Face lathering

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Face lathering

Post by Doc Dan »

I have face lathered shaving soap time to time over the years. I more often develop lather in a bowl and then build it to perfection on my face, kind of a dual method. However, lately I've been doing exclusively face lathering using Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap, La Toja Shaving Cream Stick, or La Toja Sensitive Cream Tube. (I have other soaps but prefer these).

Face lathering allows me to make a really rich, creamy lather that matches the razor that I am using more precisely. Straight razors often want a lather that is a little wetter, but still with body, for example.

To face lather, all one need do if using La Toja cream tube, is wet the brush very well (I prefer synthetics), give it three medium shakes, then put about a thumbnail sized dollop on the brush tips. I like to spread it out a bit. Then, having wetted the face a little, start working the brush in circles on the cheeks and neck. I often will splay the brush while I do this and watch the lather build quickly. Switch to painting strokes and make it thicker. If more water is needed (not likely) just wet the tips on one small portion of the brush, not the whole thing! Continue to paint. Lather will collect in the brush and maybe on the handle, so you can periodically rake the bristles along the edge of your hand and then pick up the soap with the tips.

Using the stick is the same, except you load from the stick. You aren't trying to build a lather on the stick. You are simply loading soap into the brush. La Toja, like Arko, is soft enough to mash into a container if one doesn't like sticks and then use it like a normal puck soap.

With a puck soap, twirl the tips on the puck and load heavily. I like to splay the bristles and load down into the brush really well, also. Then, proceed as above. It is simple and there is no bowl to mess with.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RustyIron

Re: Face lathering

Post by RustyIron »

That's how I've always done it. Although, a few weeks ago I decided to use the "puck-to-bowl-to-face" method. After a few days I concluded that it's a waste of my time. "Puck-to-face" for me.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I've done it off and on without a bowl. More often I've face lathered after a bit of help from the bowl. However, lately I've been strictly face lathering and getting much better lathers than ever. It is easier to control when working directly on the face, I think. No need for an expensive bowl for me! (I have a stainless bowl, nice and shiny, but not costly)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’ve not needed to even try a bowl (or mug). Did soaps use to create less lather?
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Wet Shaving is returning big time, local biz has build cult following.

They are have event this Saturday, nope to pickup restored Gillette Adjustable that been restored.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I occasionally face lather but prefer the bowl.
All my soaps do well on the face except mitchells.
Never can get the rich thick yogurt texture I like with mitchells except in a bowl.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I am going through my brushes and testing a different one each day to see which ones face lather the best. The shock came when my APSC G5A did not do so well! My cheap Yaqi Cola 22mm did pretty good, but I don't think anything can compare to my RV STF.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

What is it about a brush that makes it better for lathering than another brush. How absorbent the bristles are, stiffness of the bristles, etc ?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

jpm2 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:26 am
What is it about a brush that makes it better for lathering than another brush. How absorbent the bristles are, stiffness of the bristles, etc ?

Silver tipped badger hair is generally accepted as the most desirable material for a shaving brush. It's soft and holds a lot of water between the hairs. The other badger hair also holds water and is a little stiffer. The most common shape is that of a bulb, although fan and flat top are also available. Good badger hair lasts for many, many years.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I predict that in the next 5 years we will be seeing Straight Razors making a huge comeback. With disposable razors and other shaving supplies literally going through the roof I do think the average consumer is going to draw the line and go back to basics.

I've heard that coconut based soaps/lather is thee way to go.
Ric

Post by Ric »

I put shaving cream on my face. Then use the wet brush to make the lather.
Often the second pass is smoother and slicker. More glide. So, I started at the last shave to wash of the lather the first time.

The only disadvantage I see is that the mirror gets more dirty spots.
But on holidays I always face lather. Minimalism is key here.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:52 pm
I predict that in the next 5 years we will be seeing Straight Razors making a huge comeback. With disposable razors and other shaving supplies literally going through the roof I do think the average consumer is going to draw the line and go back to basics.

I've heard that coconut based soaps/lather is thee way to go.
They are already gaining popularity. There are people out there that easily support themselves making straight razors, as well as companies. I do think you are correct in that as prices rise on cartridge/multi edge razors and disposable razors, more people will turn to the straight razor and find they shave better and save money.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

jpm2 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:26 am
That is a good question. I know such a brush needs to be able to hold onto lather and water, but it also needs to be able to release the lather onto the face. A lot of brushes will hold on and not let go. I am not even sure the brush needs to splay. Simpson brushes like the Chubby don't splay and yet people like them for face lathering.

A lot of people like a good backbone and scrub for a face lathering brush. Some like a softer knot. I'm more towards softer, but I still want a bit of backbone.

I've been revisiting my brushes and I am finding that some of them that do well with a bowl, don't do well face lathering. It has been an interesting test. I am using the same soap and trying to keep things as even as possible. One I did find that excels is my custom Rudy Vey that uses a 25mm Muhlë knot (hair). One I was surprised that didn't do well at all was an APShaveCo G5A, which is a great bowl brush.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050