What Is In Bar Keepers Friend?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scandi Grind

What Is In Bar Keepers Friend?

Post by Scandi Grind »

Just wondering if anyone knows what types of ingredients are in that stuff?

I have heard numerous suggestions that it works great for cleaning ceramic sharpeners, so I know it works, but I was wondering if there are any health concerns with using it, since there often are with strong cleaning products.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
yablanowitz

Re: What Is In Bar Keepers Friend?

Post by yablanowitz »

Oxalic acid. It's a chelating agent, it reacts with iron which makes it very effective for cleaning rust and steel off ceramic and porcelain. You should avoid prolonged skin contact and I'd advise against snorting it.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I posted the following in another thread that had nothing to do with BKF so it's probably buried. Not really an answer to SG's question but some interesting background material, particiularly on abrasiveness or lack there of, on BKF...and a small but important footnote on using BKF in a healthy way:

...The ignor-net (in all its wisdom) is divided on the issue of whether BKF has an abrasive action or not. Some say yes, others say no. BKF itself appears to split the difference and says it has "micro-abrasive particles." But, "BKF will not scratch glass or porcelain." But don't leave it on for more than a minute: "...don't let the product sit for too long on a surface. This can cause discoloration and scratches. Instead, rinse it off after just one minute." How BKF can "scratch" a surface by sitting on it for more than a minute, I don't know. Perhaps they mean "etch" rather than "scratch." Further down the page they note that BKF will "scratch off" the nonstick coating on pans.

Another source specifically indicates that stainless steel is appropriate for BKF, but also mentions abrasives: "The best surfaces to use Bar Keepers Friend on, according to Bon Appetit, are stainless steel (anything from sheet pans to sinks), glass, porcelain, chrome, stovetops, Instant Pots, and coated cast iron cookware like a Dutch oven.The reason it cleans these surfaces so well is the combination of oxalic acid, abrasives, and detergent...The "biggest mistake you can make," according to Bon Appetit, is to let the product sit for too long on a surface..."

Note: Mixing BKF (an acid) with bleach creates Chlorine Gas.

Sources:
https://barkeepersfriend.com/8-ways-not ... rs-friend/
https://www.mashed.com/307351/you-shoul ... paign=clip

After reading this, it sounds to me like BKF is totally appropriate for knife blades. I will probably wipe or brush wetted BKF only in the direction of the grind, ie, spine to edge, and wash it off in a minute. I tried it yesterday on a slightly corroded M4 blade and while it didn't entirely erase the stain, it improved it considerably.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

There appears to always be a split between people recommending BKF versus Flitz for cleaning/polishing blades.

I understand they work by different mechanisms, but I can't find anything except anecdotal experiences with one or the other. I'm mainly curious on which is preferred for a few different applications:

1) Removing large amounts of rust, with no regard for preserving the finish/grind of the blade.
2) Removing minor discoloration or rust, and trying to not change the finish/grind of the blade.
3) Removing scuffs and marks from DLC coated blades.

I would think Flitz would be preferred for applications that require minor abrasive action, since BKF seems to be a chemical reaction driven mechanism.
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:25 pm
… and I'd advise against snorting it.

- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

From the SDS for Bar Keeper's Friend Cleanser.

Source PDF: https://barkeepersfriend.com/wp-content ... EB2020.pdf

Flitz polish paste:

Source PDF: https://store-imlukvc.mybigcommerce.com ... -13-22.pdf
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
araneae

Post by araneae »

It's made of friends...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

yablanowitz wrote:
Oxalic acid. It's a chelating agent, it reacts with iron which makes it very effective for cleaning rust and steel off ceramic and porcelain. You should avoid prolonged skin contact and I'd advise against snorting it.
I can't tell you first hand that YAB isn't kidding you about wearing protective gloves when using Bar Keeper's Friend cleanser.

But it cleans all my Spyderco stones better than anything I've ever tried or used. And the abrasive in the stones bites so well and so uniform after you clean them with BKF. Like I've said about a 100 times if I find anything that cleans better than BKF I'll start using it immediately. That was about 20 years ago the first time I said and I haven't found anything yet as good as BKF for a wide range of cleaning chores. Especially those ceramic and many other types of sharpening stones. And the stuff is very reasonably priced too.
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:57 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
I can't tell you first hand that YAB isn't kidding you about wearing protective gloves when using Bar Keeper's Friend cleanser.

