New Spyderco Series Idea

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gdwtvb

New Spyderco Series Idea

Post by gdwtvb »

I know that the idea of a Spyderco custom shop gets brought up regularly, and this isn't another of those posts.

Because I'm older, and have been buying and using knives for more than forty years, I have narrowed down my tastes, especially handle materials. Titanium, natural materials, and G10 are my favorites, in that order. I have had, and indeed still have FRN knives, but they aren't my favorite material. It is sometimes frustrating to want to try out a different steel and they are only available in FRN, magnacut being the most recent one. I'd rather have a magnacut with titanium scales, or at least G10. I don't buy many knives anymore. I don't modify my knives, so buying 2 knives just to do a blade swap or ordering aftermarket scales isn't appealing...and on many knives, trading a lightweight blade into a regular model might not even work. As much as I'd love to try Maxamet, I know it will sit in my tray while I'll continue to grab the G10 Native or Manix. But even those get left behind often while I carry my titanium stealth Chaparral more than any other knife.

Spydeco has several series: The premium handle series, Chaparral. The lock series, Sage. The Mules for different blade steels. What about a Premium Blade material series, but done on an upscale model? (This might be what spyderco is considering with the Sage 1 now with Maxamet.) Kinda like a folding mule, but premium? I know that some models already sorta do this, but not all blade materials are available in the G10. As an example, I'd love an opportunity to collect a set of Lil Natives backlocks with titanium scales in S100V, Magnacut, S30V, Maxamet, M4, cruwear, 15V, and M390 at say one a year without having to try to grab a sprint run. Maybe it could be interactive, a poll at the begining of the year for the next years steel choice in the premium steel series.

Just an idea as I once again consider putting in another preorder for the Native 5 in Magnacut that I've already done and cancelled.

Grizz
JRinFL

Re: New Spyderco Series Idea

Post by JRinFL »

We have similar tastes in scale materials and I like the idea of a premium steel model with a revolving steel menu. Chasing low volume sprints is no fun and only feeds the flipper markets.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It would be pretty cool if all the sprints and exclusives were done in set series of popular models. It seems like some combos are a no brainer like the CruCarta combo, I don't see how most of the Golden lineup wouldn't be a success if they did them all.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Definitely interested in this idea. I think you are on to something. I would even like more sprint runs across the entire Golden Lineup. Even if they could squeeze one in once a year (Maybe an extremely large ask). Similar to past runs like Rex45 with Burnt Orange, S90V with Carbon Fiber, and the upcoming 4V with Titanium. :grimace
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wonder if ideas like this are already being talked about in board room meetings but they just can't make it happen because of factory capacity?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I'm sure it is factory capacity issue at every turn. Hopefully they can push through any upcoming challenges with the opening of the expansion because there seems to be a bunch of pent-up demand.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I think they already have this kind of series, it’s called the “Paramilitary 2.”
-Nick :bug-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I think Grizz meant more of one batch per year release, not “1200 and done” super limited releases like is the case with current sprints. So Model X would be available in 15v for all of 2024, then in s125v in 2025, then bog iron for 2026, etc., etc. I would expect re-runs would also be allowed. Grizz will correct me if I’m wrong.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

JRinFL wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:29 pm
I think Grizz meant more of one batch per year release, not “1200 and done” super limited releases like is the case with current sprints. So Model X would be available in 15v for all of 2024, then in s125v in 2025, then bog iron for 2026, etc., etc. I would expect re-runs would also be allowed. Grizz will correct me if I’m wrong.
Exactly! I don't have the motivation or temperment to chase sprints. Plus, I am not a impulse shopper, by the time I think I want a sprint, they are gone. (15V Manix is the most recent.)

Grizz
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

Though I have nothing against FRN (one of my fav Spydies is the LW Police 4 in K390) I'd also love a more upmarket model done in regular production with exotic steels. Especially as I love longer blades and with the Military 2 coming I see a wonderful opportunity there :D