all of this seems to stem from this other factory in seki that (from what i've read here) is different from the place where the frn knives are made. (i could be wrong about that, but that's the impression i got.) i'm all for helping a struggling business get back on their feet. however, i don't appreciate paying for an expensive knife and when i say there's a problem with it, being fed some story about how spyderco chose to help this business and it's apparently at the end user expense. this was the excuse offered for poor quality control.

my serrations aren't perfect on my caribbean either, and taichung is noted as the best for fit and finish, so you're right about every factory having room for improvement. i honestly don't expect perfection, necessarily, but i expect to get what i pay for, and that isn't a story about helping a japanese business get their feet under them by paying more for a knife that could've been made better and cheaper in another factory. however noble and honorable that endeavor is, if that story was told as part of the process of getting this knife to our hands instead of as an excuse for why these knives have problems, i would've thought it was a much cooler story.

sorry, david. i really would like to see a spydercard available again. it looks like a fun design. and i agree about the other designs that aren't optimized for performance. i really like my squarehead and have actually been considering a dog tag folder as well. i can't get on board with the pochi, but i do like some designs that are functionally fun and i'd consider the spydercard to fit that description.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I think that’s mostly fair.

While I’m not especially interested in a Spydercard, I do appreciate the designs similar to it that David is talking about. I have no qualms with those sorts of things being something that Spyderco continues to do.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:44 am
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:04 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Where do you suggest they use there resources instead?
In something that they haven’t already done before.

I’m of the belief that Spyderco does not need to keep looking backwards in an attempt to move forward.
brj

Post by brj »

https://www.daggerrknives.com/product/cardknife
Country code +7 sounds about right for this sort of rip-off...
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I don't think the design would translate that well to FRN. It would probably be too thick. Would love to see another run as well.

Spydercard / Pacific Salt
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

spoonrobot wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:17 pm
I don't think the design would translate that well to FRN. It would probably be too thick. Would love to see another run as well.

Spydercard / Pacific Salt

That's a good point 🤦‍♂️

Oh well.
~David
cjk

Post by cjk »

sorta relevant:
viewtopic.php?t=89517

I arrived at that link above sorta recalling "wasn't there a byrd version of this?"

Sal mentions that the tooling for the Byrd version was no longer available.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I prefer the FlatByrd design, honestly. Might be tempted by that one.
CLOK

Post by CLOK »

The FlatByrd is cool. I tend to be a sucker for speed holes in unique knives.

I have a Spydercard and while its intended purpose is in the wallet, it does also butt up flat to the backside of your phone and get “lost” in the pocket. With that said, a LW would be cool, even with a little extra width due to the scales. It would still easily not really be felt in pocket.

Tooling not being available, revisiting past designs, and the original designers death are points reasonably working against it though.
James Y

Post by James Y »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:40 am

i often wonder how many spyderco designs were just too ahead of their time. some of the older designs that didn't take would do much better today. others might need a little tweak to bring them to today's market, but i think people have far more open minds about crazy looking designs than they used to. just look at some of the stuff that's popular today from we knives to medford to kingdom armory and lots more. lots of weird stuff out there that make a spydercard look normal.

eta:

I don't know about the Stretch XL Cruwear, but the Ayoob was made by Moki. Most of Spyderco's Seki line, including the Seki Salts, are made by G. Sakai. IIRC, Moki does not make Salt models.

You can tell the difference, because the Moki-made models only have 'Japan' stamped on the blade, whereas G. Sakai models are stamped 'Seki-City Japan'. I don't recall offhand which stamp my Spydercard had.

*Update: I checked some pics online, and the Spydercard just says 'Japan', so it was made by Moki.

Jim
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the ayoob is stamped seki city even though it's made in moki.
current collection:
spyderco steels: