Long Timers: How has this forum changed?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Long Timers: How has this forum changed?

Post by Bolster »

I notice that I'm one of the old timers on this forum @ 15 years. And there are still plenty of members that are my senior here. Question to the Long Timers: How has this forum changed over the years?

I have several ideas but will lead off with this one: There's a lot less discussion of Self Defense than their used to be. It used to be a regular topic, and now it's rather infrequent.

Agree/disagree? What else has changed, or maybe the better word is: evolved?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
vivi

Re: Long Timers: How has this forum changed?

Post by vivi »

No more SEF posts.
:unicorn
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Self defense seems to be gone. Also way more talk about steel and handle colours, less about new models. I also have the impression that Sal listening to us spoiled us in a way. I don't recall anyone asking Sal to make this or that model in this specific colour and some wondersteel. It was VG10 and black G10 and maybe S30V if we were lucky. Maybe it's the influence of Instagram but it feels like there were more users then true collectors on here. People used their knives more. When i started using Spyderco knives they were part of my equipment in law enforcement. Now it feels more like an investment vibe. People buy Spyderco knives as an object d'art instead of a no nonsense tool. It sometimes feels a little snobbery. I don't know if it's me getting older or frustrated about pricing. It feels like the casio g-shock. Used to be a hardcore watch for professionals, now it's a fashion accessoire in dozens of funky colours and shapes. Same with Glocks. No more black plastic but a gucci thing to express your personal taste and wealth.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Regular members change.

Most popular models change.

The rise of the desktop reviewer has created hype without much substance to back it up. I remember more people doing videos of actual use 15 years ago, now I have a sneaky suspicion that most of these knives being reviewed are bought/videoed/returned to get their money back or flipped.

WAY more sprints and exclusives, particularly dealer exclusives. Like several hundred percent increase.

Spyderco seem less adventurous with designs, there are far less "out there" designs coming out now.

Far more non stainless steels it seems to me. More steels in general but people seem more open minded about using non stainless.

Many steels I never dreamed would make it into regular production, and even some of those that people actually scoff at now that you could only get in a custom knife back then.

Lightweight construction has really come a long way. They used to be basically solid molded slabs but now are lighter and more rigid with internal 3D structures and can have 4 way clip. Comparing a classic Native LW to a Native 5 LW is pretty amazing.

Many really great models are sadly no longer available (I'll let JD chime in here).

Not quite 15 years but it feels like the SE Military hasn't been available since then. Mine is from 2009.

It feels like we're coming out of the overbuilt tactical knife trend with higher performance slicers becoming more common. Even Zero Tolerance toned it down quite a bit. Cold Steel still doing Cold Steel stuff though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I’ve been here for over 13 years. The observations posted so far are spot on. When I first joined it seemed to be more of a discussion of new models. Threads nowadays are more focused on sprints/dealer runs/drops/social media hype and new steels. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, the conversations evolved around Spyderco’s offerings, and we are spoiled with options.

I can also just be guilty of remembering “the good old days” incorrectly as well. Naturally when you first get into something everything seems new and exciting. I got “hooked” with the salt line and it was a slippery slope after that. Honestly I probably could have (should have) walked away with my Pacific Salt 1 and had enough knife for the rest of my life, but here I am.

One thing I can point out, unfortunately, is the forum seems a little more negative to me than in the past. It seems like some of the newer members ignore the culture of this forum and will jump on anyone that posts outside of the typical praise or group think.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:49 pm
"The rise of the desktop reviewer has created hype without much substance to back it up. I remember more people doing videos of actual use 15 years ago, now I have a sneaky suspicion that most of these knives being reviewed are bought/videoed/returned to get their money back or flipped. "
It's more than that, most "known" knife youtubers are members of pass-around groups, one brand wants to show a knife, they give it to 1 youtuber, and then 10 others will have it to "review". That's even more efficient.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
James Y

Post by James Y »

I've been a member here since 2004, but then (for the most part) went away for 14 years. I only started regularly visiting and actually contributing here in 2018. So I might as well be a new(ish) member here.

