Do you use your Spyderco or just collect them?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Do you get a new Spyderco and use it, or do you buy it to keep up with the Kardashians?

I am guilty a little bit, some knives, like Sprints or Exclusives, Im afraid to use thinking they may get more valuable as time moves on.

The reason I ask, is that this forum seems to be all about asking for an "improved" version of a specific knife in production. Thread after thread is " how about this" "What say you"? Things like, how about an XL version, a smaller version, This steel, different lock, a Salt version, a LW version, a Micarta scales, Titanium? New color, G10, Can we add jimping, I hate the jimping, Boye dent, no I dont like, yes I do

Does anyone actually use their knives? Where is the in use pictures? Where are the scratched up blades from use? Where are the stories of a Spyderco saving your life?

I feel like most people that post here are office workers that never use their knives to potential.

Like I said im guilty but I would love to see Dave Canterbury carry a Shaman for a month and hear his opinion.

The Ayoob thread is still alive thanks to JD, where are all the pics of it in use? None. People bought it and pushed it aside to the collection.
soc_monki

Re: Do you use your Spyderco or just collect them?

Post by soc_monki »

I use. Even sprints and exclusives. Yes, some get more use than others, but I do use them all.

Most of the time I'm too busy using them to take pictures of them being used... Lol
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

There's a long thread titled What did you use your Spyderco for last?

I posted my Ayoob in use photo there.

If people want to buy a safe queen, I don't see how it's any of my business.

I carry every knife I buy, but I don't have a job that requires me to be cutting things frequently.

Most of my knife use involves yard maintenance. For these tasks, I reach for a fixed blade rather than a folder, as I find the former easier to clean afterward.

I'm at an age where I'm close to retirement, and I have a little disposable income to spend as I want, so I buy knives because they give me enjoyment. If something needs cutting, then the knife gets used. Otherwise, it just rides in my pocket.

I occasionally chime in on some request threads when someone brings up a suggestion that I feel has merit. These forums are, after all, a means of gathering feedback that may be used for future product improvement. It's up to Spyderco's management to discern which ideas might be worth pursuing.
ayoob_03.jpg
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I actually prefer to use the sprints and exclusives. Those are the knives that tend to come in the better steels, so why let them sit?? Sitting on knives for years and years in hopes of getting $100-200 profit is very silly to me.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

I’ve got about 20 spydies. I use them all, on a rotation of course so some see much less time than others.

My smock I primarily fidget with, but I use it occasionally too.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Like the vast majority of the people on this forum, I do both! I’m just not afraid to admit I’m a collector.
-Nick :bug-red
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I am just glad people are buying them no matter what they intend them for. Keeps Spyderco in business and allows for some unique and interesting models.

I do like getting an exclusive in a model I like. It instantly becomes a user. If you like a model and can get it in an interesting and more preferrable steel then those are the best to get the most use. Nothing against S30V and black, but I would prefer something that interest me to use.

As far as the request and sizes. This is a customer forum after all. Some customers may be very intrigued with a model for certain reasons, but it doesn't fit their hands or has a feature they don't prefer. I do not see any harm in gauging interest or tweaks. Assuming it is done in a respectful manner. I can't imagine Sal or Spyderco minds either or they probably wouldn't keep this forum open.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:34 pm
The Ayoob thread is still alive thanks to JD, where are all the pics of it in use? None. People bought it and pushed it aside to the collection.

I'm guilty of this. Mostly because of local knife laws. Even when I lived in an area with fewer restrictions, I pretty much carried my Sage 2 exclusively. There's just something about that knife.

I have an uneasy relationship with my knives and what I actually use on a daily basis. I keep coming back to the idea that if I can't (or won't) carry the knife, then why have it? Regarding the Ayoob, I wanted to support JD and his monumental effort to bring this knife back to life. Then you add on the story Sal shared about helping the maker get back on their feet. I'm glad I bought the knife; I love a good story.

There are other knives that I enjoy, and even though I don't use them often. I would miss them if I sold or traded them (P4 LW). I know that sounds weird. I have a hard time being super practical about my knives. I don't think I could easily sell off any knife that doesn't meet local knife laws. More to the point, I don't want to. But at the same time I am resistant to the idea of collecting. I know that brings a sense of satisfaction to some. I just look at the knives and think, "Why do I keep buying something I can't fully use?"

