Invitation to the 16th Spyderco Meet in Amsterdam

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Invitation to the 16th Spyderco Meet in Amsterdam

Post by Mr Blonde »

WE ARE FULLY BOOKED INCLUDING RESERVES - REGISTRATION IS CLOSED

The loss of Jurphaas is still felt by many. He was also instrumental in establishing and organizing the Spyderco Amsterdam Meet for 15 years. Spyderco would like to commemorate Jur and invite all Spyderco and other knife enthusiasts to Amsterdam for the 16th Spyderco meet.

For 2023 we will host 60 guests. With great pleasure, Eric Glesser invites you to register by e-mail for a seat at the 2023 Spyderco meet.

The registration procedure is not a lottery. Registration will be in order of the receipt of your email registration (date & time of your email). To ensure the honesty and integrity of this procedure, you can only register for yourself. It is not possible to register for family and friends! All registrants will receive a reply (often in 24 hours). We expect more applications than we have seats available. After all seats are reserved, we will not be responding to e-mails unless you have secured a seat, and pre-registrations will not be accepted. We will keep a “reserves” list of 6. This list will show the names for the numbers 61-66 on the registration list. When any of the registered seats are returned, the next in line on the “reserves” list will receive this returned seat.

The 2023 Spyderco meet will again take place at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam West on Sunday, February 26, 2023. Eric Glesser will bring prototypes and concept models to evaluate and discuss with you. This invitation is open to members of the Spyderco forums, as well as other cutlery enthusiast willing to join Spyderco at this exclusive event.

Please note, that due to the nature of this exclusive event we do not allow selling, trading, and swapping of articles of any kind during the event. Photography and/or video of any kind is also not allowed. And there will be no access for uninvited visitors.

• Location: Mercure Hotel Amsterdam West, Oude Haagseweg 20, 1066 BW Amsterdam.
  • Date & Time: Sunday February 26, 2023, from 10:00 until 15:00 hrs, with a happy hour until 16.00 hrs.
  • Parking: At the hotel parking lot. (Paid parking – not covered by Spyderco).
  • How to get there: The Mercure Hotel Amsterdam West is accessible by car of public transport. Please see the hotel website for more information.
  • Registration: Seating is limited and registration is mandatory. You can only register for yourself and not for family members or friends. Please register by sending an e-mail (including your name and e-mail address) to:
    *********@*****.***

For foreign guests thinking of joining the event, the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam West hotel offers a discount on a limited number of available hotel rooms. Check this with the reception desk at: +31 - 20 512 6767, under the reference: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2023.

We hope to welcome you in Amsterdam on February 26!

The Spyderco Crew
Last edited by Mr Blonde on Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Nemo3000

Re: Invitation to the 16th Spyderco Meet in Amsterdam

Post by Nemo3000 »

Replied and email sent.

I'm in !

Happy new year ! :-)

This is great to do it in Jur's honor.
Last edited by Nemo3000 on Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Registration sent :) Thx Wouter!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Glad to see the Amsterdam Spyderco meet is back! It is always one of the most exciting times of the year.

This is a bucket list event for Spyderco enthusiasts. One of these years I am going to attend this event! :bug-white-red
-Nick :bug-red
G_shark

Post by G_shark »

Great news!
Tommie85

Post by Tommie85 »

Mail sent! It will be strange without Jur :worried
Last edited by Tommie85 on Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

This is so great! Mail sent, approved at #10 :)
See you there!
Last edited by Larry_Mott on Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
northmanscall

Post by northmanscall »

Great news. Thank you. Email sent.
:bug-red Stefan :bug-red
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Arf, won't be able to make it. Glad to see something built by good people lives on !
Maybe the 17th will be the one for me ? I'll clear my schedule if it's always around the same period ;)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
dirk de wit

Post by dirk de wit »

I'm in 👍!
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

I'm in :) Thx Wouter! Confirmation received!
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

