Manix Modifications. What have you done? What do you want to do?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Manix Modifications. What have you done? What do you want to do?

Post by vivi »

apollo wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:23 am
All of my current Modded Manixes.
Would love to mod a few more in the future.
Hey Apollo, do you know if the maker has ever done these for the XL? I'd dig a set in a darker shade of green for my straight spine mod XL.
:unicorn
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

salimoneus wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:05 pm
gooeytek wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:15 am
It's not about modding to mitigate failure. I like to make my knives different from what everyone else has, and improve my experience when I use it. My Manix2 with the Ti cage, upgraded spring, linerless Ti, SiN bearing is without doubt a night and day difference compared to an unmodded one.

Watches, guns, cars and trucks, I can't leave well enough alone. Nothing stays "stock", and there is always room for improvement.

I modded my house with a new roof, paint, windows, landscaping, brick/stonework. There was nothing wrong with the original stuff, I just wanted new stuff and updated the look. The windows are more efficient, the doors are more secure, the roof matches the overall theme, and the stonework sets it apart from the other houses in the neighborhood. I could go on and on.

It's my money, and I'll piss it away if I want :grin-big eyes

To falsely assume the manufacturer doesn't know best? Well, it might be a matter of preference, but I absolutely detest pinned construction. I've destroyed those on purpose just to transplant the blade on to a better frame.

I get it, some people view their tools more as fashion accessories, show pieces, fidget toys, and what have you, rather than just functional, durable, and reliable tools. That's fine and dandy, like you said, people like putting bling bling on practically everything imaginable.

I'm just not one of those people, and would rather put the hard earned cash in other tangible investments or worthwhile consumables. None of the mods done to these knives really increases value or improves function or reliability all that much, so it's literally wasted money as I see it. But hey if it brings you joy, for however short a duration, until you get tired of it and start the cycle all over again with the next new greatest thing, by all means go for it ;)
Generally speaking. You may not wanna admit it but knives aren’t just tools, they are works of art, they inherent personality and style even if the inception behind it was for function only. Knives are a personal thing to a lotta people, so customizing the aesthetic of any said model for someone to enjoy the looks of it more doesn’t deserve to be put down.
:bug-red-white
vivi

Post by vivi »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:38 pm
JSumm wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:56 pm
It is surprising AWT doesn't have the standard profile too. They have both for the PM2. I am planning on some Agent scales with the standard profile for one of my PM2s. Rockscale Designs has both for the Manix.
TkoK83Spy wrote: I've been eyeing those plain Rockscale non skinny. $106 is a pretty good price, based on the examples I've seen posted.
if rockscale makes one compatible with a lw, i'll get two magnacut manixes. i'd keep one lw and use the other for when i'm not in shorts.

i suppose we're in the minority for liking the palm swell. like i said, i could almost understand it if it reduced the pocket profile, but i just takes away one of the best parts of the design for me. that swell is one of the main reasons i prefer the manix to the pm2 or shaman, which are both narrower under the ring and pinky fingers.
Add me to the list. I completely, 100%, do not get the appeal of "skinny" after market scales. They have all felt worse to me than the stock, especially the Shamans I've handled with em.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Browsing through this thread front to back it kills me how few edges have been modified!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Everyone can, and should, do with their knives as they please. Period, full stop, the end. What is going on around here?
vivi

Post by vivi »

No one is arguing against that?

It's a discussion forum. We're discussing our opinion of things. I'm not sure what the issue is?
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It seems some people are ridiculing others for doing what they wish to do with their own knives. It seems to be increasingly pervasive in several threads, not just here.
vivi

Post by vivi »

It's an open forum, not sure what else to say?

I think its silly to spend $50 on a replacement bearing cage that to me doesn't affect function, but leave the edge stock instead of thinning it, which has a tremendous affect on the function of the knife.

But, I'm not telling anyone what to do with their knife, or calling them names, or making fun of them.

I'm just sharing my view that you can get a better performance boost that way.....because its true.

If someone doesn't care, oh well, their knife. Maybe they care more about how it looks than how it cuts. Different priorities.