So I have a handful of knives. Only my Janlica sees consistent time out and about. A couple sit on my desk because I like them so much. The rest are in a box. I don't consider myself a collector, but maybe I'm in denial.
miohin

Post by miohin »

I (at my current stage of life) do not have the money to be a collector and use mine. Like Mikey above, mine mostly ride in the pocket waiting for their time of use. I find a knife to be a item that is very helpful to have around, even if it is not being used constantly.

My primary joy is using them when I can, introducing others to them, learning to sharpen, and learning about the various models, steels, etc. So, for example, while I may not have a "hard use" case for a super steel knife or sprint (ie 15V Manix), I am still intrigued enough by learning more about individual steels, using, and sharpening them to consider the prospect of buying one.
Lurker
vivi

Post by vivi »

I exclusively purchase knives to use them.

My knife collection was an accident. I never purchased a knife for the sake of collecting, but I did amass one by buying various cutting tools I needed over the years.

No matter how much I like a particular knife, if it doesn't see regular use, I consider getting rid of it. Even if it's a sprint run I won't be able to purchase again or something discontinued.
:unicorn
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

First and foremost, collectors and users are not mutually exclusive.
-Nick :bug-red
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Yes.

I've never bought I knife I'm not willing to carry and use as a knife for appropriate knife tasks. Problem is, I've accumulated so many at this point, it's just not possible that they all see a ton of use.. many of them still look brand new.

Hah, I've never quite understood the insinuations that knife-carrying office workers are somehow "less-than".. I've worked a number of jobs over the years in various environments and have always carried a knife.. construction, landscaping, movie theater manager, group home counselor, and now as an office manager (yes, I know, the peak of softness..).. the truth is though, the actual tasks I've used a knife for are all remarkably similar despite working in each of these different fields.. at a certain point, knife use becomes knife abuse and there is a more appropriate tool for the job. Granted, I admit to abusing a knife or two in my construction/landscaping days.. I guess maybe abused knives make for better pictures? Idk.. I guess my point here is that I consider someone who carries a knife daily and uses it for appropriate cutting tasks in an office to be just as much of a "user" as someone working in other fields..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Danke

Post by Danke »

They get used.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have good intentions, but some go unused because of stronger preferences for other models so I guess some do end up getting purchased and kept for collection reasons.
Last edited by Evil D on Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

I try to use all the knives. It doesn't seem like you can get rich from getting a limited edition or sprint run knife. I see sprint runs that maybe increase by 150 dollars after 10+ years so really there is no gain when you consider inflation on regular everyday items anyways.

If you want to flip or collect something for cash then flip a rolex lol 10g increase in value in seconds.
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
Ballex

Post by Ballex »

Ayoob helping out installing fences for winter coming.
2BCCB9BA-4D59-42BA-8FA8-0F6C46D89717.jpeg
cjk

Post by cjk »

I use the pocketknife on my person daily. I don't buy anything that I don't intend to use, but some stuff gets used a lot less than other stuff. Like a lot of other folks, I go through phases. I've found that one of the Jazz Delica, Browuer, or UKPK can stay in my pocket for weeks on end. Knives get swapped out for interest and variety. Even though I've considered myself a small knife person, for the past several days I've been carrying an Endura. I'm liking it a lot and my "small knife guy" tune is changing as a result.

I do sometimes buy what I'd call "man jewelry". For example, the Ti Chaparral. Even that gets carried and used, albeit much less often.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:23 am
^This

I'm an "accidental" collector as I never intended to have a collection. I do have a sizable one now, however. That said, a large portion get used, but with so many it is difficult to use all of them to level they deserve.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:23 am
This.

I do both.

I beat the crap out of my VG-10s and S30Vs, but tend to keep the more exotic steels and sprints on the knife boxes, although mainly due to the impossibility of replacing them.

I don't use (or rarely, rarely use) my RECs or my St. Nick's, but I also don't intend to flip them. I just don't get the thought that if you don't use your knives, it's assumed that you are keeping them for investment purposes. I just like collecting stuff as do most people; and in the process some of those in the collection do get used.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That's missing out on the fun of the exclusives and sprints, they are different BECAUSE of the steels most of the time! Everyone here has more than enough knives that if you scratch one or somehow break it, even though you can't replace it...there's always plenty of more options down the pipeline!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick