Millie best user knife. Change my mind.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Having a decent size collection of spyderco knives and been a user/collector for about 25 plus years, the Millie is the best user knife imo. I use knives as a first responder and a regular Joe and the one Spyderco I would hate to live without is the Military. I understand that everyone has different needs and hand size and if I had smaller hands I might say the PM2 is. Next up behind the Millie is the Shaman and the Manix 2XL for user knives that I would carry in the field or just being an average Joe.

:winking-tongue Change my mind
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
skeeg11

Re: Millie best user knife. Change my mind.

Post by skeeg11 »

So many aspects to one's daily life that it would be darn near impossible to narrow it down to one knife. We're Spydie Nuts here so thank God we're under no illusions that we have to limit ourselves to one knife in our daily travails. Most of us probably carry at least two on a daily basis anyway. I can almost get it down to two to cover 80% of my daily needs. One PE and one SE. A single bladed combo edge is too much of a compromise for me.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Isn’t this the quest we’re all on?

It’s hard enough to determine the best user knife for oneself, let alone deciding on one for everyone.
I’ll argue that all my knives, maybe except my Buck 112, are user knives, and I’m not sure how to rank the “best” one of those. They all have their intended purpose. Is it the best all round knife, is it the one that feels best in hand, is it the one that’s most comfortable in the pocket?

Maybe the legal restrictions around here has unconsciously trained my mind to prefer small folding knives? I do also have small hands, so it may be happy coincident. Anyhow, I think I would miss my DF2(s) the most if they suddenly disappeared from this world.

I too am a first responder/SAR volunteer and I spend lots of time in the outdoors, and very rarely bring any of my DF2s into these settings. Outdoor happens, SAR never. Yet, there’s so much else I could use in those cases. The DF2 is such an integral part of my everyday life, it would be hard to give up.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Can't really say you're wrong, can't really say it's the best for me though.

This for all around versatility.

These for first responder work.

My Military gets used for yard work more than anything else, but lately that role has gone to my MagnaCut Mule, and moreso than that I really prefer my Spyderhawk.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:39 am
Having a decent size collection of spyderco knives and been a user/collector for about 25 plus years, the Millie is the best user knife imo. I use knives as a first responder and a regular Joe and the one Spyderco I would hate to live without is the Military. I understand that everyone has different needs and hand size and if I had smaller hands I might say the PM2 is. Next up behind the Millie is the Shaman and the Manix 2XL for user knives that I would carry in the field or just being an average Joe.

:winking-tongue Change my mind
No I'm not about to attempt to change your mind. Because I pretty much feel the same way.. After snagging my M390 Military back around 2014 in a really nice trade I did with a guy over at BF I've found the C-36 Military especially with one of the supersteel blades to be more than ideal for EDC uses.

We have a very reasonable blade length law here in the USA state of Missouri ( 4 inch blade) and I immediately started carrying my M390 Military for most of my everyday chores. Now I do have about a dozen folders that I periodically rotate but most of the time I'm usually carrying my M390 Military model. It is probably considered by most people a tad bit large for an EDC folder but I've grown accustomed to mine and find it extremely handy.

Oh one last thing I will mention>> if you live in a jurisdiction that has strict, draconian knife laws then you can opt for the PARA2 model.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I have medium-sized hands, but the Military is perfectly natural and comfortable in my hand. It is AMONG my favorite designs. But my favorite of all? That's really hard to say. I like different models for different reasons.

There are some cutting chores where my G10 Native 5 feels like it offers better control for me.

For gardening, I prefer either my Tasman or my Pacific Salt.

For some things, I prefer the leaf-bladed Caribbean over the Military.

I find myself carrying either my G10 Manix 2 or one of my PM 2's more often than my Militaries.

And there are others.

For myself, each knife fills a role, so I can't say for myself (and I certainly can't speak for anybody else) what the "best knife" is. There will be as many different answers and opinions as there are people.

Jim
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Ha! If you have found the best knife for you, I have no intention of getting in the way of your conclusion!

