Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CDEP

Re: Chaparral

Post by CDEP »

sal wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:24 pm
So, for the sake of conversation, on the frn version, whaddayouwant?

Colors, Steels or specific combinations?

sal
My first choice would be Cru-Wear, but that has never been used in Taichung as far as I know. M4 was used in the BHQ Sage 5, and that would be a great alt to Cru-Wear. Instant buy. And if SPY27 is headed to Taichung I'd grab a Chap FRN in it as well. Colors are not important to me. Black would be fine.

I have them all so far, and I have no issues with XHP. It's a fine steel. I love and carry them all.
Brian
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The recent GB2 exclusive is in Cruwear, so there’s at least one Taichung model that’s used that steel. I’d love to see basically any new Chap variant, whatever the flavor of steel or handle. As many folks have pointed out, aftermarket scale options are pretty good for this model, plus there’s always the option to blade swap your favorite steel into your favorite handle. I’ve done a few with existing Chap models (blade swaps into different handles).
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I have a feeling the last two remaining non-FRN Chaparral folders (Raffir Noble & Birdseye Maple) will be in the 2025 Discontinued List which will be announced later this year. Chaparral CF/G-10 and Sun & Moon were discontinued in August 2023 as part of the 2024 Official Discontinued List.

The unique aspect of both Raffir Noble & Birdseye Maple is that the scales look different from one sample to another.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:12 pm
I have a feeling the last two remaining non-FRN Chaparral folders (Raffir Noble & Birdseye Maple) will be in the 2025 Discontinued List which will be announced later this year. Chaparral CF/G-10 and Sun & Moon were discontinued in August 2023 as part of the 2024 Official Discontinued List.

The unique aspect of both Raffir Noble & Birdseye Maple is that the scales look different from one sample to another.

The FRN version is my personal perfect Chap already (and especially will be in SE!) since to me this model is a real user and beater knife.

Still.... I´ll have to grab a maple variant before they´re potentially gone... love wood scales and the Chap, it must be so nice to hold this thing in hand and put it to use... :smirk
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cjk

Post by cjk »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:36 pm
The recent GB2 exclusive is in Cruwear, so there’s at least one Taichung model that’s used that steel. I’d love to see basically any new Chap variant, whatever the flavor of steel or handle. As many folks have pointed out, aftermarket scale options are pretty good for this model, plus there’s always the option to blade swap your favorite steel into your favorite handle. I’ve done a few with existing Chap models (blade swaps into different handles).
There was a DLT exclusive Cruwear Tuff also.
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:21 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:26 pm
Even as it is now, Ripp's Garage Tech offers Chaparral scales in over 20 different varieties of micarta, 5 colors of G10, amber translucent Ultem, and black Ultem. They then offer 5 different texture patterns on those materials.

The scales from Ripp’s Garage Tech look great! Here’s the G-10 ones:

I picked these up, however, they are ONLY compatible with the older CF Chaparral BEFORE the clip screw position was changed. They weren't compatible with my CF Chaparral, which is a shame because the quality was excellent. They don't fit any other Chaparrals with full liners, like the Raffir Noble either.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

RGT is well aware of the two different Chap clip positions because I pointed it out to him and there have been discussions of that here on the forum. You need to specify which clip position you have when ordering from him. Hope that helps. Cheers, Radioactive l
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:29 am
RGT is well aware of the two different Chap clip positions because I pointed it out to him and there have been discussions of that here on the forum. You need to specify which clip position you have when ordering from him. Hope that helps. Cheers, Radioactive l
I can attest to this. He required a photo of my Chap before he would make the scales. They turned out very nice, BTW. Dirty green micarta.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Is Ultem easy to drill, sand, and trim out?

Any special considerations working with it?

I'm thinking of doing something similar as my other 2 Chaps:

What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

paladin wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:24 am
...thinking of doing something similar as my other 2 Chaps...

^ I like the holes! You did this yourself? Nice job. Do the holes aid in gripping the knife?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
paladin

Post by paladin »

thanks,

...if you consider paying for having it done as "did" it myself, then, yes, I "did" it myself. :winking-tongue

it does help a little bit with indexing when opening...