I'm still happy with and generally prefer basic versions of models. I don't require super edge-holding steels, or unique color schemes, etc. I don't care about sprints and exclusives, nor do I stress out over getting exclusives as they 'drop,' or whatever it's called when they're released. So I don't ever worry about or deal with flippers.

I almost never watch YouTube knife reviewers. With very rare exceptions, I don't gain anything from watching them. Unless the reviewer actually uses the knife in the video, which is exceedingly rare.

One of the reasons why I don't post much in the Spyderco General Discussion forum is that I don't have much of interest to contribute that hasn't already been said better by others 100s of times.

Jim
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I've been here since before 2004, but I have no record of it.
What has changed People here know more about knives and steel.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i've not been around that long, but based on searches and reading through older threads, i'd say the conversation seems to have been much more technical overall in the past. there's still a lot of technical talk today, but i agree it's more about colors and new steels compared loosely to older steels via opinions and not as much real data.

it doesn't matter to me one way or another... i don't understand most of the technical stuff and i've not really gone too deep down the rabbit hole of steel composition. it's just something i've noticed.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I was one of the original members (#25, IIRC), back in 2000. I'd say the biggest changes are the level of technical expertise in knife steel discussions has significantly increased :nerd and the price point at which people expect every Spyderco knife to be perfect has roughly tripled. :winking-tongue
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

There was a lot more discussion around designs with more input from the designers. Many of the designers are no longer posters here for reasons I can speculate on, but won’t.

After the iron curtain of MAP dropped there has been less talk of the great deals some people found and where they found them.

There used to be more modders showing their work, but now since many releases are limited releases and become more valuable after you receive them, there are fewer modders.

I also think Exclusive Fatigue has discouraged many posters, especially our overseas friend since most are not available there. I guess it could be called PM2/3 Fatigue as well.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I am a short timer and the change I've seen is - "BBS (who?) has left the building". :winking-tongue

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I've been a member here since 2001, although the forum "reset" changed that status in 2004, but it's all good. I guess one of the biggest changes I've noticed is the expansion of different models. Back then, the catalog was a lot thinner. There weren't nearly as many different models to choose from as there are today. If you wanted a larger knife, you bought a Military or Police. If you wanted a medium knife, you bought a Delica. (And yes, it was likely going to be a "plain-jane" of any of those models because there weren't as many "flavors" to choose from as there are now). There weren't as many Sprint Runs as there are today. Also, Exclusives and Flash Batches did not yet exist. I don't remember too many people modifying their Spydercos back then either. A model like the original CPM-440V Starmate would cost about $102 and Militaries were just a little less. Meerkats were $39. You could buy Ladybugs all day for around $18. At one time, the original C22 Spyderco/KLÖTZLI collaboration on Michael Walker's design was perhaps the most expensive model at around $350 new. (That was far and above what I could afford on my high school budget back then). There were plenty of models (and I mean plenty!) that I always thought would be around for a long time, so I never took the opportunity to buy them. Of course, they were eventually discontinued and are now harder to find than hen's teeth on the secondary market. I kick myself now in retrospect, haha. Beyond that, I do miss a number of the good folks who use to frequent here on a regular basis, like KrazieKurtis, Samo, Kahz, Clay Kesting, Sword & Shield, to name a few. I hope they are well and enjoying a good life, wherever they may be.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I know my orientation has changed over the past 15. It used to be I'd buy a Spyderco based on design, and didn't pay too much attention to the steel. Back then, we discussed design on the forum quite a bit, steel not so much. We didn't have loads of steel options 15 years ago. Fast forward, and if there's a design I adore that's not in a PM steel, I typically won't buy it. So steel has become the focus in my purchase decisions of late, and that is certainly a reaction to more steels becoming available. I don't think I'm unusual in that re-orientation.

I'm not defending this. Just saying it is what it is. I wonder if Sal and crew knew we customers would become so picky about steel when they started offering the cornucopia of steels they offer today.

It would be interesting to get Sal's take on how his customer has changed over the past several decades.

I don't know how Sal keeps his pleasant demeanor with customers. If I were in his shoes, I'd be all: "Shut up, I know what I'm doing and you don't. You have opinions and I have experience." But that's not his style, bless him.
Last edited by Bolster on Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Bolster you're not wrong. Everybody's different. Some may feel that way about the upcoming "high performance" Delica.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Im still new here but I will add my opinion. There isnt to many good reviews here on knives. Its like someone buys the knife, takes pictures of it and you never hear about it again. Id like to see more in use pictures, getting dirty, hard use and how it performed.

Also there is way too many requests asking "whos in for this knife in this steel or scale material" when I havent even seen the stock VG10 or S30V in use.

"How about a smaller version of this" or "How about a Larger version"

When I search out a knife, gun, cordless drill, etc. , I want to see people talking how good or bad it performs, not just a bunch of forum members saying its great and posting pictures in a pretty environment.
olywa

Post by olywa »

I've changed. I have a greater knowledge and appreciation of design, metallurgy, and sharpening because of my exposure to all the varied experiences of forum members who are willing to share. I keep coming back because I have an inquisitive mind and I keep learning here.

The constant through all of this is that this forum has always been a civil place for the exchange of ideas and knowledge. That is a rare thing these days. Thank you Sal.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I'm not an old timer, so everyone's recollections of the olden days are lost upon me. Yes, thank you Sal. But let's not forget Kristi and Mike... and all you users who make it interesting.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I don't think it's changed that much except the knives have gotten better if you like all the technical stuff. I think a lot of content has been off loaded to youtube reviews and Knife Steel Nerds. Seems like I check in daily just to keep up with the new knives coming up. So it's a little more of a marketing experience now. People come and go, I don't think that's a reflection on the forum so much as how much time they have.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I also have bin around since the reset of 2004. But i did take a break between 2017/2021.
The Forum changed allot since the days i got here. Spyderco did as wel. Sadly not all changes were good. I miss allot of good people that where around in the beginning.
I was only a 14 year old kid with a chinook 2 back in 2004 so I listened more and spoke less but man the forum back then was amazing it was a real fun place and the mood was much more positive to.

Then i remember there was the first super steels era with Cliff Stamp and Ankerson arguing all the time.
Cliff was not an easy guy on the forum floor but send him a pm to explain his things better and he was very kind. At least to me he was.
Around the same time Spyderco started with there model increase new models were made at such a high rate nobody could buy them all because every 2 weeks there were new ones popping out of no were and they were all amazing! This went on for a few years on the forum and Spyderco itself. Because almost all topics went over the new designs.

Then i took my break with buying a house and all the work and money that when in it and when i finally returned well a just few of my friends where still around but most vanished. I heard there was a dark time on the forum and many members clashed as far as i know a kinda old vs new situation. And it would not surprise me to be the trued since the forum did get an entirely different mentality compared to the old days.
People had a tougher skin in the early days of the forum and a better sense of humor.
Even Sal himself changed allot. He used to be the most calm and inspirational person i have ever seen.
But since I returned even he is showing cracks in his calmness so i do not know what happend here and in a way i do not want to know.
I do met some new amazing like minded friends like Dan and Robin. So i am very thankful for that.

Now true the lack of many new designs the forum is 3/4 th of the time only about steels anymore.
And if i honest i love my Manixes in s30v and eventough i would love more inhouse Manix sprints in all sizes talking about steels all day is not my cup of tea. For example I will buy the 15v sprint because i love the design , i love that its got a new sprint i want more of that. But i do not really care about the details of the carbides and stuff like that i just want to feel how it feels in use and sharpening. So i skip treads like that and let the fun be for the people who are interested.

But as an ending i do want to say this. I love this forum and i love Spyderco. And i am so glad its around to be with people that have the same hobby even with all the differences in flavors its still an amazing place with amazing people.

Also dear Bolster i find the self defense topic also declining but as far as i remember the topic was always kinda glued to the coming of new designs. Since that is dead in the water its kinda normal that topic is not so frequently visited no more.
Last edited by apollo on Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:24 am, edited 3 times in total.