Death that doesn't matter?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Death that doesn't matter?

Post by Doc Dan »

I got to thinking about the deaths of so many so-called stars recently, and then something I wrote in one of my stories came to mind. The character lived a life that was so valueless that his death did not even make a ripple, it was not even a relief, it was just nothing. How do we live our lives? Many movie and rock stars seem to be popular, but when they are gone, it didn't matter much. Some, to be sure, made a difference.

How do we live our lives, I wonder? When we pass, will the world be a poorer place because we gave more than we got? Will we have made an actual difference in people's lives? Will our absence leave a large void? Will we have made the world a better place, a kinder, more loving place? Will we have had great influence, even if it is only on the children of an upcoming generation?

As I get older, I wonder if I have lived in vain, or lived in such a way that the world will be poorer when I am gone.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Re: Death that doesn't matter?

Post by ChrisinHove »

Blimey, Dan…

How many of the countless millions that have gone before us made an impact, or are even remembered, let alone remembered positively?

Nonetheless, I do believe the positive side of humanity, such as it is, is built largely from the accumulation of *all* those small acts of doing right, of kindness, and to which we can all contribute.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Most people aren't remembered long after their deaths. However, I believe our lives can make a difference so that our absence is felt and our contributions to others, even just to those around us, are profound.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

Do we want the world to be a poorer place without us, or do we want at least a small part of it to have been better, because we contributed something positive while we were here? There is a big difference between those two motivations.

Who's to say that some nondescript janitor somewhere, without any close family and who dies alone, didn't contribute as much *or far more* positivity to others during the course of his lifetime, in his own way, than some multi-millionaire or billionaire, or politician, who heartlessly lied, took advantage of, and screwed people over his entire life, yet is lauded by millions across the country and around the world after his death?

A movie star or a music legend is no more important than a plumber, a truck driver, etc., and I would say in practical everyday life, far less so.

Positivity doesn't need to be some earth-changing contribution that everyone knows about. Who knows if the smile of acknowledgement that you gave some stranger that you passed by on the street didn't brighten his or her entire day, and possibly give them some hope in life. Maybe, maybe not. We'll never know. Sometimes, little acts of kindness like that do more than we realize.

If we want to contribute to the world so people will mourn us and feel the world is worse off without us at our passing, we're doing it for the wrong reason. The vast majority of people are forgotten within a year of their passing, by all but their immediate family members, if they have any. Meanwhile, life goes on.

If we want to leave a positive mark on this world, then we can contribute in our own ways, whatever we can. It doesn't have to be money. The part of the world most of us will affect is infinitesimally small in the grand scheme of things, but our effect on it, positive or negative, has the potential to be greater than we realize.

Jim
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Focus on Life, do not let death bum you out. I am able to say I am still active, because I push my self.

In WW-ll friend was part of 551st., P.I.R. G O Y A was battle cry, =‘s Get Off Your A**.

Good moto, don’t be couch potato’s.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Expired : TMI
So it goes.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Thanatopsis - Selections from
William Cullen Bryant

. . .So shalt thou rest, and what if thou withdraw
In silence from the living, and no friend
Take note of thy departure? All who breathe
Will share thy destiny. The gay will laugh
When thou art gone, the solemn brood of care
Plod on, and each one as before will chase
His favorite phantom; yet all these shall leave
Their mirth and their employments, and shall come
And make their bed with thee. As the long train
Of ages glides away, the sons of men,
The youth in life's green spring, and he who goes
In the full strength of years, matron and maid,
The speechless babe, and the gray-headed man
Shall one by one be gathered to thy side,
By those who in their turn shall follow them.
So live, that when thy summons comes to join
The innumerable caravan which moves
To that mysterious realm, where each shall take
His chamber in the silent halls of death,
Thou go not, like a quarry slave at night,
Scourged to his dungeon, but, sustained and soothed
By an unfaltering trust, approach thy grave
Like one who wraps the drapery of his couch
About him, and lies down to pleasant dreams.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

“If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite."
― William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and ****

“What we do now echoes in eternity.”
— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I try not to get too shook, but nobody will remember me beyond the people who are related to me, know me or have worked with me. What would be the point?

I have no children. But did not bring children into the world at a time when I could not take care of them.

Did not create a martial art or teach anyone what I thought might work out of the arts I've learned. But, I know that I can defend myself.

I do not have a huge business operation to leave behind. But, I did try my hand at 2 businesses and worked in Silicon Valley for a short time in tech support.

My only patent application was denied, but at least I applied for one.

Some measure of success is different than being remembered for ages beyond your lifespan and few attain that type of recognition.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I was ripped off many times by employers. When I was ripped off for $35,000 by PPD in Silicon Valley in 2002 and then told by the FBI that I did not have a Rill of Rights and was to never post the fact that they ripped me off for $35,000, I decided that I would find a way to retire immediately and spend time doing whatever it was that I enjoyed. No more FREE slave labor. I pretty much retired at 57 in 2017. Thinking about writing a book or two.

I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

You just never know. Ötzi probably pondered over this very same question as he bled to death in his cave, only to 5000 years later become one of the most famous and important humans to ever have lived.

Or you can be an important or impactful person of your time, only to be cancelled after your death.

One thing is sure though, those I leave behind, who gets to clean out my sock drawers will indeed remember me. At least for a while, though maybe not in the most positive connotation ;)
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

The thing I strive for the most is to be remembered as a good father by my children, and a faithful spouse by my wife.

Never gave much thought to legacies. I just try my best to treat everyone I meet fairly and courteously.

Makes me wonder... could one consider leaving shiny footprints as the "Golden" rule :)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

mikey177 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:33 am
The thing I strive for the most is to be remembered as a good father by my children, and a faithful spouse by my wife.

Never gave much thought to legacies. I just try my best to treat everyone I meet fairly and courteously.

Makes me wonder... could one consider leaving shiny footprints as the "Golden" rule :)
Good on you.

If we can't leave something good in those we leave behind, then what did we matter? We need not be a great king, prime minister, president, heart surgeon, or whatever. When I pass on, I hope my wife's life will have been blessed by mine. I hope the kids I became Big Brother to will benefit from having known me. I hope adults whose lives I've helped, lives I've touched, for whom I've prayed, will be blessed because I lived.

I don't want tears when die from anyone. I want thanksgiving to God that I lived.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

Death to me would be a blessing. Let's just say my upbringing, multiple upbringings, adoption home, mental illness, judgement, religious garbage, and abuse on a daily basis soured my outlook on living.
Don't get me wrong. I enjoy life.
But being pragmatic and realistic. I also realize I wish I could revert back to childhood and chose different parents and friends. I would have been a better person instead of an angry misfit.
I would not wish my childhood on my worst enemy or even someone like Charles Manson. Bad upbringing is the cause for.future war and crimes.
I am fortunate I am a pretty moral person who knows right from wrong.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Everything matters, not everything sells.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

We have a choice of what of us we leave behind.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:31 pm
I got to thinking about the deaths of so many so-called stars recently, and then something I wrote in one of my stories came to mind. The character lived a life that was so valueless that his death did not even make a ripple, it was not even a relief, it was just nothing. How do we live our lives? Many movie and rock stars seem to be popular, but when they are gone, it didn't matter much. Some, to be sure, made a difference.

How do we live our lives, I wonder? When we pass, will the world be a poorer place because we gave more than we got? Will we have made an actual difference in people's lives? Will our absence leave a large void? Will we have made the world a better place, a kinder, more loving place? Will we have had great influence, even if it is only on the children of an upcoming generation?

As I get older, I wonder if I have lived in vain, or lived in such a way that the world will be poorer when I am gone.
I do not know you but based on your signature, I'd say that you are on the narrow path. Accepting Jesus as Lord and savior, being baptized by water and the spirit, and passing this on to your family, friends, and strangers is all you can do. 😇
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Doc Dan wrote:
The character lived a life that was so valueless that his death did not even make a ripple, it was not even a relief, it was just nothing. How do we live our lives? Many movie and rock stars seem to be popular, but when they are gone, it didn't matter much. Some, to be sure, made a difference.
I didn't read all of the responses yet, but I just want to say that if you haven't read Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison, you would probably enjoy it. It's one of my all-time favorite novels.
--Jeremy
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

:worried
mongo1958 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:34 am
Doc Dan wrote:

I do not know you but based on your signature, I'd say that you are on the narrow path. Accepting Jesus as Lord and savior, being baptized by water and the spirit, and passing this on to your family, friends, and strangers is all you can do. 😇
Yep. Rom. 3.25

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

kerrcobra wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:38 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
The character lived a life that was so valueless that his death did not even make a ripple, it was not even a relief, it was just nothing. How do we live our lives? Many movie and rock stars seem to be popular, but when they are gone, it didn't matter much. Some, to be sure, made a difference.
I didn't read all of the responses yet, but I just want to say that if you haven't read Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison, you would probably enjoy it. It's one of my all-time favorite novels.
I'll take a look. In my own books I try to tell the stories of people who make a difference, somehow.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050