Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
littlespoon

Re: Chaparral

Post by littlespoon »

There's a small gap between the scales and back lock mechanism on my newly bought Chaparral Sun & Moon. The screws are "bottomed out", but pressing firmly on the scales closes the gap. The overall build quality of the knife makes this feel like more than a nitpick and I would appreciate any advice.
Since the model is discontinued I'm not likely to get my hands on another one, and this was the last one in stock at the vendor I bought it from in Sweden. Ideally this is something I'd like to fix, rather than getting a refund.
I've thought about taking the knife apart, bending the liners and/or filing down the "spacers" that holds the screws in order to get them to go deeper, but that feels sketchy at best and I'm not really comfortable doing that without some feedback. It seems like a small shim or washer could maybe solve the problem...
Any ideas?
If this is the wrong place feel free to steer me to a right one.
Thanks!

https://postimg.cc/gallery/fDThHZp

Edit: Tried including images but got an error saying "Forbidden. Message seems to be spam."
The link above takes you to a gallery with 7 pictures trying to show the issue.
littlespoon

Post by littlespoon »

RamZar wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:31 pm
littlespoon wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:36 pm
Hi all,
New to the forum though a long time lurker. Just recently bought a Chaparral Sun & Moon and would like some input on some things I perceive as issues with fit and finish. Do I post in this thread, or is it better I start a new one?
All the best
Leo

Someone had some issues with their Chaparral Sun and Moon with scratches on the handle so you may want to post there after reading it:

Chaparral Sun and Moon scratches on handle from new question
Too late. Thank you, reading now...
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi there littlespoon, sorry to read that your Chap has that gap. In looking at your pics, it does seem that the inner barrel that holds those 2 lockbar bolts might be a bit too long. I recommend taking one screw off, and then push the barrel and other screw out with a very thin Wiha bit and the lockbar will pop out (you don’t need to take apart the whole knife). Gently and squarely/evenly sand one end of the barrel down a wee bit and then reinstall the lockbar by aligning and pushing it into place and sliding the barrel back in (still with one screw attached) to capture the lockbar properly (may take some wiggling but it’s fairly easy to do with a Chap). It’s a D-shaped barrel so you’ll need to align it properly to slide it back in the frame (the flat part is on top IIRC). Put the other lockbar bolt back on, not too tight or it interferes with proper lockbar movement, and see if you closed your gap. It only looks like that lockbar barrel is long, if it’s the rear one as well, then you’ll need to take the whole knife apart to do that (or at least remove the lockbar as well and repeat what I said above). Hope that helps and please report back if it does. Good luck, Radioactive

P.S. Forgot to add, definitely don’t bend the liners and washers/shims won’t help! I’m also referring to the T6 bolts as “screws” and vice versa above, I know they’re technically bolts. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
littlespoon

Post by littlespoon »

Hi Radioactive,

It worked!

Your help and detailed descriptions made it easy. It also gave me the confidence to just go ahead and do it.
This is a knife I'm going to use and it will become scratched and beat up over time, but that gap wouldn't have stopped bothering me and not the least in a practical sense, since it would've trapped dirt and grime.
The gap was only present in the front of the knife, so I only needed to work on the lockbar barrel.
I worked in small increments and ended up taking the lockbar barrel out three times, from both sides, before I was happy with how it turned out. I used a small diamond steel from Swedish maker Dianova (which is very good for sharpening secateurs without having to take them apart, because it's completely flat, and comes in a case that makes it easy to carry on your person while out pruning) to remove material and thought I'd use a pair of pliers to hold the barrel, but realized that in order to keep it as flat as possible it'd have to be a feel thing, so the piece of masking tape I put on the barrel to keep from marring it up ended up making it easier to hold on to by hand.
I did realize bending the liners would most likely be a bad idea and would probably mess with the tolerances which seem very tight on this knife, but I just wanted to throw it out there. While having the moon side scale off it was apparent that the liner didn't sit quite flush where the gap appeared with the scales on, and would need to be bolted down tighter in order to keep it pressed in place.
Your answer was the best I could have hoped for and a perfect example of why this forum has had me lurking for years.
Happy I signed up and very thankful for your help!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Excellent!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I know there’s an upcoming Chaparral with a XHP SpyderEdge Blade & Grey FRN scales.

It seems like Spyderco has given up on introducing new handle materials which was one of the original missions of the Chaparral line. The last Chaparral with a new handle material was Birdseye Maple which was at dealers in January 2021. Perhaps like the Sage line, we’ll soon end up with just FRN scales for the Chaparral line as well due to the price. That’ll be a shame.

Currently, these are the only Chaparral models still in the 2024 catalog (current dealer prices included):
  1. Chaparral CTS-XHP Birdseye Maple - $207.00
  2. Chaparral CTS-XHP Raffir Noble Composite Scales - $185.25
  3. Chaparral CTS-XHP Gray FRN - $125.25

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:26 pm
It seems like Spyderco has given up on introducing new handle materials which was one of the original missions of the Chaparral line. The last Chaparral with a new handle material was Birdseye Maple which was at dealers in January 2021. Perhaps like the Sage line, we’ll soon end up with just FRN scales for the Chaparral line as well due to the price. That’ll be a shame.
Why would you just assume that? You know Sal always says they have a lot going on there. Maybe there's just other projects that have a higher priority

I don't have time to search through catalogs or Spydiewiki, how long was it between Rafir Noble and the handle material prior to that? Quite awhile I imagine
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:25 pm
RamZar wrote:
Why would you just assume that? You know Sal always says they have a lot going on there. Maybe there's just other projects that have a higher priority

I don't have time to search through catalogs or Spydiewiki, how long was it between Rafir Noble and the handle material prior to that? Quite awhile I imagine

I say that because they discontinued two Chaparral models in August 2023 and then announced another FRN model in October 2023.

The Sage line went along the same path, that is, only two FRN models remain (S30V & Maxamet) and two more FRN models are upcoming (SPY27 & REX121). Sage used to showcase different locking mechanisms and additionally came with different handle materials. Now, it’s just Compression Lock and just FRN.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I hope they continue to use the chaparral to try different scales. I'd like to see some of that crazy blue rafir scale material someone posted a while ago. Now that the cf laminate version is discontinued, maybe they could do a marbled CF version.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

A marbled or crosscut CF Chap would be amazing! I hope there are more Chaps on the horizon, it’s such a great design and now nearly completely dominates my office carry.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
sal

Post by sal »

I had hoped that the Chaparral project would hang in there more effectively. When we disco'd the Titanium versions, which I thought were very special, I realized the market wouldn't support the model. We'll continue to offer different handles as unique materials become available. I would also guess the FRN version will continue due to the lower cost. I would also guess that the earlier versions will appreciate.

Try and find a Kopa these days.

sal
Saucerito

Post by Saucerito »

Any word on the status of the serrated version and if it will have similar “wavy” serrations as the Caribbean?
:bug-red-white Para Military 2, Sage 1, Sage 5 LW, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue, Delica 4 LW FFG, Delica 4 LW Wharncliffe 20CV (KnifeJoy), Persistence, Resilience, Bow River, Stretch 2 XL SE, UKPK Salt, UKPK Drop Point Red G10 (Heinnie Haynes), Caribbean SE, Spydiechef, Endura 4 Wharncliffe, Endela, Salt 2 (RIP - Galveston Bay), Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (RIP - Gulf of Mexico), Centofante III (sold) :bug-red-white
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:25 pm

Chaparral Sun & Moon was at dealers in August 2020 followed by Chaparral Birdseye Maple less than six months later in January 2021.

1. Chaparral CPM-S30V CF/G-10 Laminate - 2011
  2. Chaparral CTS-XHP CF/G-10 Laminate - 2013
  3. Chaparral CTS-XHP Titanium - 2012
  4. Chaparral CTS-XHP Stepped Titanium - 2014
  5. Chaparral CTS-XHP Blue Stepped Titanium - 2015
  6. Chaparral CTS-XHP Raffir Noble Composite - 2017
  7. Chaparral CTS-XHP Gray FRN - 2017
  8. Chaparral CTS-XHP Sun & Moon White G-10 (Red G-10 Inlay) & Black G-10 (Mother-of-Pearl Inlay) - AUG 2020
  9. Chaparral CTS-XHP Birdseye Maple - JAN 2021
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

I stand by my opinion that I would greatly appreciate a chapparal with an upgraded steel. Xhp is okay and works well for the knife and it's intended purpose... I guess it is just a want.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:55 pm
... I would also guess the FRN version will continue due to the lower cost. ..
vilePossum wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:33 am
I stand by my opinion that I would greatly appreciate a chapparal with an upgraded steel. Xhp is okay and works well for the knife and it's intended purpose... I guess it is just a want.
Now, Sal your wording "I would also guess the FRN version will continue.." sounds actually less positive than I would have hoped... :/ ... which is that the FRN version would of course remain in the lineup and even be or become popular enough for "...colors, exclusive variations and who knows what else" as you laid out in a thread two years ago (see hereviewtopic.php?p=1613132#p1613132)

Should the Chap FRN NOT be or become popular and well selling enough for more variants, this would be really hard to believe to me, especially in the context of people who plain and simple like amazingly made, real cutting tools... I mean its bomb proof built, supersolid backlock, thin and slim carry, great blade to handle ratio and especially thin and slicey, but in my testing still pretty indestructible blade are hard to beat and even in Spydercos lineup not to be found like that on any other model!!

/ @ vilePossum: I love XHP, but I also think the Chap should come in more steel (and other!) variants - especially a "Salt" (perhaps also high viz?) version would probably make more people try it and boost its popularity - again, I can´t see how anyone who appreciates a real cutting tool could not like the Chap FRN.
Actually started a thread about this once viewtopic.php?p=1614611#p1614611
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Talking about scale options...I would love to see another iteration in Ti like this one. So beautiful when the sunlight hits the scales.

PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RamZar wrote:
It seems like Spyderco has given up on introducing new handle materials which was one of the original missions of the Chaparral line. ....

I really like the approach of having one model showcasing various handle materials, and the Chap is a good platform for that indeed!

BUT, that said: Especially with the Chap, given the choice between more handle material variants or more variants of the FRN model (steel, color, blade shape...) I´d choose the latter.

This is because the Chap platform is so unique even in Spydercos lineup and thus should be made to fullfill more peoples needs in a practical sense... and this means for example a rustproof version, a superhigh wear resistance version, a wharnie version, you name it.

OR: They expand the Chap concept to another model (2 mm ffg blade, superthin carry, supersturdy built and backlock with stop pin, best blade to handle ratio...)

... And I´ll take the opportunity to bring up my personal "dream knife" Chaparral XL once more... :smirk (viewtopic.php?p=1377379#p1377379) - I am of the opinion that a bit longer folders actually profit even MORE from a thin blade than short ones (since also real slicing tasks lend themselves towards using longer blades).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Warstein,

Regarding the future of models, my crystal ball needs glasses. The success of a model, to keep it in the line, is a matter of demand. There are a few exceptions made for law enforcement, but in general, if the market does not want it enough to support the inventory, then it has to go. That doesn't mean it's a bad product, design or poor quality, it just means the market to support it is not large enough. (A lesson for you entrepreneurs).

If we end up with other steels, it will be in the FRN model. I would like your thoughts on that.

Hey Paul,

That was a very difficult design to create and execute. It was supposed to be the first version, but it was taking too long to refine so we used the Carbon version first. It was supposed to be my intro to the design. .007 difference in height from the low points to the high points, and balancing the design took weeks. And very challenging to machine. The design was based on the "Stealth Bomber". It ended up more costly that hoped, which I believe contributed to the lower sales.

sal
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

I hope Chap will get better in terms of sales - one of the best small designs from Spyderco, kinda blend of Kopa and Walker C22 - extremely good slicer in small elegant body.

Just to be sure, I need to purchase few pieces in case it would get discontinued, I love my FRN model.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I’d like to see a Chaparral MagnaCut Yellow FRN before the old chap says goodbye.

By the way, the Chaparral Stepped Titanium (without blue anodizing) is a stunning piece of functional art. Very time-consuming and expensive 3D CNC machining.