2023 Spyderco Plans Or Projects

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manixguy@1994

2023 Spyderco Plans Or Projects

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

New Year today , thought I would start a thread asking Forum members want they to do this year in regards to Spyderco knives . Do you plan to buy knives , scales , clips, sharpeners , or new storage ? My plan is to do a few scale projects on pet knives , few clips , and a possible sharpening upgrade . I’m starting today a Spyderco diary detailing my daily knife carry just to see my actual preferences through the year . My knife plans are basically some Salt models if released and exclusive Manix XL models if they become available and possibly a new model they may be of interest . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Re: 2023 Spyderco Plans Or Projects

Post by JSumm »

I was able to sneak some scale upgrades into the end of last year that I had been wanting to do. This year, I have 2 maybe 3 Seki models that I want to do a scale swap with. I also want to grab one of Spyderco's CBN Bench Stones. The 400/800 grit one. If anyone has any experience with it I'm all ears.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm considering trying a guided sharpening system to help me with consistency in my edges. i have some good knives and i can keep them all sharp enough by touching them up on the sharpmaker occasionally, but i want to get beyond that.

i plan on customizing more of my knives instead of just building the collection. now that i've got more knives than i can carry, it will be fun to make them my own. it will likely only be aftermarket replacements and add-ons though. no grinding or permanent alterations in the plans yet.

i will probably continue to get some knives. i really want to try some k390. i'll probably also be purchasing some smaller knives. i think a wharncliffe delica in k390 is in my future. i'd like a sage lw too, but i'm not sure i want one in s30v, just because i have enough s30v already. i've wanted a dlc manix for years and will also surely buy a manix salt in magnacut immediately upon release.

as far as the forum goes, i have some photo ideas for the next calendar contest that i'll try out. i think i'm going to try and be less present here overall though. i need to spend more time devoted to the real world around me
and less time arguing things that aren't important. i'm sure quite a few people here would appreciate that as well.

2023 is going to be a big year for me with lots of life changes. i hope it's a great year for everyone here.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I plan to find a handful of discontinued models this year. I've pretty much gotten all the models from the present lineup that interest me. I'll be buying less overall as I need to save a lot for the next few years.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

mikey177 wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:40 am
I plan to find a handful of discontinued models this year. I've pretty much gotten all the models from the present lineup that interest me. I'll be buying less overall as I need to save a lot for the next few years.
I have a few discontinued knives I also would like to find myself . I have found one but I not sure how much time it would get in my pocket . Tough decision. Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

So far, my only plan is to pick up a Stretch 2 XL in Cruwear and dye the scales green. Stretch goal, get some aftermarket micarta on there.

I predict that my knife buying will slow down this year, but that may change if the Millie 2 comes out.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:43 am
So far, my only plan is to pick up a Stretch 2 XL in Cruwear and dye the scales green. Stretch goal, get some aftermarket micarta on there.

I predict that my knife buying will slow down this year, but that may change if the Millie 2 comes out.
I’m also going to keep an eye out for Micarta scales for the Stretch XL . My guess it will be awhile before available . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Change of year kinda doesn't make a difference for me, it still comes down to what's offered just like it did yesterday. At this moment the main thing on my radar is the MagnaCut Native 5 and whatever else they make in SE MagnaCut.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

I don't have plans to buy many more knives, but I would like to get better at freehand sharpening. If anyone has a recommendation for an affordable bench stone(s), I'd welcome it. The most "super" steel I have is probably M4.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I’m also wanting to try a Rit dye project for the first time . I am not sure what model but have time since wanting to wait for warmer weather. MG2
Henry David Thoreau
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

100% sure will slow down on buying Spyderco. Even Lil Natives, which I adore and collect, doesn't seem to hold up in value anymore with their prices almost the same as the PM2 a few years ago. But it doesn't mean I'll stop buying Spyderco because I love this company and I'll continue to support Sal, Eric, Mike, Kristi, and Co.

I'll probably wait for the BBB folder, then try to track down discontinued knives which I missed getting on the secondary. Wait for discounts and good deals. Will hope for another MAP holiday. Oh, and also the MicroJimbo. Hoping for new designs and less of the same old dealer exclusives. HNY everyone.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I do not really make plans i go with the flow a bit.
But as spydies are running more and more above of my budget i will need to change my spending habits on them so in general i will buy less in total and if possible more second hand. I do not think i will spend money an many new spydies anymore. Just the 15V if it evers gets to europe that is.
Behind that god maybe knows but I definitely do not at the moment. :zany

I am still waiting for the scales I ordered in december and my Girlfriends spydie gift to arrive hopefully this week. :squinting-tongue
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I will definitely buy fewer knives in 2023 than I have the past couple years and, like ladybug, spend more effort on mods. I'll probably buy the first micarta or TeroTuf scales I can find for the Stretch 2 XL or, as kenneth plans, dye the G-10 scales green. I also have RIT dye plans for a Pac Salt, a Native, a Caribbean, and a Lum Large Chinese.

If a bargain pops up I won't be averse to a new knife, but there aren't any in the existing catalog that I'm interested in buying. I'm excited for the new SPY 27 production Mule, and the Stretch 2 XL and Manix Salts, but that's about it.

I want to become proficient with the Hapstone V8 sharpener I got for Christmas. And if I can find a regrinding service that I can trust, I want to get a couple of regrinds done: a PITS folder and possibly the aforementioned Lum Chinese.

Fewer new knives though, that's for sure...
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I have two Mules in MagnaCut that I want to make scales for. I have some dark walnut and some birdseye maple already cut to size but they need to be stabilized. One will be walnut with white G-10 liners and the the other maple with black G-10 liners.

They will be gifts for my two boys. I just need to get started one then this spring when the weather warms up.

Pics of the walnut scales I cut to size.
16FCF8C8-BDF8-43D1-9898-232B44D3CFCE.jpeg
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Next knife I’ve got planned to own is a super blue Calypso Jr., with the scales custom dyed BRG
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Different picture for me this year:

I have no shortlist of knives I am interested in that are currently available. This relief from the knife material world actually feels welcome and calming.

My knife interest last year grew more divided - likely to pick up another folder like a UKPK, D4, or E4 (so not very expensive) or a more custom fixed blade like a Carter.

I did close 2022 with a sprint run Chief purchase which filled a hole in the collection of all NC’s with non-coated blades.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I have too many of my own knife designs, that I’m confident in, to keep procrastinating actually making them. I need to seriously plan to get some prototypes in front of some eyes at Spyderco. It would be an actual dream come true to work with Spyderco as a design collaborator.
- Nick :bug-red
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

I spent far too much in 22 building my base collection. Well over 2k. This year, in only going to buy sprints and exclusives that catch my eye.

As for projects, only if I get one with a cage lock... As is my tradition to replace with Ti.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

My plans concerning Spyderco are to find old and or beat-up models to train on.
I reground the tip on that Native and once I saw how simple it is for me now that I have some experience in knives and knife making tools.

I want to find other deals like that Native (was like 10 bucks) in order to experiment with blade shape modification and such. In France (and Europe), there is quite a number of Spyderco aficionados that would love services like adding a swedge, harpoon shape, saving a tip, making it more acute, etc.

I also want to experiment with primary bevel regrinds. I've ground a couple of blade with very high flat grinds already and think that with some training I might be able to do some good stuff.

And of course, keep improving on my handle design for the Mules. Bringing it closer and closer to my vision of the perfect handle for this blade :open-grin
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm thinking of thinning the collection to around 10 knives. With that money, maybe seek out a few models I've thought were cool looking, vs as a great functioning knives for work purposes. Also interested in stepping up my sharpening equipment to a nice guided system. The Precision Adjust is really impressive for the price, but I think I'd like to step up the quality a bit. I've done some pretty big reprofiles and a lot of my and friends knives on that thing. It's starting to feel a little more rickety these days.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick