Travel-Ti Canteen Cup by Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KITROBASKIN

Travel-Ti Canteen Cup by Spyderco

Post by KITROBASKIN »

Spyderco has made lives better and more efficient with their products. Personally I am so grateful for a serrated knife that is so handy on a pocket lip that can be opened quickly and easily.

It did not take long to decide on ordering this cup. This purchase is partly a tribute to Sal, his son, and those who work for Spyderco. Thanks!

Hoping members will talk about this product; why it was made, how can it be used, why you like it.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... rade-/2251
JSumm

Re: Travel-Ti Canteen Cup by Spyderco

Post by JSumm »

I do not have one, but I would love to have a few to throw in our camping gear. I would much prefer these to my steel cups we currently use. Do they stack within each other?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I fully planned on buying one eventually but the first five of us in line for the seconds sale received one this year and even though I like the product in my opinion it could have been done differently to increase its versatility. Still I really like the cup and I’m glad to have it!

I think it looks really cool, I like that it replicates a military canteen. I think it would be great for using while camping, at a cabin in the woods, or just in place of a ceramic mug. It’s a good idea for branded merchandise and a must have for collectors, in my opinion.

It is a sealed double wall titanium cup though so it is probably not wise to boil water with it, either in a fire or on a camp stove. It’s mostly just a cool replacement to a traditional ceramic mug, in my opinion.

Correction: According to the literature on the packaging, this is actually a Vented Double Wall Construction. “This cups double walled construction is vented, making it safe for use over an open flame. Exposure to heat may cause permanent color change.”
JSumm wrote: I do not have one, but I would love to have a few to throw in our camping gear. I would much prefer these to my steel cups we currently use. Do they stack within each other?
They do not stack together.
Actually I’m not 100% sure. I do not think they were designed to stack but they might stack together to some extent.
Last edited by Mushroom on Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick :bug-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

If it can stand the climate in Georgia, I might have to get one ! 😅
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:22 pm
JSumm wrote: I do not have one, but I would love to have a few to throw in our camping gear. I would much prefer these to my steel cups we currently use. Do they stack within each other?
They do not stack together.
Thanks for the info. That's a bummer.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:11 pm
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these containers from the swift completion of their appointed drinks
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:52 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these containers from the swift completion of their appointed drinks
I just hope it is compatible for lefty’s! :zany Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:58 pm
JSumm wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:52 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
I just hope it is compatible for lefty’s! :zany Dan
They are ambidextrous.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I like the idea of these a lot. The description says they are built to last a lifetime. Do they feel like that in hand? Does seem like a great addition to the camping gear.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Can we anticipate Spyderco to soon offer a canteen that fits the cup? Typically a canteen cup nests around a canteen.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:14 pm
Can we anticipate Spyderco to soon offer a canteen that fits the cup? Typically a canteen cup nests around a canteen.
Makes perfect sense to me . Compact package and useful .
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JSumm wrote: Thanks for the info. That's a bummer.
I’m actually going to retract that statement, as I can’t say for sure. They actually might stack to some extent but I do not have a second one to test and confirm. My apologies, I just do not want to spread potential misinformation.

Maybe someone with two or someone from Spyderco could chime in to help confirm or deny if they will stack at all?
JSumm wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:01 pm
I like the idea of these a lot. The description says they are built to last a lifetime. Do they feel like that in hand? Does seem like a great addition to the camping gear.
It definitely feels good in hand. It’s a good size overall and the handles are solid and don’t feel flimsy. So long as it doesn’t get crushed by something very heavy, I would expect it to last a long time.

———

One thing I just noticed now that I had never seen before was a small note printed inside the box - “This cups double walled construction is vented, making it safe for use over an open flame. Exposure to heat may cause permanent color change.”

That is very good to know! So after all, I guess it is safe to boil water with! :face monocle I would just expect the handle covers to melt off. :hand-over-mouth (Although they’re silicone, so maybe not.)
-Nick :bug-red
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Interesting. Typically doubled wall is not something you want to get too hot. Single walled you can. I guess the venting would allow it. Silicone sleeves may not be safe. But, the discoloration would look really cool actually.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
KITROBASKIN

Post by KITROBASKIN »

Received Travel-Ti cup today with a purple Counter Puppy and a 4.5 inch red handle Utility knife. The cup, no surprise, is made in China and is good quality. Wish I could easily post pictures on this Spyderco Forum. I could make a YouTube video this weekend?

Someone else can experiment with high temperature. Seems like coloring titanium requires high heat and different temperatures create different colors, right? Campfire heat is not hot enough, will somewhat discolor and leave soot maybe? Curious what others think.

Due to the thick wall and lack of taper I do not see how it could be stacked. Not a factor for me in the sense that other items can be stored within the cup when traveling if wanted.
KITROBASKIN

Post by KITROBASKIN »

Update: Gave the knives as Christmas presents and use the Spyderco Ti cup every day at home.

Fun fact: The more narrow profile of the cup while drinking offers increased situational awareness for sticky situations in front of you! Pretty much joking but it does have this nature over other standard drinking vessels.
cyclopsamurai

Post by cyclopsamurai »

Hello Ti Cup Users,

I am ordering one--who makes this cup? And what are the outer dimensions? How do y'all like it for hot, cold, travel, general usefulness, etc.?

Thanks!