Sharpmaker white stones

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Will Rogers

Sharpmaker white stones

Post by Will Rogers »

I'm no expert at knife sharpening, but I've found that the Sharpmaker brown stones put a pretty sharp edge on a knife blade. What exactly do the white stones add to this? The ability to slice a hair? I don't spend a lot of time slicing (or splitting) hairs.
vivi

Re: Sharpmaker white stones

Post by vivi »

they refine the edge to a higher polish and more narrow apex.

i don't find them necessary for pocket knives, axes, machetes, etc., but they're nice for my kitchen knives.
:unicorn
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have the Ultra Fine stones too and yes, you can whittle hairs off the UF ones. I rarely use the white stones anymore. The edge I get off the medium stones is fine enough for me
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I use the white ones to make my microbevels
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
juggler

Post by juggler »

I give a few passes on the white rods to touch up my knives after using them, unless they need a full sharpening (which they often don't). I rarely bother with the UF rods anymore though.

Of course, it also depends on the steel: white rods are perfect with VG10 or LC200N, not so much with K390...
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

The brown rods are typically as far as I will go. Often times I don’t make it there, I like what the diamond/cbn does. I don’t even use the white ones.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Will Rogers wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:16 pm
I'm no expert at knife sharpening, but I've found that the Sharpmaker brown stones put a pretty sharp edge on a knife blade. What exactly do the white stones add to this? The ability to slice a hair? I don't spend a lot of time slicing (or splitting) hairs.
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong but...

Brown Stones - They will give a rough "toothier" edge that is better for slicing fiber based material (rope, cloth, plants, etc.)

White Stones - This will give you an even sharper but smoother edge. This is better for push cutting like a shaving razor. It would also work better cutting items like paper, hair and cardboard where you push the blade through the material vs slicing.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.