But it cleans all my Spyderco stones better than anything I've ever tried or used. And the abrasive in the stones bites so well and so uniform after you clean them with BKF. Like I've said about a 100 times if I find anything that cleans better than BKF I'll start using it immediately. That was about 20 years ago the first time I said and I haven't found anything yet as good as BKF for a wide range of cleaning chores. Especially those ceramic and many other types of sharpening stones. And the stuff is very reasonably priced too.
Do you use it on your knife blades as well? If so, are you just as satisfied for that use case?
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Personally, I don't use much of anything on my knife blades. A little dish soap and hot water after cutting food, maybe a rub with an oily rag if there is surface rust is about it. I use BKF at work on stainless steel kitchen sinks a lot, it's great for that.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

JD Spydo wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:

Don't want to go too far off topic, but do tell how you use it cleaning your sharpening stones?
Crox

Post by Crox »

Rymanz wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:32 am
JD Spydo wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:

Do you use it on your knife blades as well? If so, are you just as satisfied for that use case?
I do and find it very effective. I have used it on M4 and all my kitchen knives. Here is a before and after of 1095 that got wet (and I didn’t notice soon enough). This was done with only BKF and a scrub sponge. It’s not perfect but still pretty amazing. It did similar work on spyderco super blue kitchen knife my wife left in the sink. I have never noticed any swirls that would make me think there is much abrasive action.
Attachments
0A590304-A6DE-4834-A126-E56E32103004.jpeg
C19018E4-BA7E-4967-81C8-08BA64006EE3.jpeg
2F09E9EE-35F9-4AD9-94F6-EA6D43FD1C29.jpeg
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Halfneck wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:07 am
JD Spydo wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:

Don't want to go too far off topic, but do tell how you use it cleaning your sharpening stones?
I usually wet a green 3M scrubbing pad and sprinkle BKF powder on it, enough to make a paste, then rub the stone for a minute or so. Rinse with hot water and repeat if needed, which it seldom is.

Somewhat off topic, my parents had a set of dinnerware - plates, bowls, etc. - that they had been using for decades. The started out kind of a creamy off-white color, but had developed a grey patina over the years and would get really hot in the microwave in 15 to 30 seconds. It was steel from their flatware rubbed into the surface. After I scrubbed everything down with BKF, you could microwave an empty bowl or plate for 5 minutes and take it out with your bare hand. My sister was amazed when I demonstrated.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Yablanowitz, thank you for that anecdote about the steel-infused dishes getting hot in the microwave oven. BKF to the rescue! That’s a wonderful demonstration of its effectiveness.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Rymanz wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:32 am
JD Spydo wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:

I sure do. Because BKF has some superb polishing effects to it when used properly. It is amazing on stainless cookware, Knives or anything else with stainless steel. That stuff will take a really gunked up blade regardless of what you have on it and make it look almost factory new.

Bar Keepers Friend also has a cleaner that is mainly for polishing purposes. But again I've had great results using the regular grade of BKF on anything stainless.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

So does the chemical components of BKF make it a bad choice for non-stainless steels?

(edit) Oh, never mind, somehow missed the picture of BKF being used to clean up some 1095. Pretty nice results there.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:34 pm
I sure do. Because BKF has some superb polishing effects to it when used properly. It is amazing on stainless cookware, Knives or anything else with stainless steel. That stuff will take a really gunked up blade regardless of what you have on it and make it look almost factory new.

Bar Keepers Friend also has a cleaner that is mainly for polishing purposes. But again I've had great results using the regular grade of BKF on anything stainless.
I can try this out but thought I'd ask also in case anyone has done this.

We have some high-polish "stainless" steel tablewear that on the flats of some of the table knives is showing some red-orange staining. I think BKF would probably scratch the polished surface, but would it be effective to mix a BKF solution (which I suppose would basically be a diluted oxalic acid solution) and let the affected knives sit in the solution?
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:06 am

Somewhat off topic, my parents had a set of dinnerware - plates, bowls, etc. - that they had been using for decades. The started out kind of a creamy off-white color, but had developed a grey patina over the years and would get really hot in the microwave in 15 to 30 seconds. It was steel from their flatware rubbed into the surface. After I scrubbed everything down with BKF, you could microwave an empty bowl or plate for 5 minutes and take it out with your bare hand. My sister was amazed when I demonstrated.
That's brilliant. Never would have thought of that.

Semi OT but on items that may scratch with BKF I sometimes use the non-woven pads that are sold for cleaning glass cooktops. They're even more gentle than the blue ScotchBrite pads that are sold for glass and similar surfaces. Also good for cleaning seasoned cast iron and carbon steel pans without removing the seasoning.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

yablanowitz wrote:
You should avoid prolonged skin contact and I'd advise against snorting it.
Well that was a good way to squander 30 minutes. You reminded me of Cheech & Chong's Next Movie, where Cheech inadvertently snorts soap. That led me to watch a bunch of videos on YouTube. Those guys crack me up.

The question was raised about the dangers of oxalic acid. Yeah, nah. It ain't a thing. BKF isn't a concern. Oxalic acid occurs naturally in green leafy vegetables, some fruits, nuts, etc. Although none of this is dangerous, if you consume huge amounts of foods containing oxalic acid, your body can become depleted of calcium and other minerals. It can also lead to the formation of kidney stones.

Eat your spinach,
Clean your blades wiht Barkeepers Friend,
Live happily ever after.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I was actually thinking of the scene in "Up In Smoke" where Tommy Chong was playing with the spilled Ajax and the gal came along and snorted three or four lines of it. I kinda figured that would slip by the kids here.