Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Re: Chaparral

Post by RamZar »

Saucerito wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:20 pm
Any word on the status of the serrated version and if it will have similar “wavy” serrations as the Caribbean?

Chaparral SpyderEdge is “Coming Soon”…

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:28 am
Hi Warstein,

Regarding the future of models, my crystal ball needs glasses. The success of a model, to keep it in the line, is a matter of demand. There are a few exceptions made for law enforcement, but in general, if the market does not want it enough to support the inventory, then it has to go. That doesn't mean it's a bad product, design or poor quality, it just means the market to support it is not large enough. (A lesson for you entrepreneurs).

If we end up with other steels, it will be in the FRN model. I would like your thoughts on that.

Hey Paul,

That was a very difficult design to create and execute. It was supposed to be the first version, but it was taking too long to refine so we used the Carbon version first. It was supposed to be my intro to the design. .007 difference in height from the low points to the high points, and balancing the design took weeks. And very challenging to machine. The design was based on the "Stealth Bomber". It ended up more costly that hoped, which I believe contributed to the lower sales.

sal
Hey Sal, appreciate the feedback and insights. I can fully imagine the difficulties of an intricate design like this or the stepped Ti version. I'm keeping good care of this one as it's just a work of art.
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

I could see adding a black coated XHP blade in orange, dark blue, white, etc FRN chaparral to the herd…..
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ramzar,

Nice pic. No curved lines. All straight. Optical illusion.

sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:02 pm
Hi Ramzar,

Nice pic. No curved lines. All straight. Optical illusion.

sal

Wow! I had to go back and look at Ramzar's photo to verify...yep, not a curved line inscribed anywhere. Trippy!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Other than the Stepped Titanium scales on the Chaparral, I really like the solid Fluted Carbon Fiber scales on the Native which is linerless. That would be awesome on a new Chaparral model. It has texture and looks great! It’d be super-light and super-thin without liners.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Love the fluted native and it would be cool to see the chaparral similarly equipped.

I'm surprised the chaparral isn't a big seller. It's an amazing design and one of their more attractive knives in my eyes. There's no accounting for taste, I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I’m all for the FRN Chaparral in different steels, serrations, TiCN coated blade and a blacked-out version too. It’ll keep the Chaparral line going. However, a new fancy handle material once every couple of years would be the icing on the cake.
Last edited by RamZar on Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fixall

Post by fixall »

I think focusing on steel with the Chaparral LW is a fantastic idea. Especially now that there are multiple CNC scale makers that are making high quality scales for the Chaparral LW from all kinds of materials.

I’m not usually a fan of serrated knives, but that chaparral looks like a winner! With the thin stock that the chaparral has, it’s going to be an absolute beast for certain cutting tasks. Count me in!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:28 am
Hi Warstein,

Regarding the future of models, my crystal ball needs glasses. The success of a model, to keep it in the line, is a matter of demand. There are a few exceptions made for law enforcement, but in general, if the market does not want it enough to support the inventory, then it has to go. That doesn't mean it's a bad product, design or poor quality, it just means the market to support it is not large enough. (A lesson for you entrepreneurs).

If we end up with other steels, it will be in the FRN model. I would like your thoughts on that.

Sal, thanks for the reply and insight!

Regarding other steels for the Chap:

- You know, I personally am perfectly happy with XHP. Works very well for me!
My two "dreams" concerning the Chap have always been a serrated version and a longer version (keeping everything (thinness, height of blade and handle..) the same, just "stretch" the knife to about Endela size).
The first "dream" will come true anyway it seems ;)

- "More steel options" to me has always been about generally making more people try this model and by that enhancing its popularity.

To me the Chap is not "just" another great Spyderco model, but actually a unique concept in the lineup with its 2mm ffg blade that still is surprisingly strong, its solid "heavy" built which ends up being not that heavy cause everything is so thin, its amazing, locked in ergos despite the superthin carry, its optimal blade to handle ratio and of course the great backlock.
I think if more folks could be "brought to" somehow really try that "concept", a vast majority would come to appreciate those features and want one in their array of real users (and have a great "gents knife" on top too).

Now in the thread I started once asking for inputs about more steels, bladeshapes and so on for the Chap (viewtopic.php?p=1614611#p1614611) as was to be expected people wanted a Salt version (Magnacut... but I don´t know if they do this in Taichung) and then several folks mentioned a K390 Chap.

And in fact I do think basically this is what could give the Chap FRN a "boost":

- A rustproof Salt version (I would want it in SE and high viz, this would be a great, small mountaineering folder)

- And a high edge retention variant. K390 would be a great choice there I guess (but again I don´t know if they would do that in Taichung - and "moving" the Chap production to Japan or the US is not an option, I guess). For that version a "classy" handle color like dark burgundy red or whatever would be fitting imo.
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Just felt like posting a pic of this great model - an old one, actually taken when I had my Chap for only a short time.
Love this knife and would encourage everyone to try one. It´s something special imo.

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

I'd really love to see a simple, single color G10 version (maybe the "smooth" variant like certain Native models) of the Chaparral join the FRN version as a utility-oriented version of the knife.

Despite owning 40+ Spyderco's over the years, and owning the complete collection of Chaparral handle runs, I still always find myself going back to the Chaparral, particularly the FRN version because it just works.

When it comes to steels, I can take it or leave it. CTS-XHP is more than adequate for me, but given a magic wand, given the steels available at Taichung, I'd make a salt version in LC200N.
Last edited by DansGearAddiction on Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DansGearAddiction wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:45 am
I'd really love to see a simple, single color G10 version (maybe the "smooth" variant like certain Native models) of the Chaparral join the FRN version as a utility-oriented version of the knife.

Despite owning 40+ Spyderco's over the years, and owning the complete collection of Chaparral handle runs, I still always find myself going back to the Chaparral, particularly the FRN version because it just works.

Like that idea!

An affordable, "simple" "beater" model for those who prefer G10 over FRN could also help in making more folks try and appreciate the Chap (-concept).
The sun and moon is (was... :/ ) really nice G10, but perhaps TOO nice for some for a user knife.

/ And yes, just for real work and when one wants to or has to use a small folder the Chap is hard to beat
Perhaps for very prolongued use a thicker handle is better, but for the typical folder tasks the thin Chap handle works great and makes the knife sit really stable in hand
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:13 am
The sun and moon is (was... :/ ) really nice G10, but perhaps TOO nice for some for a user knife.

/ And yes, just for real work and when one wants to or has to use a small folder the Chap is hard to beat
Perhaps for very prolongued use a thicker handle is better, but for the typical folder tasks the thin Chap handle works great and makes the knife sit really stable in hand
I share your sentiment regarding using the premium handle versions; though I also get worried about carrying and losing my Ti ones (since they are getting harder to find... and more expensive), so those are relegated for chores around the house.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Flash

Post by Flash »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:57 pm
Just felt like posting a pic of this great model - an old one, actually taken when I had my Chap for only a short time.
Love this knife and would encourage everyone to try one. It´s something special imo.

I agree, I personally think it’s one of the best knives Spyderco offers. I’ve owned my FRN version since they were first released and it would be the last Spyderco in my collection that I would sell, and that’s coming from a person that doesn’t particularly like FRN and managed to rust the CTS-XHP.

An underrated gem.

I’d love to see more steels and a solid G10 version. Magnacut and yellow G10 would be out of this world. :smlling-eyes
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

DansGearAddiction wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:45 am

When it comes to steels, I can take it or leave it. CTS-XHP is more than adequate for me, but given a magic wand, given the steels available at Taichung, I'd make a salt version in LC200N.
I'd be interested in a simple G10 variant as well, favoring the fine-texture G10 used on the 2018 backlock Manix 2.

I had and sold an FRN Chaparral because it snagged on my pocket going in and out. (Interestingly, I had the same problem with the Sage LW but find the Manix LW and Delica to be OK.)

In terms of steel, XHP is fine, but Magnacut or SPY27 would be of interest.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:57 pm

Wow, love to see photo of Chap being used :clapping-hands ! I know you are promoting Chap as a workhorse and I couldn`t agree more than that this is really fantastic hard work slicing machine in very compact package. This knife will be second model I will have multiple versions\pieces of (first being Urban).
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’m aware that the Chaparral LW FRN model was introduced as a way of offering less expensive variations of color, steel, edge, etc. but I still personally hold a lot of value in the overall consistency the Chaparral has had to this point.

“All knives in this series share the same basic characteristics - a full-flat-ground, leaf-shaped blade crafted from CTS XHP stainless steel, a sturdy backlock mechanism, a reversible deep-pocket wire clip, a symmetrical design that is equally at home in both the left and right hand. Each version, however, proudly showcases a distinct handle material or treatment that gives it a unique character within the breed.”

Even with the Chaparral LW being a bit of a departure from that, the series has mostly maintained a certain level of scientific control and integrity that I would like to see continue for as long as possible.

In other words, I would like to see all new Chaparral variations (That are not the Chaparral LW) remain consistent with those prior and ONLY feature a new handle material or finish.

(I’m not trying to tell Spyderco what to do. This is just my personal preference.)

:respect :bug-white-red

(Edits for clarity)
Last edited by Mushroom on Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:21 am
I’m aware that the Chaparral LW FRN model was introduced as a way of offering less expensive variations of color, steel, edge, etc. but I still personally hold a lot of value in the overall consistency the Chaparral has had to this point.

“All knives in this series share the same basic characteristics - a full-flat-ground, leaf-shaped blade crafted from CTS XHP stainless steel, a sturdy backlock mechanism, a reversible deep-pocket wire clip, a symmetrical design that is equally at home in both the left and right hand. Each version, however, proudly showcases a distinct handle material or treatment that gives it a unique character within the breed.”

Even with the Chaparral LW being a bit of a departure from that, the series has mostly maintained a certain level of scientific control and integrity that I would like to see continue for as long as possible.

In other words, I would like to see all new Chaparral variations remain consistent with those prior and ONLY feature a new handle material or finish.

:respect :bug-white

Nick, you know from our previous discussions on this topic that I can really see and appreciate your point. I think with most other models I´d be completely with you here.

In case of the Chap though I was actually glad when Sal decided to open up the project and the concept by saying: "I made the FRN version because I felt there was a market for a less expensive utility version. This also offers opportunity for colors, exclusive variations and who knows what else. I'm currently testing a serrated version, which is performing well."viewtopic.php?p=1613132#p1613132 and by now asking for opinions concerning steel options.

Why do I appreciate this especially with the Chap?
Well, cause there is not really another knife / concept in Spydercos lineup combining all the Chap features which I´ve already listed quite often.

Even more so, if steel (color...) variants could help in actually KEEPING the platform "alive" and in the lineup - and I am sure at least a Salt version in MC would do just that.

With the Chap it imo really is about that folks who actually use their knives get one in hand and try it with that focus: As a user, as an optimized small and supersturdy cutting tool with an extremely convenient carry, more than as a collectors piece with different handle materials or as "just" a gents knife.

Sure: Another very good option, and the one you´d prefer as far as I recall would be: Create another model combining the Chap features so that the Chap itself can stay true to the original idea.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

In the short term, what the Chaparral line needs are more FRN models in different colors, different steels, etc. That will help keep the line alive. Then, one “fancy” handle material every couple of years.

Short Term:
— MagnaCut PlainEdge Yellow FRN
— MagnaCut SpyderEdge Yellow FRN
— SPY27 Blue FRN
— K390 Blue FRN

Medium Term:
— XHP Polished G-10
— XHP Textured G-10
— XHP Fluted CF