Sal - will there be an Aqua Salt successor?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Sal - will there be an Aqua Salt successor?

Post by vivi »

The Aqua Salt had a nice long run. About 15 years if memory is correct.

As folks here know, it's on this years discontinued list.

We know you've mentioned over the years the molds for the handle were pretty beat up, so it was a matter of time for this model.

Will there be a comparable model coming out soon? Maybe the enuff 2 in H1 or H2? Or a new model we haven't heard of yet?

Big fan of the Aqua Salt, and made sure I ordered enough to keep them around for decades. Thanks for introducing me to it!
:unicorn
Evil D

Re: Sal - will there be an Aqua Salt successor?

Post by Evil D »

I think if they do the Enuff 2 in a Salt it'll be pretty close.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Do the Aqua Salt in LC200N. Simple. I like the knife, but a steel change is in order.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:50 am
Do the Aqua Salt in LC200N. Simple. I like the knife, but a steel change is in order.
That may not be possible. This is a post from Sal in June of this year.

In the thread - “Aqua Salt with other steels? Would you be interested?
sal wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:33 pm
Actually the molds for the Aqua Salt are shot and we're considering disco'ing the model rather than make new molds.

sal
-Nick :bug-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:15 am
weird... i could've sworn the enuff 2 was going to be in lc200n like the subway bowie. :thinking
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:51 am
Evil D wrote:
weird... i could've sworn the enuff 2 was going to be in lc200n like the subway bowie. :thinking

Yeah my bad I wasn't thinking in terms of steel, just size and general ergonomics.
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

while the enuff 2 sounds really nice, one thing I really appreciated about the Aqua Salt was the light weight. 4.5" blade and fewer ounces than that. Not much heavier than an izula 2 in fact.

with the nuff 2 being full tang i suspect itll be closer to 5oz. Which isn't bad by any means, but it is heavier than the Aqua.
olywa

Post by olywa »

If memory serves, I believe that the Enuff2 will have thinner blade stock than the Enuff. That and a skeletonized tang could mitigate some of the weight gain. However I hope the Enuff2 handle gets another half inch in length.

But the Aquasalt represents a size to weight ratio that is going to be hard to match.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:09 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:51 am
Evil D wrote:

Yeah my bad I wasn't thinking in terms of steel, just size and general ergonomics.
no. i checked after seeing your post and it's listed as vg10. i thought it was going to be lc200n. i must have just been mistaken. that does make the aqua salt even more appealing.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

What is great about the aqua salt is the over all design, but especially the handle. The ergos are really good.

I dont think anything besides an aqua salt 2 would be an appropriate replacement.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I waited too long to look for a yellow Aqua Salt, searched high and low, and never found one. But I really, really like the handle of the OG Enuff series, so I'm all in for an Enuff 2 Salt with a bright handle and uncoated blade, whenever that happens. It's just a matter of time, like the Stretch 2 XL Salt.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:50 am
while the enuff 2 sounds really nice, one thing I really appreciated about the Aqua Salt was the light weight. 4.5" blade and fewer ounces than that. Not much heavier than an izula 2 in fact.

with the nuff 2 being full tang i suspect itll be closer to 5oz. Which isn't bad by any means, but it is heavier than the Aqua.

I'd like to know exactly how much steel is in that handle. One reason I'd choose a fixie is for strength so I definitely lean towards full tangs unless the steel goes a good way into that handle, and the handle is just molded around it. This was a big deciding factor in choosing the Jumpmaster 2 instead.
~David
phaust

Post by phaust »

Edit: misread sorry
Last edited by phaust on Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I hope so!
Is there anything you’d like to see in a potential successor, Vivi?
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:46 pm
vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:50 am

I'd like to know exactly how much steel is in that handle. One reason I'd choose a fixie is for strength so I definitely lean towards full tangs unless the steel goes a good way into that handle, and the handle is just molded around it. This was a big deciding factor in choosing the Jumpmaster 2 instead.
Doc answered that awhile back:
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:35 am
It is a 2/3 or 3/4 tang. You can see it at about 3.43 on this video : https://youtu.be/MoN990sArb8
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:29 pm
I hope so!
Bear in mind I use my Aqua Salts more as a general purpose outdoors knife, and utility work while at home. I've taken it fishing a handful of times, and I've never gone diving or snorkling.

So for me it has always filled more of a bushcraft role than dive knife.

With that in mind I could see a slightly less aggressive handle texture being a good thing. The shape of the handle is quite secure without any texturing, and the bi-directional texturing is a bit much for extensive whittling. The texture makes perfect sense for the intended role though.

No sharpening choil. Not sure why it has one when most spydies don't. It's a small, mellow one so things rarely get hung up on it, but I'd still prefer to see it go.

