Chinook Confusion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: Chinook Confusion

Post by JRinFL »

Murindo wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:25 am
This is a pic of Jim Keating's custom Chinook that came before the Chinook 1
Nice picture. You can really see how the Chinook 1 came about from Keating's custom.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

So this little bit of engagement is what makes the Powerlock so strong? Wow.
Attachments
E862B4C3-3929-4463-B385-8F661ECA1F01.jpeg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Murindo wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:25 am
This is a pic of Jim Keating's custom Chinook that came before the Chinook 1
I hope this isn’t the “Ferrari” he was referring to designing! If so, it was a Pontiac Fiero Ferrari! I’d say he designed the F150 and Spyderco refined it into a Ferrari!
Bolster wrote: So this little bit of engagement is what makes the Powerlock so strong? Wow.
The amount of metal that would need to deform for that to fail seems like a lot to me. Compared to the lock engagement of some backlocks, this doesn’t seem too unreasonable to me.
-Nick :bug-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:00 pm
So this little bit of engagement is what makes the Powerlock so strong? Wow.
I believe there is more engagement on a fully assembled knife. I should have been more careful in my pictures.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:08 pm
Bolster wrote: So this little bit of engagement is what makes the Powerlock so strong? Wow.
The amount of metal that would need to deform for that to fail seems like a lot to me. Compared to the lock engagement of some backlocks, this doesn’t seem too unreasonable to me.

Deformation would be hugely unlikely, but the curved "uvula" of engagement is interesting and unexpected (by me). Obviously it works. The location of the "uvula" against the blade would certainly need to be precise. I can see in the photo that the "uvula" could swing a bit more to the right, and perhaps that's what an assembled lockup does. It strikes me as a lock that requires quite a bit of precision, just the same (tho many locks do, but with fewer moving parts).
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:42 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:08 pm

Deformation would be hugely unlikely, but the curved "uvula" of engagement is interesting and unexpected (by me). Obviously it works. The location of the "uvula" against the blade would certainly need to be precise. I can see in the photo that the "uvula" could swing a bit more to the right, and perhaps that's what an assembled lockup does.
Yeah it’s worth keeping in mind, as JR noted, that photo does not accurately show full lock engagement.

Are there any locks that don’t require precision to make? :thinking
-Nick :bug-red
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

viewtopic.php?t=87893

This is a good thread with photos about the power lock.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Unsettling to me is the idea that Ken Onion’s “custom” (photo above) might be the Ferrari that Keating wanted Spyderco to make.

I now have the “Ford F150” Chinook, Chinook2, and Chinook4. I like them all but favor the 2, perhaps because it just arrived.

Compared to them, the “custom” is an eyesore to me. Moreover, I can’t see how it could perform the MJ-described cuts at all better than any of the three Chinooks I have.

I trust MJ has accurately caught Keating’s favorable reaction to the Chinook4. And I hope (and trust) the Chinook5 will refine the 4, not the “custom”.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”