Question Sal might wish to explain

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
akapennypincher

Question Sal might wish to explain

Post by akapennypincher »

I am constantly seeing people wanting New Designs, or Updated versions of Spyderco products.

Having friend with small company who occasionally bring new products to market.

Making anything new is very costly, time consuming, and then there is bata testing, tooling, mold/die to bring idea to market.

Last projected sales, must justify cost of all these steps.

Anyone with inside knowledge care to chime in.
Mushroom

Re: Question Sal might wish to explain

Post by Mushroom »

So… what’s the question?
-Nick :bug-red
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Sal has posted more than once on this subject. I seem to be one of a very few people that have read and remember those posts. Most of the world seems to be locked into entitlement and instant gratification these days. Maybe I'm just getting old.
akapennypincher

Well it take a lot of time, effort, testing to bring anything new to market, and get right.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Spyderco likes to bring new things to market and they have produced models and changes to models based on forum requests. None of this is all or nothing, Spyderco and Sal want the feed back. However, we all have to be conscious of how we make our requests. Requests are good, demands can just show themselves out.

If you don't like the "Sal, can we get..." type threads, just skip over them. I think some here just want to feel bitter about certain things.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pennypincher,

Yes, It is challenging to bring the new designs and modified designs to market. All of the things you mentioned are in play with every "new" thing.

It's part of our offerings. new steels, new designs, new variations. I guess we get more ideas than we could ever bring all of them to market. I'm usually working on 25 - 50 design ideas at any given time. Also Eric is doing likewise.

Hope that helps.

sal
akapennypincher

sal wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:42 pm
Hi Pennypincher,

Yes, It is challenging to bring the new designs and modified designs to market. All of the things you mentioned are in play with every "new" thing.

It's part of our offerings. new steels, new designs, new variations. I guess we get more ideas than we could ever bring all of them to market. I'm usually working on 25 - 50 design ideas at any given time. Also Eric is doing likewise.

Hope that helps.

sal
That is a lot of ideas for need products, but I understand not everyone wears a size 10 boot. Got to make more than Size 10’s.
sal

Post by sal »

We try to cover a variety of sizes. What do you want more of?

sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Thanks for asking, Sal...for me, it's a balance of maxing out blade size for minimum overall size and weight. Midsize folders are very useful. I think your Caly LW will hit that target nicely.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Personally, I would like to see either Sprint runs or designs similar to the Des Horn (any chance of another collaboration?), Bradley Air, Centofante 3/Vesuvius, or Lil' Nilakka appear more frequently. However, I am open to many knives and it is always interesting to see new designs and steels from Spyderco.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Kopa, Caly jr or Caly 3 & the Calypso Is what I’d like really like to see in the line up of regular production knives. For me, they’re the best spyderco folding knife platform in a range of various sizes..slender profile carrys so well in the pocket, super spicy and versatile leaf shape blade & incredibly ergonomic. I think Sal just got it especially right with these designs, and I get why he has a personal bias to the series.
:bug-red-white
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

sal wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:50 pm

sal

Para 3-sized Manix, Sal! 🥰
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's easy to forget that this is just a discussion forum, and though we fanatics may constantly ask and sometimes demand different things, Spyderco is not in any way required to make all these requests and I'd say the vast majority of them get ignored (in a good way). It may help to serve as a way to measure interest and demand but I'm sure they have no shortage of ideas without our help. I have seen many requests come to life and I've seen (and made) several that don't go anywhere. Ultimately it's good conversation if nothing else.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
akapennypincher

sal wrote:

sal

Being LEFTY I like things that are dedicated left hand friendly.

But I get Lefty people are maybe 13% of potential customers.

So we are minority population, got to go for masses.

When you have Left Handel Models in stock? Do they sell or collect dust?
rgc

Post by rgc »

sal wrote:

sal
Well I for one love large knives, however, if we were to be specific.
1. Impala re-release in a cool steel like Cruwear or Magnacut.
2. A TiCN coated Jumpmaster 2.
3. More fixed blades (always bring back the Rock Salt in Magnacut or the Bradley Bowie in 4v).
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I have about 30 or 50 more ideas for you Sal!
:grin-sweat
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool: