How Often Do You ‘Spydieflick’ ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Foehammer

How Often Do You ‘Spydieflick’ ?

Post by Foehammer »

Basically the title. How often do you Spydie flick for regular deployment? I find that it’s the easiest and has the best fun factor. Also the knife, upon deployment in this manner, is very close to the grip that i mostly use. So I don’t need to move my hand or the knife a lot in order to start cutting. Whereas with a traditional thumb hole deployment, the knife has to be turned over in order to get a proper hand placement for cutting.

I do enjoy all methods of deployment but the Spydieflick is the most utilitarian for my uses. I’d love to hear your thoughts!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Wandering_About

Re: How Often Do You ‘Spydieflick’ ?

Post by Wandering_About »

Not very often at all. In fact, after having used Spydies since somewhere around 2007ish, I just finally learned how to flick a Spydie open this year.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Only when I'm fidgeting really. Thumb flick happens almost unintentionally most of the time just from opening in a hurry.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This thread has been created many many many times, always leads to dramatics...I'll bow out here. I'm antiflicking for a majority of reasons, and that's where I stand.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

Only when tuning the action. Once it's set I never flick. The controlled, slow roll of the Spydie hole is the best and safest deployment with one hand.
Brian
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:02 pm
This thread has been created many many many times, always leads to dramatics...I'll bow out here. I'm antiflicking for a majority of reasons, and that's where I stand.
Wasn’t meaning to start drama or conflict. It’s my opinion based on my needs and uses. I’m sure others will disagree and that’s fine. Variety is the spice of life.

But genuinely curious as to your anti-flicking stance, do you mind elaborating?

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Only flick my Original Techno since i can not open it any other way as a lefty that isn’t a pain in the…
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I think one of the nicest things about Spydercos is the thumb hole. Allows you to open many ways, but the slow roll is so comfortable and satisfying with the hole. I like to slow roll open and speak each Glessers' name in thanks before I get to the locked position. Every single time.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

I don't.

I've tried a number of times, but can never get it just right, so I just open it with my thumb.
Guts

Post by Guts »

Foehammer wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:53 pm
Basically the title. How often do you Spydie flick for regular deployment? I find that it’s the easiest and has the best fun factor. Also the knife, upon deployment in this manner, is very close to the grip that i mostly use. So I don’t need to move my hand or the knife a lot in order to start cutting. Whereas with a traditional thumb hole deployment, the knife has to be turned over in order to get a proper hand placement for cutting.

I do enjoy all methods of deployment but the Spydieflick is the most utilitarian for my uses. I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Always a controversial topic for some reason, but this is why I love Spyderco's since the simple round hole offers a variety of techniques to open the knife. Use whichever technique suits you. That said, I spydieflick for the exact reasons I italicized in your post. I think how you spydieflick also matters and is one of the main reasons for contention or consternation. But there's more than one way to do it.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Foehammer wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:11 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:02 pm
Wasn’t meaning to start drama or conflict. It’s my opinion based on my needs and uses. I’m sure others will disagree and that’s fine. Variety is the spice of life.

But genuinely curious as to your anti-flicking stance, do you mind elaborating?
Rick is right, this topic often turns into a can of worms for some odd reason. It usually ends up being a debate of should you or should you not Spydieflick.

For me using the thumb flick or middle finger flick to open my knives is common but it often depends on the model I’m using. I find some knives are just easier to open with a deliberate thumb roll.
- Nick :bug-red
z1r

Post by z1r »

Never. More often than not, I simply roll open the blade with my thumb. It's about a 50/50 split on my compression locks; half getting flicked open by depressing the lock tab and flicking my wrist, the other half by flicking with my thumb. I tend to flick my Endela open more often than not by the thumb flick method. I personally never liked the Spydie flick nor saw the usefulness!
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Foehammer wrote:
the knife, upon deployment in this manner, is very close to the grip that i mostly use. So I don’t need to move my hand or the knife a lot in order to start cutting.

You should never do this because it will deform the lock, bend the scales, and dull the blade.

😐

🫤

🤣

Yeah, I flick it open almost all the time, too, with the exception of the Dragonfly and Ladybug. They're just too small and goofing around with them seems like the perfect recipe to get red stains on the floor. I also "thumb it open" when I'm in polite company and trying to remain discreet.
Last edited by RustyIron on Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Need it quick, Spydyflick.
Need it slow, let it roll.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:14 pm
Foehammer wrote:
the knife, upon deployment in this manner, is very close to the grip that i mostly use. So I don’t need to move my hand or the knife a lot in order to start cutting.

You should never do this because it will deform the lock, bend the scales, dull the blade, and ruin the resale value.

😑

😐

🫤

🤣

Yeah, I flick it open almost all the time, too, with the exception of the Dragonfly and Ladybug. They're just too small and goofing around with them seems like the perfect recipe to get red stains on the floor. I also "thumb it open" when I'm in polite company and trying to remain discreet.
You had me initially. I was like “what is he talking about???” 😂🤣

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Never. My hands are too big and awkward. Even my largest Spydercos (Native Chief, Military) won't Spydie Flick for me. No worries though, I don't tend to fidget with my knives.
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

Never. it's a secret peeve of mine.

But hey, live and let live.
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Just for funz.
Now I’m not against having fun, so it happens quite regularly.
For actual use I mostly slow roll. It’s more people friendly and since I mostly carry backlocks, also more reliable.
cjk

Post by cjk »

once or twice a week, i'll be sitting at home at my desk and spydie flick a Para 3 or a Sage 5 lightweight left handed while I'm doing some work or thinking about something. I do this with them more than actually carry and cut stuff with them. I've usually got a back lock or a slip joint (or both) in my pocket for actual use.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

never
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red