Integral Compression Lock Shaman?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you be interested in an ICL Shaman?

Yep
31%
Nope
55%
Other?
14%

Total votes: 42

Evil D

Integral Compression Lock Shaman?

Post by Evil D »

Just a thought. Seems like an idea that would be super popular, and maybe even could be made very strong considering how thick the Shaman scales are. I'm sure it would come in fairly heavy but this already isn't a flyweight knife, I wouldn't mind the extra heft. I'd definitely prefer a steel lock face insert if possible.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dsvirsky

Re: Integral Compression Lock Shaman?

Post by dsvirsky »

Not saying it's a bad idea, but I wouldn't buy one.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

dsvirsky wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:41 am
Not saying it's a bad idea, but I wouldn't buy one.

Follow up question, are you a fan of the regular Shaman or is it just altogether not your thing?
~David
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I voted yes, because I think it'd be neat to see, but I probably wouldn't buy one unless it was in an interesting steel like via a sprint or flash batch. I think it would be prohibitively expensive.
--Jeremy
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:58 am

Follow up question, are you a fan of the regular Shaman or is it just altogether not your thing?
Legit question. The Shaman seems like a solid design but, having long ago met any real need for another knife, I can't even create a perceived need for this model. It just doesn't resonate with me. I'd rather see Spyderco invest the resources in something I'd be more interested in.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Would be interesting, but I don't see myself getting one. I'm sure it would sell well though as a periodic sprint. Much like dsvirsky, I don't see a need for this and would deem it more a novelty item. And I'm sure it would command a price that would further remove my curiosity.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

I voted no. The compression lock is a selling point for me. Many companies do frame locks well; only one company does the compression lock. I would rather see the choil-less Shaman.
- Richard
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I voted yes because I'd like to see this lock come to fruition, and would open the door to a fluted Ti PM2 and possibly a fluted Ti Military 2!
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I voted other.

The reasons I like the Shaman: 1) Contoured handle.
The reasons I don't already own a Shaman: 1) The blade is thicker than I prefer. This is pretty much a deal breaker for me, though I understand it might be perfect for other users. 2) The Shaman is priced a little too high. I have pricier knives, but they're knives I actually carry, whereas the thick-bladed Shaman would be an expensive sock-drawer queen. 3) The compression lock is not my favorite. Not a deal-breaker, but I can name a half-dozen locks I prefer, one of which is the ICL.

So, I'd definitely take a look at an ICL Shaman, but only if the blade were no thicker than 3mm. That said, I'd be interested in any Shaman with a thinner blade and, if I could have my wish, it would have a backlock.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Not a bad idea but would prefer a lock back . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:44 am
I voted yes because I'd like to see this lock come to fruition, and would open the door to a fluted Ti PM2 and possibly a fluted Ti Military 2!

A fluted titanium Shaman is a WHOLE other fantasy....those flutes on the contoured handle 😳
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Riclaw,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I like the Shaman, but would pass on an ICL version.
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

Hello all. First post. I have no experience with this lock type and had to look up images of where it is used (ATR and Salsa). I do own 2 Shaman and am a fan of the knife, including the ability to push it harder in use. Purely as an observation, it appears this lock type would have hot spots in use (on what I see this knife designed for). Almost contradicting what the handle shape was designed for - more comfortable use.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I could be wrong, but I feel like an ICL would have terrible ergos. Has it been done before?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

aaronkb wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:02 pm
I could be wrong, but I feel like an ICL would have terrible ergos. Has it been done before?

There was an ATR that had it.

~David
phaust

Post by phaust »

Voted no under the assumptions it'd be slicker and heavier. I have a Shaman and like it for what it is.

When the Military was made into a frame lock, Spyderco made it the same strength as the standard liner lock. I imagine they'd do that the same here, so I don't think extra strength would be an added feature either (not that you need to make the regular comp lock stronger anyway).
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Zipper,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Zipper wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:01 pm
Hello all. First post...

Hey Zipper. Good first post! It makes my first post look like a kindergartener's. Speaking of, I'm about to make another kindergarten level post:

So, EvilD: I am confused, not understanding something here. I thought the ICL (= integral compression lock) was like an inverted RIL (= Reeve Integral Lock, aka "framelock", like a linerlock but using frame not liner), in that it used the frame's spine area (with no scales) for lockup. But once you put scales on the knife, like the Shaman has, then aren't you dealing with the "linered" version of the lock, which is more-or-less equivalent to a standard compression lock? In order to have an ICL don't you need to have no overlay scales, just frame?

In which case, are you proposing a "naked" Shaman with just a frame handle, and no scales?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I voted yes because the A.T.R is one of the most amazing designs Sal ever made.
The lock is a piece of art! It would be an amazing to see it in a design like the Shaman!