Get me excited about M398

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
JRinFL

Re: Get me excited about M398

Post by JRinFL »

15V with BBB heat treat will gone in minutes, unless the website collapses under the strain. They made larger numbers of the three models already released and they did not sit around for long, even at obscure dealers.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Traditional.Sharpening

Post by Traditional.Sharpening »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 7:46 am
15V with BBB heat treat will gone in minutes, unless the website collapses under the strain. They made larger numbers of the three models already released and they did not sit around for long, even at obscure dealers.
With respect sir, you have no idea how many pieces there will be of the 15V Mule AND you have no idea what the actual demand will be in numbers so this is speculation at best and could be entirely off base. I certainly will be buying one right off the bat because of what you say has been common in the past but recent released Mule's defy the old 'norm' in general.
douglascustomknives

Post by douglascustomknives »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 9:04 am
M398 was available for a relatively long time. 15V will be available for minutes, if that. You're going to want to sort out any issues buying from SFO long before the 15V mule drops.

Also, welcome DCK!
Yeah I emailed to see what the issue is with the system.

A friend told me about the mule team releases and M398. I am now aware and would like to purchase and try these steels out. Hopefully next drop on a super steel I'll be able to try them out.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Traditional.Sharpening wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 5:45 pm
JRinFL wrote:
With respect sir, you have no idea how many pieces there will be of the 15V Mule AND you have no idea what the actual demand will be in numbers so this is speculation at best and could be entirely off base. I certainly will be buying one right off the bat because of what you say has been common in the past but recent released Mule's defy the old 'norm' in general.
I don't understand the purpose of your comments? Are you telling people don't worry there will be plenty? What's the end game here?

For everyone else, make sure you are ready on the day of release. Make sure you can purchase from the SFO long before the day of release. If not, work with them to get all the issues squared away prior to release day. Set a calendar reminder and try to be logged in 15-30 minutes early.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

In my experience, it does seem that steels with significant "press coverage" sell out quickly, and the lesser known steels (I'd put M398 in that group) stay on the shelf for awhile. "Big Metal" names like Larrin and Shawn appear to have a large effect on which steels get good press, or don't. So if we are laying bets, I'll put my money on a very quick sellout of 15V, and somewhat slower for T15 but still at a reasonable clip, given Spyderco's typical quantities produced.

Conjecture? Yes, entirely. I've no insider knowledge here.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Traditional.Sharpening

JRinFL wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 7:26 am
JRinFL wrote:
I don't understand the purpose of your comments? Are you telling people don't worry there will be plenty? What's the end game here?

For everyone else, make sure you are ready on the day of release. Make sure you can purchase from the SFO long before the day of release. If not, work with them to get all the issues squared away prior to release day. Set a calendar reminder and try to be logged in 15-30 minutes early.
The purpose is to point out that you are simply speaking purely as a 'best guess' as you don't know what will really happen. It's entirely possible this could go the other way and sit on the website for several months as Sal has mentioned that they are really trying to make sure everyone can get one on every release of Mule's. This means they'll end up likely in a position of being 'overstocked' rather than understocked if they have to make that choice.

I don't use the word 'know' lightly and you could easily prove to me that you somehow know something by sharing how you've been made aware of the number of pieces that will be produced AND how many people intend to buy them. You know not one of these pieces of information unless you work with Spyderco and need to know this. Spreading misinformation is not ever helpful, IMO. I do understand that many people like to pretend they know what the future will bring.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

There is no "norm" saying Mules go instantly on every drop, there's the MagnaCut drop, and the others, that's all ! :')
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Fri May 05, 2023 12:07 pm
JRinFL wrote:
JRinFL wrote:

The purpose is to point out that you are simply speaking purely as a 'best guess' as you don't know what will really happen. It's entirely possible this could go the other way and sit on the website for several months as Sal has mentioned that they are really trying to make sure everyone can get one on every release of Mule's. This means they'll end up likely in a position of being 'overstocked' rather than understocked if they have to make that choice.

