Best Spydercos for Pumpkin Carving?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MFlovejp

Best Spydercos for Pumpkin Carving?

Post by MFlovejp »

ZDP Delica and a P4 did the trick for me- both ground to about 30 degrees. Happy Halloween!
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Mushroom

Re: Best Spydercos for Pumpkin Carving?

Post by Mushroom »

Nice work!

I’ve entered a few carving contests over the past couple years, and surprisingly the Roadie and McBee have been my most used for pumpkin carving.

I carved a small pumpkin a couple weeks ago with my nieces using only the Lil Native. Worked well enough for the simple jack-o-lantern.

I’m going to be carving another one either tomorrow or Friday for another pumpkin carving contest.
Last edited by Mushroom on Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Nick :bug-red
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Mule knife all the way!
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

We’ve got some ringers here.

Nice work!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i knew nick would be all over this one. nice work!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I don't own one, but I bet a Wharncliffe delica with serrations would be the perfect knife for the job.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Ohh, good question. How about the Watu? I may try that one unless it would be too hard use.

Strong work Nick!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Something small for control and a thin blade because pumpkins are hard. I’d probably pick a Delica or Native. For me, what the native gives up in blade geometry it makes up for in controllable ergonomics.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:15 pm
i knew nick would be all over this one. nice work!
:grin-squint Hehe! I need to get another one done before the weekend, so I’ll be sure to post that one too!

JSumm wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:40 pm
Ohh, good question. How about the Watu? I may try that one unless it would be too hard use.

Strong work Nick!
Thanks Jeff!

I think the Watu would be a good choice for pumpkin carving. It has a nice thin and slicey blade.
James Y

Post by James Y »

According to Frank Black, lead character of the '90s show Millennium, a SE Delica.

The knife appears from about 1:10:

https://youtu.be/l44yv9scoK4

Jim
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I bagged four pumpkins today and carved them up with a Police 4 SE K390. Rather than go with the Jack-O-Lantern style that seems to be so popular, I chose the Hemispherical Style as shown in the picture. Tomorrow the Hemispherical Style pumpkins will be converted to Cuboidal Style pumpkins, otherwise known as loaves of pumpkin bread.
IMG_8563.jpeg
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:58 pm
I bagged four pumpkins today and carved them up with a Police 4 SE K390. Rather than go with the Jack-O-Lantern style that seems to be so popular, I chose the Hemispherical Style as shown in the picture. Tomorrow the Hemispherical Style pumpkins will be converted to Cuboidal Style pumpkins, otherwise known as loaves of pumpkin bread.

IMG_8563.jpeg
I’ve been thinking about trying to make pumpkin bread (I love it, but haven’t made any myself).
Recently made some edible banana bread with my Dad, which was a lot of fun, so I think this could be the next thing we make.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Might take a stab at this with my serrated Byrd Cara 2 Wharnie.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sadly I really don't use knives for pumpkins, they're all far too thick unless you're doing a classic jack-o'-lantern style triangle cut. I'll use a small blade like a Ladybug to get inside the cuts afterwards and clean them out but not to do the actual carving.

I probably could done the teeth with a thinner blade like a Catcherman but most of my knives have too thick blade stock to cut small curves like the eyes.
20221027_051658.jpg
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don't know if it was the 'best' knife for the job, but the only time I ever carved a pumpkin for Halloween was late '90s, and I used my first Endura, a combo edge in AUS-8, and it did fine.

Jim
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:18 am
Sadly I really don't use knives for pumpkins, they're all far too thick unless you're doing a classic jack-o'-lantern style triangle cut. I'll use a small blade like a Ladybug to get inside the cuts afterwards and clean them out but not to do the actual carving.

I probably could done the teeth with a thinner blade like a Catcherman but most of my knives have too thick blade stock to cut small curves like the eyes.
20221027_051658.jpg
I agree, that’s also one thing I’ve learned while carving pumpkins. Most knives are too thick and are really just not the best option. I pretty much force myself to use Spyderco knives while carving, just because I want to say that’s what I used… there are much better tools for the job though.

All of my carvings have been helped by something other than a Spyderco knife. X-acto blades are awesome for detail work and making really thin cuts.
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

Nick, your imagination & pumpkin carving skills are top notch. Wow!!! So very :cheap-sunglasses
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Cl1ff wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:23 am
RustyIron wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:58 pm

IMG_8563.jpeg
I’ve been thinking about trying to make pumpkin bread (I love it, but haven’t made any myself).
Recently made some edible banana bread with my Dad, which was a lot of fun, so I think this could be the next thing we make.
I've started making banana bread for the first time a few weeks ago! (I reckon it's the same idea with a very moist fruit + grain combo zucchini, pumpkin, etc). Haven't been following a recipe, but mostly used dark rye flour, a few whole oats, and a bit of regular flour. Turns out surprisingly not bad! Used more egg than normal for a binder since it was such a loose dough, and some psyllium husk for moisture retention and structure (like the fiber in FRN? hah). The extra "heft" of the fiberous whole grains really held up to a perhaps excessive amount of added spices. Really, I don't know how wheat replaces rye as our default flour when ergot poisioning hasn't been a concern for like 200 years.

The biggest take aways for me were use lots of butter (Like a whole stick per two cups of flour). Molasses tastes better than sugar, especially if you use B/"Full Flavor" instead of blackstrap. Really, not much sugar is needed to get some sweetness. And spices do a lot. Nutmeg, cardamom, allspice, etc were welcome additions and didn't taste too pumpkin spice if you keep the nutmeg as the highest proportion.

Did you have any findings with the banana bread making? Always looking to tweak and improve stuff. And I'm pretty new to baking (been cooking for decades, but baking it seems is a different animal)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I can't believe everyone has missed the best four:

C242 Ikuchi, C25 Centofante, C153 Des Horn, K09 Mini Paring knife.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal