Are there any Watu fans out there ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Are there any Watu fans out there ?

Post by elena86 »

I really hope we are going to see a CQI Watu which will solve that annoying kick problem but that aside a love my Watu. It’s a supreme slicer, it carries very well and I like the neutral ergos. 20CV steel is just a bonus. Some find it ugly but I find it packs a beautiful simplicity. All in all, it performs like a champ for most given cutting chores. I am curious how it sells because it seems to me that it doesn’t get much love on this forum. I hope I am wrong though.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
TomahawkT10

Re: Are there any Watu fans out there ?

Post by TomahawkT10 »

I really like it, and would own it, but the constant choice of Carbon Fiber or Titanium for knives which are meant to be heritage or ethnic makes no sense. These knives should have wooden handles or something more in keeping with their origins. The swayback is another example, an old school design with Titanium handles? Would be ten times better with wood or some other material more representative and in keeping with its origins.
Last edited by TomahawkT10 on Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I love my Watu! I have no criticisms of it - it cuts and handles well in an appealing off-the-wall design.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I love mine. I tend to use my Chokwe more though, because the size of the Watu makes it fall in a category in wich I often pick another knife.
The blade is as good of a slicer as the one of the Chaparral, with a better tip !

It's an excellent knife, I just can't seem to stop having horizontal blade play with it, must be one of the reason I do not carry it often anymore.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

It took me a while to get a Watu because I'm not fond of handles with holes in them. But after using it, I found that the holes aren't bothersome at all.

The kick/nub doesn't bother me. I've come to accept it as a quirk of some compression lock models.
watu_03.jpg
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Love everything about the knife except the CF handles. Those wood handle scales are nice, but expensive though
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Some bone scales would be awesome.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

TomahawkT10

Post by TomahawkT10 »

It should look like this right out the box.

(Photo credit - TkoK83Spy)
Last edited by TomahawkT10 on Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:13 am
I love mine. I tend to use my Chokwe more though, because the size of the Watu makes it fall in a category in wich I often pick another knife.
The blade is as good of a slicer as the one of the Chaparral, with a better tip !

It's an excellent knife, I just can't seem to stop having horizontal blade play with it, must be one of the reason I do not carry it often anymore.
I had the same problem with one of mine( I own 4 now) but I solved it. My advice: remove the pivot screw, put some blue loctite and tweak it until it has no play and leave it dry in the open position. The action on mine is a little stiff but at least I got rid of that annoying blade play.
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I will be a Watu fan when there is an XL version.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:13 am
I had the same problem with one of mine( I own 4 now) but I solved it. My advice: remove the pivot screw, put some blue loctite and tweak it until it has no play and leave it dry in the open position. The action on mine is a little stiff but at least I got rid of that annoying blade play.
Yeah I disassembled and reassembled a couple of times. When I get rid of the blade play I gain the mighty lock stick :winking-tongue . I'll manage to get it there sooner than later !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Michal O

Post by Michal O »

I like it Image
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I think the Watu is superb! Mine is flawless and the nub does not bother me. It is larger than your typical 3 inch folder, with only slightly less blade than a PM2. The grip area is surprisingly spacious and provides a full 4 finger grip.

I agree wood scales would have been a better fit given the ethnic theme, but I like the look and durability of the CF as a material in general.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

TomahawkT10 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:05 am

Geeeez, that photo looks awfully familiar ;)

Those scales were very nice, Trifect Customs I believe is where I got those from. I ended up selling it to a member here though, I had a few "other" brands that took its place as my fancy knives. The Watu is one heck of slicer, very unique knife, but just didn't meet my needs after a while.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I almost passed on the Watu because I thought laminated CF seemed like an odd choice for this knife considering the inspiration. It ticked all the other boxes for me though so I gave it a go and glad I did. It's a great slicer and the coffin handle is very comfortable in my hand. When I saw the trifecta scales I grabbed a set and while not as practical as the original scales they give the knife a look that I just love and it's one of my most used knives.

-Turbo
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I think the Watu is underrated - but I don't see a lot of fans complaining over it. I think the response is mostly positive. It's one of the best examples of minimalism from Spyderco and I love mine too; it just doesn't get too much pocket time since I treat it mostly like a gentleman's knife.

8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

What about a XL version?!?!? Watu Size Increase, or WATUSI for short.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:31 am
What about a XL version?!?!? Watu Size Increase, or WATUSI for short.
It's called the Chokwe !

Sildani

Post by Sildani »

@fireman: I see what you did there.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:58 pm
TomahawkT10 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:05 am

Geeeez, that photo looks awfully familiar ;)

Those scales were very nice, Trifect Customs I believe is where I got those from. I ended up selling it to a member here though, I had a few "other" brands that took its place as my fancy knives. The Watu is one heck of slicer, very unique knife, but just didn't meet my needs after a while.
I’m not a modder, but if I was, my Watu would look like this to be as fantastic a looker as it is a slicer.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”