I don't think sharing an opinion is the same as telling someone what to do or belittling them.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I certainly wasn't directing my comment at you, even though your post was right before mine. I probably should have made that clear. It's not you, but it seems to be happening more than it used to. What makes sense to someone doesn't have to make sense to everyone.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:08 am
apollo wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:23 am
All of my current Modded Manixes.
Would love to mod a few more in the future.
Hey Apollo, do you know if the maker has ever done these for the XL? I'd dig a set in a darker shade of green for my straight spine mod XL.
Hi Vivi. That will be no problem. All my scales including the ones on my XL's come from Cuscadi so yes they can make them for you in almost every color and material you want. ;)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:05 am
Maybe they care more about how it looks than how it cuts. Different priorities.
or maybe the knife cuts just fine for their use so there's no need to thin the edge.

i'm starting to really like the delica, which is so strange to me because it's never felt like it fits my hand. it's a real joy to cut with though because of its thinner blade stock and grind. the thing is though, i don't just carry a knife to be super slicey and thin. i carry a knife to be ready to cut things in an emergency or in some kind of survival situation. to me, that is part of why the manix is perfect. it's small and thin enough to handle my daily cutting tasks while being beefy enough to push into harder work if necessary. i don't trust a delica to perform the way i do a manix. so, for me, it doesn't make sense to thin the edge out on a manix because i want it to be ready and capable of harder work without worrying as much about edge damage.

that's the same reason i prefer to carry a se h1 pac salt. it's not the best slicer either, but the hollow grind and serrations make it a beast that is ready in a real emergency.

i don't carry knives because i have a need to cut things all day every day. i carry knives because i love blades and i want to be ready when i do need to cut things. my mods might not increase function for everyone, but they do for me, and they will certainly never decrease function, or they will go.

i guess what i'm trying to say is that we all use our knives differently. maybe it's not necessarily a priorities issue, but a philosophy and a preference issue.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

cabfrank wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:37 am
Everyone can, and should, do with their knives as they please. Period, full stop, the end. What is going on around here?
100%.

it's one thing to ask how a mod makes a knife better or why a mod was done. that is discussion. it's quite another to kick open a door and start a tirade about how stupid everyone is for doing things i don't personally understand.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

yep.

Critical discussion should be welcomed. This forum can be oddly sensitive towards it sometimes. It's ok to have different opinions.

But straight up poopooing on someones posts ain't cool.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

My guess and I am no expert in human behavior, but they may be pooing on some of the post because I think some of them (not all) were maybe trying to elicit a reaction. Saying "nonsense" "pissing away" "silly" on a thread meant to share your modifications directly aimed at the modifications disussed. Personally, I don't get to bothered by that stuff. Too easy to move on. I mean like real easy, but I see what it is going on. Sometimes a little tact will go much further to push a discussion forward.

I don't know guys. We are all grown. I love discussing different ergonomics and design features. All discussion is welcome and is part of what is engaging on a forum like this. How we learn for sure and challenge our bias. But we know, we know when someone is pushing for a reaction or trying to make themselves feel bigger.

Take the Ball Cage discussion for example. I have been curious about that in the past. I have sometimes felt the stock could be pushed out or widened just slightly. It can for me be a little slippery with wet dirty hands. Not a problem or a complaint, but makes me curious about alternatives. So, I enjoy hearing the back and forth feedback on that on both sides. If there is a lot of feedback that the alternatives do not offer much more, then the additional $ don't justify it my head. Now other people may just may enjoy the looks. I get that too even though it may not be for me. I change out scales and RIT Dye scales, and I bet some people may shake there heads. This hobby is great and wide with many aspects to enjoy. There is room for all us.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

Some people just don't get it. Just because they like the mundane, doesn't mean there isn't any appeal in customization. Life's too short for boring stuff.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I wouldn’t go as far as saying a stock used manix or spyderco product should in any case be considered boring without customizing.I agree heavy design altering aftermarket accessories aren’t necessities to enjoy a production knife. if you want to modify your knife you in someway are saying you wish it came that way from the factory, because then it’s your ideal version of the knife actually being made for you to buy.
:bug-red-white
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:40 am
Take the Ball Cage discussion for example. I have been curious about that in the past. I have sometimes felt the stock could be pushed out or widened just slightly.
jeff, i just had my new manix apart and confirmed that the flytanium cage is the exact same spec as the standard cage (at least for the aluminum cages, but i'd be surprised if they are mulling the others differently).

eta: here's a bad photo.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:23 pm
JSumm wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:40 am
Take the Ball Cage discussion for example. I have been curious about that in the past. I have sometimes felt the stock could be pushed out or widened just slightly.
jeff, i just had my new manix apart and confirmed that the flytanium cage is the exact same spec as the standard cage (at least for the aluminum cages, but i'd be surprised if they are mulling the others differently).

eta: here's a bad photo.
Thanks LB!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

I wanted to do a lot to my new Manix, but after it arrived I realized it's kinda just perfect the way it is. maybe someday Ill put a titanium cage in it, but that's about it
Subverto

Post by Subverto »

The general vibe this forum gives off lately:

"I don't like how people enjoy their knives and I'm angry about it."

It's no wonder a lot of folks have moved on.