Mule Team XL?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Mule Team XL?

Post by Wartstein »

Speaking of detouring threads:

One thing that absolutely has to be discussed here:
Is the comp -cookie really safer to eat than the good, old liner-cookie or is this just a myth?? :smirk
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:32 am
JoviAl wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:35 pm
So what steel do you guys think would best suit a 6inch turbo mule/cookie cutter? I’m inclined (at risk of sounding boring) to lean towards either Magnacut (I live in the tropics where even rust gets rust on it) or something as tough as old boots like AEB-L?

Thoughts?

I realize it's gauche to talk about knife steels in the middle of a cookie thread, but yeah, I think the tough steels would be ideal in a larger mule: Magna, AEB-L, 3V, 4V, CD1, 14C28N...those would get my votes.
Great use of the word ‘gauche’ - highly underrated.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:08 am

Is the comp -cookie really safer to eat than the good, old liner-cookie or is this just a myth?? :smirk
Yes, the comp-cookie offers a safer way of being eaten than the liner-cookie.

The comp-cookie allows the eater the place the cookie in their mouth without putting their fingers under their teeth, where as the liner-cookie requires the eater to put their fingers under their teeth before they can let go of the cookie. It’s just an intrinsic characteristic baked into to liner-cookies that eaters are unable avoid regardless of how they try to eat the cookie.

:rofl
-Nick :bug-red
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I need to try a Mule out someday.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

JoviAl wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:12 am
Bolster wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:32 am
JoviAl wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:35 pm
So what steel do you guys think would best suit a 6inch turbo mule/cookie cutter? I’m inclined (at risk of sounding boring) to lean towards either Magnacut (I live in the tropics where even rust gets rust on it) or something as tough as old boots like AEB-L?

Thoughts?

I realize it's gauche to talk about knife steels in the middle of a cookie thread, but yeah, I think the tough steels would be ideal in a larger mule: Magna, AEB-L, 3V, 4V, CD1, 14C28N...those would get my votes.
Great use of the word ‘gauche’ - highly underrated.
(Clutches pearls) heathens and libertines! Chocolate chip is S30V, Oatmeal Raisin is LC200N, snickerdoodle is S90V, Maxamet is white chocolate macadamia.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:58 am
Wartstein wrote:

The comp-cookie allows the eater the place the cookie in their mouth without putting their fingers under their teeth, where as the liner-cookie requires the eater to put their fingers under their teeth before they can let go of the cookie. It’s just an intrinsic characteristic baked into to liner-cookies that eaters are unable avoid regardless of how they try to eat the cookie.

Man, all these years I’ve been biting my fingers! It all becomes clear now 🤦🏼‍♂️ I must have been eating cookies with an inferior locking mechanism without realising. Thanks for bringing this to my attention - I’m going to save a fortune in plasters (I believe they’re referred to as ‘band aids’ in the parlance of The Free, although this might just be a thinly veiled trick from my buddy in Louisiana at my expense).
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

(Clutches pearls) heathens and libertines! Chocolate chip is S30V, Oatmeal Raisin is LC200N, snickerdoodle is S90V, Maxamet is white chocolate macadamia.
I don’t know what is funnier - your reference list of cookie-steels or that a Fireman would be clutching pearls and wailing “heathens and libertines!” 😂

I don’t know about the rest of you guys and gals, but my cookie cravings and intake has gone up about 700% since this thread derailed. Had a glorious oatmeal raisin from Subway on the sly yesterday while my little lad was knocking back a sandwich for lunch.
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

JoshLikesSekiCityKnives wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:18 am
I need to try a Mule out someday.
If that is what you’ve come away with from reading this thread then I applaud your ability to extract information from a smorgasbord of nonsense 👍🏻 You likely have a promising career as a data analyst at any of the world’s top intelligence agencies should you choose to pursue it.

In seriousness though (and at risk of making a terrible pun) the Mules are the dark horses of Spyderco’s line up in my opinion. I literally carry mine every day for work now, it’s just that good - excellent sharpened blade length (same as my manix 2 xl), great handle, easy to clean and tough. Plus a reasonable price for a work tool.
- Al

Dream knives -
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Yeah, the Mules live up to their name.
The Spy27 Straight Spine Mule Team 2 is proving to be a favorite. I can't wait for the SpyderEdge.
Spyderco's fixed blades rule!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:58 am
Wartstein wrote:

I strongly disagree and am demanding that the next 3297 posts get reserved for me and getting my point across to you, everyone else who is definitely not interested and their grandmothers!

Yes, the liner-cookie technically puts your fingers in the path of the teeth, but that is only relevant for cookies without chocolate-stoppers baked into them!! A good Spyderco chocolate stopper will inevitably halt your teeth long before they could ever hit your fingers, and so the liner cookie actually even has a safety advantage over the comp. cookie!

I am sure that no one, who can actually see, think and try for themselves could come to any different conclusion! ',:-| ... :winking-tongue :') :')
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The only known way to eat a liner-cookie - Fingers beware!

JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:32 am
The only known way to eat a liner-cookie - Fingers beware!

The horror! 🫣
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Do the people who avoid liner locks for fear of getting injured simply implode at the thought of a slip joint? 🤔
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I don’t love liner locks, but I own a few and they’re alright - they just don’t float my boat as much as a comp lock or CBBL. The Quiet Carry Drift is a lovely knife for example.
Last edited by JoviAl on Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Al

Dream knives -
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JoviAl wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:44 am
I don’t love liner locks, but I own a few and they’re alright - they’re just don’t float my boat as much as a comp lock or CBBL. The Quiet Carry Drift is a lovely knife for example.

:') :') I think if THIS thread (not even about a FOLDING knife!) too would turn into a serious "comp. vs linerlock" discussion, we´d have some serious rampages going on here :zany

(@JoviAl, nothing at all against you, you might not be aware of the pre-history of this lock-thing... but believe me, it is better to NOT seriously discuss it here ... and actually this thread is now exclusively about COOKIES anyway ;) )
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:25 am
JoviAl wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:44 am
I don’t love liner locks, but I own a few and they’re alright - they’re just don’t float my boat as much as a comp lock or CBBL. The Quiet Carry Drift is a lovely knife for example.

:') :') I think if THIS thread (not even about a FOLDING knife!) too would turn into a serious "comp. vs linerlock" discussion, we´d have some serious rampages going on here :zany

(@JoviAl, nothing at all against you, you might not be aware of the pre-history of this lock-thing... but believe me, it is better to NOT seriously discuss it here ... and actually this thread is now exclusively about COOKIES anyway ;) )
I think the fracas about the lock types must have been before my time - I’ve been using Spyderco knives for years, but only fairly recently did a collector friend of mine point out that this forum was a thing. I’m glad he did - you guys are a great bunch.

Regarding the cookies, I am entirely amenable to hearing people’s cookie recipes as being British (and from Yorkshire - the ancestral home of rabid tea consumption) I do enjoy more than my fair share of circular snacks with hot beverages. Unfortunately we don’t have a long and storied history of cookies in the UK, so if anyone would like to share how to make their favourites I genuinely would love to try them. Maybe DM me or something so actual useful recipes don’t inadvertently dilute the humour.

I can’t help but think the cookie frenzy in this thread would make a great naming convention for a giant sized mule-like knife. Maybe that’s just my British irreverence coming through though - we love an in joke or a bit of bleak humour.
- Al

Dream knives -
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

JoviAl, you are a great sport my friend.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:17 am
JoviAl, you are a great sport my friend.

Is that an actual image of JoviAl, ^ above? The exploding cookie background says "yes," but it's not the attire I was expecting of a Singaporian.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JoviAl wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:02 am
I think the fracas about the lock types must have been before my time
it is a constant, and people on every side will stop at nothing to tell you why their lock of choice is superior and why you are wrong. repeatedly. many threads devolve into lock debates that can go on for pages. it is far less entertaining than cookies and '80s toys which bring joy in their derailing.

this is a magnificent combo. i'd love an even longer blade on the mule.

these are the best sugar cookies i've ever had. you know they're delicious because the recipe is all tattered and stained. 😂
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

How dare someone derail this thread about cookies by making a joke about locks!

Thank you for getting it back on track. There’s no telling what could’ve happened!