I don't use the word 'know' lightly and you could easily prove to me that you somehow know something by sharing how you've been made aware of the number of pieces that will be produced AND how many people intend to buy them. You know not one of these pieces of information unless you work with Spyderco and need to know this. Spreading misinformation is not ever helpful, IMO. I do understand that many people like to pretend they know what the future will bring.
Clearly you have something against me for some reason unknown to myself. You do not appear to be such a pedant on the posts of others, so it's got to be personal.

All I'm trying to do is make sure that those who want one can make the best effort to get one. You seem to be taking the opposite tack, for reasons only you know.

I have zero inside information, but from observing the sales of Magnacut mules and the sales of the BBB 15V sprints, one can make the assumption that the mule drop will sell at a similar brisk pace. One can also assume that Sal has not gone crazy and ordered an amount of mules equal to the unknown number of people who will want one or more. For one, he cannot know the actual total number needed, and two, his previous increases in quantity have been conservative.

I had assumed that anyone reading my comments knew they were not the word from Spyderco, but I guess I was wrong. Like everyone else here, with you as the exception of course, have made similar comments and it was understood that they based it on their observations and not on the official word from Spyderco. Since I am far from perfect, it might be best if you ignore my posts or block me. It's probably better for your blood pressure if you avoid reading my imperfect posts.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Traditional sharpening must not realize you've been around here many years Jim, and understand how this works...with common sense and experience, no need for insider info. I'd just move along brother!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Traditional.Sharpening

JRinFL wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 1:12 pm
Fri May 05, 2023 12:07 pm
JRinFL wrote:

Clearly you have something against me for some reason unknown to myself. You do not appear to be such a pedant on the posts of others, so it's got to be personal.

All I'm trying to do is make sure that those who want one can make the best effort to get one. You seem to be taking the opposite tack, for reasons only you know.

I have zero inside information, but from observing the sales of Magnacut mules and the sales of the BBB 15V sprints, one can make the assumption that the mule drop will sell at a similar brisk pace. One can also assume that Sal has not gone crazy and ordered an amount of mules equal to the unknown number of people who will want one or more. For one, he cannot know the actual total number needed, and two, his previous increases in quantity have been conservative.

I had assumed that anyone reading my comments knew they were not the word from Spyderco, but I guess I was wrong. Like everyone else here, with you as the exception of course, have made similar comments and it was understood that they based it on their observations and not on the official word from Spyderco. Since I am far from perfect, it might be best if you ignore my posts or block me. It's probably better for your blood pressure if you avoid reading my imperfect posts.
It's nothing personal but rather a poor practice to make assumptions. Plan for the best, hope for the worst. That's all that's needed here. 'It could sell out in minutes' is a much better statement than 'I expect it to be gone in minutes'. That first statement will always be true and your statement of sort of implying that it will happen is mere speculation. If folks want to order right away then that's the best way to guarantee it.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I'm just curious if Fireman ever got excited about M398.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I knew I should have mounted the 0001 Flamingo in the landscaping today . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 7:59 pm
I knew I should have mounted the 0001 Flamingo in the landscaping today . MG2
It's never too late Dan. Unless of course they are sold out. Then it is too late.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

When people on the forum take a guess as to what might happen in Spyderco world, it's a guess, it's a bet, it's a conversation starter, usually based on past experience, or reading the tea leaves in a certain way. Sure, it's speculation. That doesn't make it "misinformation" any more than a missed weather report is "misinformation." There's nothing sinister about it; this forum is a bunch of guys sitting on the porch, whittling (or in JSumm's case, sipping whisky) and speculating about what Spyderco will do next. This forum is about 50% opinion-mixed-with-speculation. (Even that percentage I just proposed is a speculation).

At any rate, in the spirit of a friendly bet, JRinFL and Bolster are betting on a fast sellout (of 15V), and apparently Traditional is betting on a slower sellout. We haven't defined "faster" or "slower," and we don't know production numbers, but the bets are on the table just the same, so let's have fun with them. I'm perfectly content to be wrong--why would that matter?-- and I'm guessing it's no skin off JR's, if he's wrong, either. If Spyderco has 15V sitting on the shelf for three months, I'll stroke my goatee and say, "Dang, that Traditional surely called that one." Either way, it's fun to speculate and then see what happens.