And I can kinda rest the tippy top of my fingertips in there at other times.

So if we were to compare non-holey vs. holey mod, I'd consider I can get a slightly better grip with the holes than without-- but mostly I wanted it done for the aesthetics.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:51 pm
PaloArt wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:04 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:41 pm
sal wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:24 pm
So, for the sake of conversation, on the frn version, whaddayouwant?

Colors, Steels or specific combinations?

sal

- Bright handle, rustproof "outdoor" version (and also marketed as that: A super slim and small, very slicey, but "bombproof - ly" built highly efficient cutting tool for small outdoor and other tasks- so in this version deliberately NOT focussing on the "gents knife aspect").

- High edge retention version: K390 or whatever is the most convenient "hard" steel for Taichung and a "classy" handle color like emerald green or dark burgundy red

Just my layman 2c, cause you asked, Sal, and I really admire the Chap platform! :smlling-eyes
What Wartstein highlighted here is great, especially on k390 version... Outdoor marketed one as is intriguing as well :smiling-heart-eyes
Yes, the "Chap is only a light duty gents knife" - thing to me is a bit like "serrations are hard to sharpen".. something people repeat over and over again, but if they actually tried in the right ways they'd see this is not the case.

Where the Chap is great for example:

If one carries a larger fixed blade in the outdoors, but pairs it for all the smaller bushcraft and other tasks with the a lot more convenient (and slicier!) for that Chaparral.

I sometimes call it a little "bushcraft claw" - the Chap sits so nicely in the hand, just like a "sixth finger" that can cut extremely well.
Plus feels really solid and completely disappears in pocket with its superslim carry when not being needed.
Favorite folder for me as well. As you say, even as a smaller bushcraft blade in combo with fixed blade it is absolutely fantastic. I would like to see same design in longer version as well :discguised , Chaparral XL would be my dream Spyderco.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PaloArt wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:15 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:51 pm
PaloArt wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:04 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:41 pm

- Bright handle, rustproof "outdoor" version (and also marketed as that: A super slim and small, very slicey, but "bombproof - ly" built highly efficient cutting tool for small outdoor and other tasks- so in this version deliberately NOT focussing on the "gents knife aspect").

- High edge retention version: K390 or whatever is the most convenient "hard" steel for Taichung and a "classy" handle color like emerald green or dark burgundy red

Just my layman 2c, cause you asked, Sal, and I really admire the Chap platform! :smlling-eyes
What Wartstein highlighted here is great, especially on k390 version... Outdoor marketed one as is intriguing as well :smiling-heart-eyes
Yes, the "Chap is only a light duty gents knife" - thing to me is a bit like "serrations are hard to sharpen".. something people repeat over and over again, but if they actually tried in the right ways they'd see this is not the case.

Where the Chap is great for example:

If one carries a larger fixed blade in the outdoors, but pairs it for all the smaller bushcraft and other tasks with the a lot more convenient (and slicier!) for that Chaparral.

I sometimes call it a little "bushcraft claw" - the Chap sits so nicely in the hand, just like a "sixth finger" that can cut extremely well.
Plus feels really solid and completely disappears in pocket with its superslim carry when not being needed.
Favorite folder for me as well. As you say, even as a smaller bushcraft blade in combo with fixed blade it is absolutely fantastic. I would like to see same design in longer version as well :discguised , Chaparral XL would be my dream Spyderco.
:grin-big eyes You are my man!

- The current FRN Chap IS an amazing little hard use (for a folder!) bushcraft claw indeed, it´s just that not many folks try it in that capacity...

- Chap XL (everthing remains the same (blade and handle height, blade and handle thinness), just longer - Endela size) would be so great.
Here is one of "my" threads about just that viewtopic.php?p=1377379#p1377379
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Haha, I know that thread actually and I am a big supporter of your enthusiastic promotion of that idea! As you say, same knife, same blade thinness just longer... That would really be something I would instantly buy
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:46 pm
RamZar wrote:

The FRN version is my personal perfect Chap already (and especially will be in SE!) since to me this model is a real user and beater knife.

