Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: Chaparral

Post by kennethsime »

I handled a Chapparal for the first time yesterday. Absolutely a little leaf-bladed Native.

While I do like the knife a lot, I think it might be too small for me. I’m curious how you folks (Gernot) with large hands like this guy for EDC. I guess I’d have to spend some time with it to really know.

I did miss the Boye Dent. I loved the maple scales.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:57 pm
I handled a Chapparal for the first time yesterday. Absolutely a little leaf-bladed Native.

While I do like the knife a lot, I think it might be too small for me. I’m curious how you folks (Gernot) with large hands like this guy for EDC. I guess I’d have to spend some time with it to really know.

XL hands and I love it. I've often said I thought it was possibly the most practical EDC out there. The Bugout has taken that role for me quite often since it dropped, but the Chaparral is one of my favorite drop in pocket knives and a very classy knife that slices with the best. I think about it as a more capable DF2 than a N5.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:

Hey Kenneth,

- When it comes to the handle-size:
When using the choil, its large enough for EDC, no problem.
Actually a good, not cramped four finger grip for me then.

The Chap (when using the choil!) offers clearly more grip area than a Manix (behind the choil) or a Tenacious. (see pics below)
This is even enhanced by the flat handle end (no pinky hook whatsoever.

I think the Chap is kind of a "DFly for larger hands" in that regard and meant to be used choked up (the three and a half - ish finger grip behind the choil is doable too though).

Ergos are great anyway for being so thin.
No hotspots, more stable and locked in in my hand than a Native.

- When it comes to blade length
:
Whoever is happy with the cutting edge length the Native 5 offers, should be so also with the Chap. Pretty close in length (Spydercos specs say 2.42 edge on the Native, 2.35 on the FRN Chaparral)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

I was able to go to the opfocus sale this month and I got a Chaparral. What a wonderful knife can’t get it out of my hands. I agree with what everybody has said about it. Definitely a keeper.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Dnwrghtsr wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 5:59 am
I was able to go to the opfocus sale this month and I got a Chaparral. What a wonderful knife can’t get it out of my hands. I agree with what everybody has said about it. Definitely a keeper.
Congrats, enjoy it!

And don t hesitate to use the blade "hard" (for a folder), if such tasks should arise.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Man all this Chap talk is making me want one…always thought that thin lock bar access would get old real fast, but I recently got a Centofante 3 and it’s thin but not uncomfortable at all 🤔
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 6:23 am
Man all this Chap talk is making me want one…always thought that thin lock bar access would get old real fast, but I recently got a Centofante 3 and it’s thin but not uncomfortable at all 🤔
The Centofante has 2.5 mm [EDIT :Got that wrong, actually also 2,0 mm. Thanks R100 for correcting that!) blade stock, the Chap 2.00. I am pretty sure this will be true for the lockbars too.

Don't expect the Chap lock to be the most comfortable in the world to use! It is not.
But just fine and one could always make though not the lockbar thicker, but still easier to depress.

And, man, when it comes to extremely solid, blade play free lockup the Chap lock is just on its own level imo.

Get one! :smlling-eyes
I don't think you'll regret it. And if its just about getting to know that "unique concept" - superthin, but supersolid and actually "heavy" built (for its footprint!), and of course what that thin blade can take while just being so slicey.
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun May 14, 2023 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Thanks Brotha 👊 I can always count on you for knife specs…you mentioned earlier that it’s like a Dfly for larger hands and that got me fired up!!! also I don’t baby my knives and sounds like the Chap is solid especially with an internal stop pin…and I love the look of the lw 👍
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

I purchased and was going to use a Dragonfly if I needed a small knife but I like the Chaparral so much better. I will still use my para3 lw for walking running hiking, but the Chaparral will get a lot of daily pocket time.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Chaparral is a great knife! It's the model I gift the most. I like the ergos better than the dragonfly too. If you find yourself wanting slightly more grip the Sage 5 LW minus the lock is essentially a larger Chaparral.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Well I like my Sage 5 lw too so Chap just moved up my list, maybe to the top spot cause I can’t find a Salt 2 wharnie SE or a Tasman in H2 and I wanted to compare it to H1…plus I don’t have any CTS-XHP
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sun May 14, 2023 7:01 am
Thanks Brotha 👊 I can always count on you for knife specs…you mentioned earlier that it’s like a Dfly for larger hands and that got me fired up!!! also I don’t baby my knives and sounds like the Chap is solid especially with an internal stop pin…and I love the look of the lw 👍

Yes, it kind of is a "DFly for large hands" ... but in some ways also not, tbh ;)

- It is much "heavier" in relation to the overall size (but still not actually "heavy" with its 2.1 oz), but also really solid - steel liners, steel backspacer, steel lockbar.
- It offers a lot more blade and edge (close to a Native 5) than the DFly, while actually being not that much longer.

And yes, the LW looks really classy for an FRN knife!

Should you get one: You might want to thin it out a bit behind the edge to get the full benefit of the thin blade (not that it would not cut well out of the box, but at least mine still could be optimized)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:40 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Gernot, just wanted to say thanks for your thorough rundown. I haven’t bought one yet, but it’s definitely on the list!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It has been on my list for a while too. At this point, I might just wait for SE.
R100

Post by R100 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 6:46 am
The Centofante has 2.5 mm blade stock, the Chap 2.00. I am pretty sure this will be true for the lockbars too.

Don't expect the Chap lock to be the most comfortable in the world to use! It is not.
But just fine and one could always make though not the lockbar thicker, but still easier to depress.

And, man, when it comes to extremely solid, blade play free lockup the Chap lock is just on its own level imo.

I don't think you'll regret it. And if its just about getting to know that "unique concept" - superthin, but supersolid and actually "heavy" built (for its footprint!), and of course what that thin blade can take while just being so slicey.
The Centofante 3 has 2mm blade stock, the same as the Chap, but has less lock tension.

Dan
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

R100 wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 3:01 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 6:46 am
The Centofante has 2.5 mm blade stock, the Chap 2.00. I am pretty sure this will be true for the lockbars too.

The Centofante 3 has 2mm blade stock, the same as the Chap, but has less lock tension.

Dan
You are right of course and I was wrong!

The Delica has 2.5 mm, but the Centofante just 2 .
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 9:35 am
Sun May 14, 2023 7:01 am

Yes, it kind of is a "DFly for large hands" ... but in some ways also not, tbh ;)

- It is much "heavier" in relation to the overall size (but still not actually "heavy" with its 2.1 oz), but also really solid - steel liners, steel backspacer, steel lockbar.
- It offers a lot more blade and edge (close to a Native 5) than the DFly, while actually being not that much longer.

And yes, the LW looks really classy for an FRN knife!

Should you get one: You might want to thin it out a bit behind the edge to get the full benefit of the thin blade (not that it would not cut well out of the box, but at least mine still could be optimized)
Thank you for all your help Gernot…I’ve been away from my phone doing family stuff and landscaping or I would have gotten back sooner…definitely getting a Chap now👍👊
BigFishShamu

Post by BigFishShamu »

I think I’ve found my next Spydie! I was actually looking at the DF2 wharncliffe in VG-10, but the Sage I have sports my fav FRN. That Taichung FRN is soooo nice
“Stepping into the ring was the fight.”
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Hopefully, the enthusiasm for the FRN Chaparral will translate into some Dealer or Distributor Exclusive FRN Chaparral in different colors and steels. For instance, LC200N Green FRN, 20CV Blue FRN, MagnaCut Yellow FRN, Dark Blue FRN K390, etc.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:40 pm
That's how the PM2 looks in my hand!