Just out of curiosity... Why Amsterdam? They aren't exactly known for being knife-friendly.
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:14 pm
Please note, ... and swapping of articles of any kind during the event. Photography and/or video of any kind is also not allowed.
lol... who makes these utterly pointless, arbitrary rules? No photography? No swapping of "articles of any kind" Really? Good lord. Talk about a party. :party-face
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

If I recall, prototypes are shown. So just like the prototype display at the shows, they ask that you do not photograph since they are showing some business secrets.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Email send!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

SpyderForLyfe wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:07 pm
Mr Blonde wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:14 pm
Please note, ... and swapping of articles of any kind during the event. Photography and/or video of any kind is also not allowed.
lol... who makes these utterly pointless, arbitrary rules? No photography? No swapping of "articles of any kind" Really? Good lord. Talk about a party. :party-face
There’s no reason to be so disrespectful. You’ve stood out in this regard over the past week that you’ve increased posting here.

Spyderco makes the rules for the event that they go through the extensive effort to host.
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:26 pm

There’s no reason to be so disrespectful. You’ve stood out in this regard over the past week that you’ve increased posting here.

Spyderco makes the rules for the event that they go through the extensive effort to host.
You address my "disrespect" yet you ignore my point. Interesting. What you call "disrespect" I call "stating the G-D obvious". Perhaps it's just me, but I don't see the point in prohibiting photography or "swapping materials". What harm is a picture going to do? And if I bring a legal item, and you bring a legal item, and we both agree to swap legal items, how does that offend Spyderco? It's very "nanny state" to me. Over the past 20 years, I've been to all kinds of trade shows and meets and what not, and photography was never prohibited. One would think that a benefit of meeting people you talk to often would be to capture the moment with photos or video. And I don't see how a company can prohibit a **** thing in a place they don't own, among people who paid to be there. Seems a bit like a power trip to me. Don't you think? If anything is disrespectful, I'd say the expectations and rules they're belaying on their customers is a good candidate.

It's odd, how for centuries people would draw and paint portraits, striving always to find better ways to capture moments. It drove us, as a species, to invent the camera. Now we have cameras, and they're being prohibited more and more. How ironic!

Seems to me like if I'm going to travel across the world to meet people, I'd want some pictures or keepsakes. But if you want to let a company that you give your money to dictate what you can and cannot do beyond the illegal, knock yourself out. Enjoy your trip!
mart

Post by mart »

Great news
Email send
Hope to see you all the 2-26-23
northmanscall

Post by northmanscall »

@SpyderForLyfe you are totally missing the point of this meeting.
Spyderco is showing protos and new models to a small audience. You can talk freely with Eric, some Designers and Staff. Lunch together.
Trading or selling kills the mood and the intention of the meeting.
Also try to relate to how the Factory Seconds Sale developed in the past, with Gentleman grabbing 30 knives in the basket to select 5 at the checkout and blocking 25 for others. No fair play.

I agree with Mushroom and can not relate to your disrespect.
:bug-red Stefan :bug-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

SpyderForLyfe wrote:
You address my "disrespect" …
You’re not “stating the obvious,” you’re just acting entitled and being disrespectful.

I answered your selfish question. I didn’t “ignore your point” because you don’t have a valid point to make. You clearly just want to argue. Every time you’re challenged on this forum you resort to a petty semantics debate.

No one is forcing anyone to attend this event. On top of that, those who do choose to go to this event, aren’t charged anything by Spyderco. If you don’t like the simple rules they have in place to protect their privacy, don’t go. It’s that simple.

Instead you felt compelled to stand on some random soap box and cry about having to follow some simple rules at a private event that you will literally never attend.

You’re acting like an entitled brat. You’re the only one on a power trip here and I’m not the only one who has noticed either. Trust me when I tell you, you’re standing out for all the wrong reasons.

———

This is one of the best events Spyderco hosts! It’s good to have it back! :bug-white-red As always, I’m looking forward to any news that can be shared afterwards! :respect