Still.... I´ll have to grab a maple variant before they´re potentially gone... love wood scales and the Chap, it must be so nice to hold this thing in hand and put it to use... :smirk
The FRN is my favorite too and today I used it all day from cutting up some really thick cardboard to roots blocking my path for installing some plants to food prep at lunch… I definitely wasn’t easy on it and was actually seeing how far I could push the envelope and it passed with flying colors…it’s a lot tougher than you might think and it slices like a scalpel 👏👏👏
Mat_ski

Post by Mat_ski »

Ok, since my last post here, I went back to using Chaparral a bit and I take back what I said that Sage 5 can replace the chap. It cannot, they are different enough.

But I still would like the chap in some high edge retention steel.
sal

Post by sal »

Mat_ski wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:30 pm

Hi Mat_ski,

That might come to pass with the FRN version. Do you have any particular steel in mind?

sal
Mat_ski

Post by Mat_ski »

sal wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:00 pm
Mat_ski wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:30 pm

Hi Mat_ski,

That might come to pass with the FRN version. Do you have any particular steel in mind?

sal
I really like k390. There is something really awesome about how it holds edge and the patina it develops. Maxamet is nice too, but I’m still learning to put a proper edge on it and I have yet to put it through its paces. I have yet to try s90v.

I would love to try either of these on the chap. Nothing wrong with XHP, but variety is good and variety is what makes me come back.
mikestp

Post by mikestp »

The Chaparral is one of my favorites. If it is being updated can I suggest removing the jimping? The thin blade of the Chaparral makes it feel more aggressive than other knives and the excellent shape of the handle combined with the intended lighter use of this knife make it unnecessary. Kapara and Lil Native both work very well in their intended roles without jimping.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:03 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:46 pm
RamZar wrote:
The FRN is my favorite too and today I used it all day from cutting up some really thick cardboard to roots blocking my path for installing some plants to food prep at lunch… I definitely wasn’t easy on it and was actually seeing how far I could push the envelope and it passed with flying colors…it’s a lot tougher than you might think and it slices like a scalpel 👏👏👏
Salty, thanks for trying the Chap in that capacity and for sharing you experience!! :clinking-mugs

THIS is exactly what I´d like more folks to do, just to end the myth "the Chap is only a "light duty" knife".

Not saying that it is NOT a great option for "light duty" TOO, not even saying that Sal probably designed it just for that - a gents knife that most won´t use "hard".

But just like some drugs were originally designed to cure a particular disease, and later on people found that they ALSO work great for others not originally in mind, the Chap can fill both roles.

- Conerning the way it is built I think no one can say the Chap FRN would be a "flimsy" light duty folder.
As I always say: The "all metal" aspect (liners, backspacer, lockbar) makes the knife feel surprisingly "heavy" (in a good way, like in "solid", "substantial") in hand for its slim and small package

- The lock up really is the opposite of "light duty". Just amazingly strong and without any whiggle due to the internal stop pin.

- That leaves the blade: Yes, it has thin stock - but like in that other thread about HRC hardness:
Blade stock thickness/thinness obviously is not the ONLY factor that determines how much a blade can take in real life use... And the Chap has that rather robust tip (broad leaf shape) and, right BECAUSE the blade is so thin and slicey one often does not have to use as much force as with a thicker blade.

So: Anyone who likes: Take the "hardest" folder task you actually perform with your Spyderco folders, and then try if the Chap(-blade) can take that too or not. I bet you will be surprised how tough that little guy is...;)

Now: Of course the Chap as a "hard use" little folder still (only) fills a clearly defined niche: The niche of occasions where one wants a supertough little folder, but with a superslim carry and is still being very stable in hand in use (this is what I love in the Chap: Having a "nothing" in size with me, but for occasional or even a bit more extended cutting it just works. Or as a little "companoion - claw" for a larger fixed blade).

If one plans on using a small folder all day long for tough cutting and slim carry does not matter at all:
Sure a thicker, more hand filling handle will be more comfortable...

... This actually bring me to a new idea: A Chap-like folder, but with a thick, contoured Shaman handle would be interesting to try (so roughly something like a "folding Mora Eldris... ;) )