Peace, brothers. Keep your powder dry for things that matter.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Traditional.Sharpening

JSumm wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:37 pm

I'm just curious if Fireman ever got excited about M398.
I love Steve Harvey, great meme. I bought one but I'm not excited about it either, may just sell it now that they're gone. :yawn
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Screenshot_20230522_125226_Gallery.jpg
What I've found for me atleast is to carry a dmt diafold when I carry my m398 mule. And make frequent touch ups. I've seen real world use drop from my controlled testing. However using frequent touch ups camouflages that detriment. I prefer more push cutting with the mule blade shape, but given the carbide volume I have transitioned into 600 dmt touch ups during my 10 day carry runs. I'm looking forward to trying out Aeb-l bcuz I think that steel fits the profile for my preferences better.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Traditional.Sharpening

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 12:12 pm

What I've found for me atleast is to carry a dmt diafold when I carry my m398 mule. And make frequent touch ups. I've seen real world use drop from my controlled testing. However using frequent touch ups camouflages that detriment. I prefer more push cutting with the mule blade shape, but given the carbide volume I have transitioned into 600 dmt touch ups during my 10 day carry runs. I'm looking forward to trying out Aeb-l bcuz I think that steel fits the profile for my preferences better.
If you prefer push cutting ability (high polish/lower edge angles) and sharpen often to maintain high sharpness, there's virtually no reason M398 would be superior to AEB-L. If you prefer cutting to very low sharpness at coarse edge polish and more obtuse edges then M398 would likely be better suited. I would run AEB-L at lower edge angles (sub 10 DPS) and at least 1200 DMT or more to really let that steel shine.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

I just Re-Sharpened my M398 mule freehand with a DMT Diafold Fine/Xfine and stropped on leather with 4 micron CBN.

It was a little tricky to get an edge on it at first, but after I got it shaving sharp with fine, then Xfine, then stropped it it got one of the most aggressive edges that I have ever sharpened, whittle a hair, bite you if you touch it aggressive.

So far I have been using it around the house for misc. kitchen stuff, but hot **** I was not expecting it to get so aggressive. I need to get the BBB mule to compare, but holy smokes the M398 mule can get crispy.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Mon May 22, 2023 7:59 pm
Steeltoez83 wrote:

If you prefer push cutting ability (high polish/lower edge angles) and sharpen often to maintain high sharpness, there's virtually no reason M398 would be superior to AEB-L. If you prefer cutting to very low sharpness at coarse edge polish and more obtuse edges then M398 would likely be better suited. I would run AEB-L at lower edge angles (sub 10 DPS) and at least 1200 DMT or more to really let that steel shine.
In terms of edge stability thru my uses I saw performance drops at 10 dps. So I raised the angle up to 13 or 14 dps. I figure aeb-l will have more stability to run a lower edge angle and the ability to absorb impacts at the apex better. Now I've used 400 and 1k triple b super vitrified diamond edges on the m398 mule on and off. I've used other m398 alot but I've gravitated towards the 600 dmt for the mule. And I run 10 or 12 day blocks where I just carry it by itself. Right now I'm enjoying this approach for this particular mule.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 12:28 am
Mon May 22, 2023 7:59 pm
Steeltoez83 wrote:

In terms of edge stability thru my uses I saw performance drops at 10 dps. So I raised the angle up to 13 or 14 dps. I figure aeb-l will have more stability to run a lower edge angle and the ability to absorb impacts at the apex better. Now I've used 400 and 1k triple b super vitrified diamond edges on the m398 mule on and off. I've used other m398 alot but I've gravitated towards the 600 dmt for the mule. And I run 10 or 12 day blocks where I just carry it by itself. Right now I'm enjoying this approach for this particular mule.

I used a fine/X fine DMT diafold as well. I don’t know the edge angle, but I can’t get over the M398 mule cutting paper towels like they are printer paper. I struggle to get that type of edge, even with K390.