Partial tang is great, I'd prefer to see that stay. I've batoned the **** out of mine, chopped with it, thrown it at tree stumps etc. Never had a toughness issue.

Full tang would just make the knife heavier with no added benefit in my eyes. The incredible size to weight ratio is one of the reasons I've stuck with this knife over heavier full tang knives from ESEE, Bark River, Swamp Rat etc. In fact just today I held my Aqua Salt and Cold Steel SRK side by side before heading out to the woods. Went with the Aqua Salt because its so much lighter and does everything the SRK would have done for me.

Sheath is great. Maybe a taco style one like the Waterway would be nice but the original Aqua Salt sheath has been problem free for over a decade for me. Can't say that about nearly any other sheath I have....leather has needed treatment, kydex has needed heat gunning to fix retention issues, etc., but this one has been a tank.

I'd be fine with H2 and hollow grind. Same blade shape and grind besides the sharpening notch. If we're talking new steels I'd want to see a full flat grind in something tough like LC200N or magnacut. Green handle would be nice if that's the route things went.

Keep the tip fairly stout for rougher use. I like being able to pry apart old pine stumps with it to access fatwood.

There's not much I'd change in a 2.0 to be honest.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I’ve been looking at this FB for quite some time . Time to stop thinking about it and just do it . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:07 pm
Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:29 pm
I hope so!
Bear in mind I use my Aqua Salts more as a general purpose outdoors knife, and utility work while at home. I've taken it fishing a handful of times, and I've never gone diving or snorkling.

So for me it has always filled more of a bushcraft role than dive knife.

With that in mind I could see a slightly less aggressive handle texture being a good thing. The shape of the handle is quite secure without any texturing, and the bi-directional texturing is a bit much for extensive whittling. The texture makes perfect sense for the intended role though.

No sharpening choil. Not sure why it has one when most spydies don't. It's a small, mellow one so things rarely get hung up on it, but I'd still prefer to see it go.

Partial tang is great, I'd prefer to see that stay. I've batoned the **** out of mine, chopped with it, thrown it at tree stumps etc. Never had a toughness issue.

Full tang would just make the knife heavier with no added benefit in my eyes. The incredible size to weight ratio is one of the reasons I've stuck with this knife over heavier full tang knives from ESEE, Bark River, Swamp Rat etc. In fact just today I held my Aqua Salt and Cold Steel SRK side by side before heading out to the woods. Went with the Aqua Salt because its so much lighter and does everything the SRK would have done for me.

Sheath is great. Maybe a taco style one like the Waterway would be nice but the original Aqua Salt sheath has been problem free for over a decade for me. Can't say that about nearly any other sheath I have....leather has needed treatment, kydex has needed heat gunning to fix retention issues, etc., but this one has been a tank.

I'd be fine with H2 and hollow grind. Same blade shape and grind besides the sharpening notch. If we're talking new steels I'd want to see a full flat grind in something tough like LC200N or magnacut. Green handle would be nice if that's the route things went.

Keep the tip fairly stout for rougher use. I like being able to pry apart old pine stumps with it to access fatwood.

There's not much I'd change in a 2.0 to be honest.
That all sounds rather reasonable to me.
For my uses, there's not much I'd change either.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I remember seeing an x-ray of an aqua salt handle a long time ago. The partial tang seemed to go 3/4 of the way to the back of the handle. That handle is molded on as well so even abuse isnt going to work it loose. Its not like its some pinned hidden tang handle from 60 years ago.

The only thing the aqua salt ever needed was a steel upgrade. I have 2 serrated ones just so that I know they will always cut. Currently waiting on a plain edge one just to have it. Im not anti plain edge h1, honestly for my uses I appreciate an easy to sharpen steel, even if I do have to sharpen it more. But, objectively, in the scope of things a steel upgrade would go a long way for people who prefer plain edge.

A magnacut Aqua Salt 2 would be the ultimate fixed blade for me.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:02 am
I remember seeing an x-ray of an aqua salt handle a long time ago. The partial tang seemed to go 3/4 of the way to the back of the handle. That handle is molded on as well so even abuse isnt going to work it loose. Its not like its some pinned hidden tang handle from 60 years ago.

The only thing the aqua salt ever needed was a steel upgrade. I have 2 serrated ones just so that I know they will always cut. Currently waiting on a plain edge one just to have it. Im not anti plain edge h1, honestly for my uses I appreciate an easy to sharpen steel, even if I do have to sharpen it more. But, objectively, in the scope of things a steel upgrade would go a long way for people who prefer plain edge.

A magnacut Aqua Salt 2 would be the ultimate fixed blade for me.
Hard to argue with that.