Question for Sal and Eric

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Question for Sal and Eric

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I was just curious why Tanto offerings are limited and rarely done as of late. Are Tanto designs bad sellers or waning in popularity? Are they harder and more expensive to produce? Just wondering.
jmj3esq

Re: Question for Sal and Eric

Post by jmj3esq »

I don't know either. Have you tried to pick up a Para 2 in a Tanto blade on ebay? Get ready to spend $300+ I personally think the PM2 Tanto in M4 is simply badass. It looks tuff and undoubtedly is tuff. I gotta get one.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I guess I'm curious too because I want a production tanto Salt fixed blade and tanto Salt folder. They can be totally new designs or blade shape variations.
I think tanto Pacific Salts and Enuff 2 Salts would be my votes for the latter route.
I also always felt that it would just make sense for there to be a Seki backlock tanto, wether it be in a traditional Japanese or more Western Style.
I have a general appreciation for blade shape variation and the ways that affects use/style, though. That's probably why I'm so prone to be supportive of things like tantos and recurves. There are just as many subtle possibilities, and proper functionality (even if in different ways) in those as there are with leaf blades or clip points.
I suspect it is because Spyderco does a lot, but can't do everything all of the time. I was glad to see the tanto PM2s and their popularity is probably good news. There may be things in the works already and it's just a matter of time. I'm sure Spyderco is busy.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

The last tanto Spyderco made was a Lum Tanto in Bohler M390 and OD green g10.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... fe--175492

It was a pass for me do to a few different reasons but I do want a tanto to help round out my Spyderco collection.

I’m really hoping we see another sprint run of the Lum Tanto fixed blade that would be irresistible; especially in
CPM SPY27 or Magnacut and micarta.

( here is one for those with deep pockets https://www.knivesplus.com/spyderco-lum ... k-g10.html )

Or maybe even Spyderco‘s version of a Wakizashi. That might be interesting.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Serious question: What do y'all use your tantos for that a leaf, wharnie, sheepsfoot, or clip-point wouldn't do better?
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Coastal wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:59 pm
Serious question: What do y'all use your tantos for that a leaf, wharnie, sheepsfoot, or clip-point wouldn't do better?
I will be glad to attempt to answer that.
1. Tanto tips are strong and harder to damage in case of dropping off a ladder.
2. Overlooked for drilling a small divot in wood if you want to make a primitive bow drill.
3. There are tons of sheepsfoot, wharnies, reverse tantos, clip point, spear point, Etc on the market. Yet far less tantos.
4. Why lie. Tantos look cool.
5. Because I and others like tanto and want a few in our meager collection.
6. More solid penetration with far less chance of busting off the tip.
7. May survive some accidental prying.
A proper A tanto tip knife is just as functional as any other style. Notice I did not mention the Cold Steel Americanized tanto as I find those way too short.
I presently carry a Nemesis MPR 3T tanto on some days. Just would prefer a Spyderco version since they are rarely released and harder to find.
Last edited by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives on Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

jmj3esq wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:28 pm
I don't know either. Have you tried to pick up a Para 2 in a Tanto blade on ebay? Get ready to spend $300+ I personally think the PM2 Tanto in M4 is simply badass. It looks tuff and undoubtedly is tuff. I gotta get one.
I have. And Ebay sellers asking too much. Much prefer Knife Center or SMKW. Better prices and guaranteed to be genuine.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Tantos are not a very practical slicing knife design. The design was made for stabbing for combat knives.

Maybe kinda like why we dont have "bowie" blade shaped spyderco versions
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

WyoJon wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:09 pm
Tantos are not a very practical slicing knife design. The design was made for stabbing for combat knives.

Maybe kinda like why we dont have "bowie" blade shaped spyderco versions
My tanto slices well. Some people just don't know how to sharpen. And blame the knife instead. I bet if I sharpen a tanto and I squeeze on the blade. I will probably need stitches. Tantos are capable of both slicing and stabbing.
Ninjas and Samurai of old did not seem to have issue with either.
On second thought. I got 5 stitches in my right front shin when I accidentally over cut a bag of mulch and chunked out my shin to the bone. Thanks to a tanto. And my own stupidity.
I don't know what self professed "expert" :rofl on YouTube started the rumour that Tantos can't slice. Maybe I should try to explain that to Rockstead. But I trust over 600 years of Japanese knife development from 1570 AD over some hotshot wannabe YouTube or blade forum knife "expert" :rofl
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I don't see why a Tanto has any disadvantage in slicing vs. any other blade profile, it just so happens that the edge geometry of any Tanto I have ever tried wasn't very good, but that would have been a problem if it was a drop point too. I carried a Tanto for about four years and found that drop points tend to have more utility for my use, primarily because I find it much easier to slide my edge across what I am trying to cut without the sudden change in edge angle. In the end though it cut things for me for four years, and it looked cool doing it! ;) I think a Tanto with proper geometry and a well thought out profile could be a good shape for typical things I cut most, but not the most versatile. The thing I like most about Tantos is that they are pretty easy to sharpen. Honestly though, I try to avoid Tantos at this point because drop points and leaf blades do just work better for me.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Scandi Grind wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:04 pm
I don't see why a Tanto has any disadvantage in slicing vs. any other blade profile, it just so happens that the edge geometry of any Tanto I have ever tried wasn't very good, but that would have been a problem if it was a drop point too. I carried a Tanto for about four years and found that drop points tend to have more utility for my use, primarily because I find it much easier to slide my edge across what I am trying to cut without the sudden change in edge angle. In the end though it cut things for me for four years, and it looked cool doing it! ;) I think a Tanto with proper geometry and a well thought out profile could be a good shape for typical things I cut most, but not the most versatile. The thing I like most about Tantos is that they are pretty easy to sharpen. Honestly though, I try to avoid Tantos at this point because drop points and leaf blades do just work better for me.
I do get that. I just want a Spyderco version to scratch my itch and be more affordable from a retailer rather than go on EBay and dropping $300 to $500 on a $170 knife.
I just looked at some different agents on Amazon and seen some had a steep belly, A few had a partial belly. And some had no belly.
And tip styles vary between 3 or 4 different tanto styles.I always liked the Spyderco tanto style of the Mum and military model.
My 2 best spiders are my Mora Companion HD and of all knives. My Svord Peasant.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i hate to be that guy (not really) but if you want a tanto folder, you can't beat the cold steel voyager tanto xl. 5.5" american tanto held steady by a triad lock... it's amazing. it's over $200 cheaper than the silly bhq lum tanto linked here and easily twice the knife.

i think sometimes we want spyderco to be something they're not. and, from what i've seen of their tanto attempts, tantos just don't seem to be what spyderco is about.

that's not meant to be a negative on spyderco in the least. they do what they do really well and they're my favorite manufacturer for it. i just got my tanto blade fix elsewhere.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Danke

Post by Danke »

Take that tanto money; fold it in two and put it in your pocket.

Then when you see the next sprint or exclusive with that blade shape you'll have cash in hand.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I think Tanto blades are just not very desirable in general to most people
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I find tanto blades to be excellent for almost everything I do, but especially working with hardwood trees. My PM2 tanto is a delight to whittle, slice and brutalise whatever I’m cutting…It’s just my Magnacut mule is better, and believe me I never thought I’d say that.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I think Tantos are an extremely underexplored tribe of blade shapes that have an interesting variety of possible cutting characteristics.

For my part, Americanized Tantos make a lot of sense with what I use knives for around the shore, here in Florida. At least, they present a viable case.

When I reach out with an extended arm, the forward facing edge can simply be pushed onto a surface to cut a line. They do this with less of a leverage compromise in other cuts using plain edge blades with a big belly because of the tanto’s relatively straight primary edge that can act like a wharncliffe. It is also more secure and optimized for that kind of cut because you are not required to hold your knife or wrist in awkward positions to engage the edge. Simply because of this, it is now a viable type of cut to use and means you’ve got a more flexible/versatile repertoire. Basically, it makes your life easier if you like to cut abandoned line out of mangrove trees from unstable positions.

Straight, recurved, or serrated edges are all advantages for pull cutting which happens to be my primary action (or some combination).
Non-Tanto blades certainly do work, but there are times where a tanto is convenient. For me, that convenience comes with little or no compromise.

Additionally, the tip’s geometry is better suited for light abuse. For example, digging up something in sand or mud around/between rocks (something I actually do often when I forget to bring another tool with me or was not expecting to need one).

While I understand this is quite specific, it is just one use case for one variation of Tanto.

It also happens to mean I’d prefer said Tanto to be a Salt. That right there can not be offered by any Tantos currently available.

A Tanto Pacific Salt would rock.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Josh,

In the early days, we couldn't get much play with the "Americanized" Tanto. Our customers were just not interested in that blade style.

Across the years, the customer base for Spyderco knives grew and it was the newer customers that had interest in the Tanto tips. That's why we made some. If the demand continues, we'll probably make more. I don't know about a Salt version? I'll watch the thread.

sal

FYI, a True Tanto does not have an "Americanized" Tanto tip. On a Tanto, the edge starts as the tip and is a normal edge. The Tanto is used for Seppuku or Hara-Kiri. The larger blades, Katana & Wakizashi blades sported the armor piercing tip. It was Bob Lum that created the "Americanized" Tanto on his custom knives. Lynn Thompson bought one of his Americanized Tanto's, actually, he traded a Casull Revolver for the knife and then went into production on the concept.

sal
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

sal wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:13 am
Hi Josh,

In the early days, we couldn't get much play with the "Americanized" Tanto. Our customers were just not interested in that blade style.

Across the years, the customer base for Spyderco knives grew and it was the newer customers that had interest in the Tanto tips. That's why we made some. If the demand continues, we'll probably make more. I don't know about a Salt version? I'll watch the thread.

sal

FYI, a True Tanto does not have an "Americanized" Tanto tip. On a Tanto, the edge starts as the tip and is a normal edge. The Tanto is used for Seppuku or Hara-Kiri. The larger blades, Katana & Wakizashi blades sported the armor piercing tip. It was Bob Lum that created the "Americanized" Tanto on his custom knives. Lynn Thompson bought one of his Americanized Tanto's, actually, he traded a Casull Revolver for the knife and then went into production on the concept.

sal
I would buy literally any salt tanto you might choose to make. The only issue I have with my S30V tanto PM2 is that using it for work in the tropics requires almost constant corrosion mitigation. The forward section of the blade is excellent for using as a sort of chisel for removing vines, rope or line that has gotten twisted around a chainsaw’s drive sprocket. I imagine it would be excellent for the same task on a boat’s outboard too.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

There is always this! The finger ring could always be moved to the top side of the handle like the Swick.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I have personally never been a fan, they look neat but that is where it ends for me. They are made for piercing, I rather have more useable edge on the blade.

Not saying there is not room for some there are use cases and some people just like them for what ever reason.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.