Philosophical question though. What sort of emotion does deciding that you have found "the one" evoke for you? Does it feel comforting that you know what you would pick if pressed into the question? Does it feel disappointing that the search is over? Does it quench any impulse to buy more knifes?

This might be good question for it's own thread actually.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:39 am
I can't. It is the best! ;)
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
rgc

Post by rgc »

Late to the game so I am still waiting on the "right" Military to come around for me to try out but I'm sure I will like it as the blade size is right up my alley. That said my Native Chief in CTS-XHP will be hard to replace as my favorite folder. The M390 Chief is nice but I just like everything about the XHP one just a bit more. I will get the new Stretch XL when it is released so we will see how it goes after that.

Wish I would have been looking when Cutlery Shop did their version of the Military . . .
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:48 am
Can't really say you're wrong, can't really say it's the best for me though.

This for all around versatility.

These for first responder work.

My Military gets used for yard work more than anything else, but lately that role has gone to my MagnaCut Mule, and moreso than that I really prefer my Spyderhawk.
I knew of one elite heletack FF who carried this and it is a great knife.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

rgc wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:13 pm
Late to the game so I am still waiting on the "right" Military to come around for me to try out but I'm sure I will like it as the blade size is right up my alley. That said my Native Chief in CTS-XHP will be hard to replace as my favorite folder. The M390 Chief is nice but I just like everything about the XHP one just a bit more. I will get the new Stretch XL when it is released so we will see how it goes after that.

Wish I would have been looking when Cutlery Shop did their version of the Military . . .
Stretch XL is a Millie modified knife in my book and will be a great knife.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:30 am
Ha! If you have found the best knife for you, I have no intention of getting in the way of your conclusion!

Philosophical question though. What sort of emotion does deciding that you have found "the one" evoke for you? Does it feel comforting that you know what you would pick if pressed into the question? Does it feel disappointing that the search is over? Does it quench any impulse to buy more knifes?

This might be good question for it's own thread actually.
If I lost every knife, it would be the first knife I would buy again. It’s not so much emotion, just functional and the best bang for use.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:10 am
I have medium-sized hands, but the Military is perfectly natural and comfortable in my hand. It is AMONG my favorite designs. But my favorite of all? That's really hard to say. I like different models for different reasons.

There are some cutting chores where my G10 Native 5 feels like it offers better control for me.

For gardening, I prefer either my Tasman or my Pacific Salt.

For some things, I prefer the leaf-bladed Caribbean over the Military.

I find myself carrying either my G10 Manix 2 or one of my PM 2's more often than my Militaries.

And there are others.

For myself, each knife fills a role, so I can't say for myself (and I certainly can't speak for anybody else) what the "best knife" is. There will be as many different answers and opinions as there are people.

Jim
Caribbean is an amazing knife. Love my sheepsfoot version
vivi

Post by vivi »

Millie is one of the best, no doubt.

For me to pick a knife as the best work knife, it's gotta be rust proof.

Wouldn't say no to a magnacut Military 2 ;)
:unicorn
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yup!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

vivi wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:53 pm
Wouldn't say no to a magnacut Military 2 ;)
God willing.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really don't think any knife has ever been more guaranteed than that combo. They may as well just go ahead and put it in a reveal or something. I wouldn't even be surprised if the Military 2 debuted in MagnaCut. We know there will be sprints, we know MagnaCut is the bee's knees, it would be foolish to not put the two together.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Millie salt in Magnacut or LC200N is the dream.
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

I admire your passion. I don’t think I can come up with an argument that can change your mind.
I can say I have never been interested in carrying a folding knife that size wise tips past the point of what I think can be done better with a fixed blade. Whether I am chasing length of blade or strength of design. For me, PM2, stretch 2 and Shaman are at the upper limit of why I carry a folder over a fixed blade. Which is mostly convenience and conceal-ability.
That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t own one (or even a Chief or Stretch XL), but I wouldn’t consider it ‘best’. At least not by my criteria.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Why would I try to change your mind when it's so clearly in the right? ;)

I'm still waiting for the CPM 4V one. Any news on that front?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"